4.0 out of 5 stars Harmony at it's BEST!
Published on 14 Nov. 1999 by Jennifer Myers

3.0 out of 5 stars Ladysmith Black Mambazo
It was o.k. I have heard the songs before so I knew what to expect. As a previous reviewer has stated, many of the songs begin to sound all the same after a time. Nevertheless, a pleasant sound and enjoyable.
Published on 20 May 2013 by Amazon Customer

4.0 out of 5 stars Harmony at it's BEST!, 14 Nov. 1999
This review is from: The Star and Wiseman: The Best of Ladysmith Black Mambazo (Audio CD)
There is no sound like that of a chorus of South African voices in perfect harmony. Harmonising goes back years in South African culture and nobody does it better. (If you like such music, take a look at the 1995 Rugby World Cup "Anthems" CD. The competition was held in South Africa, so Ladysmith are featured quite a bit.) On this CD, they join up with some great artists (Dolly Parton, Paul Simon, China Black and PJ Powers) to provide brilliant renditions of some classics we all know - like "Swing Low Sweet Chariot" and "Diamonds on the Soles of her Shoes." Overall, a great CD.

5.0 out of 5 stars It depends on your choice of music., 1 Dec. 2011
I enjoy Ladysmith Black Mambazo very much I don't understand their language but I enjoy the beat, the energy and the general sound and the skill that their songs are put together. I saw them live at the Bridgewater Hall Manchester a few year ago and they were fantastic.

4.0 out of 5 stars Relaxing and exotic, 5 Oct. 2005
By A Customer
This is a wonderful album that has some fabulous songs on, especially the different versions of popular songs we know and love, such as "Swing low". It's great for those long drives too as it takes the boredom away! :-)

5.0 out of 5 stars The Star and Wiseman: The Best of Ladysmith Black Mamboza, 20 Feb. 2013
J. Sharkey (U.K.) - See all my reviews
I got the album a few days ago and as a student I have a lot of free time and have been listening to it nonstop. As you might expect I 'discovered' these from the classic Paul Simon album Graceland [25th Anniversary Edition]. I can personally listen to this all the time as in my mind I see it as easy listening. I am also new to this type of music so I don't have anything to compare it to, so this might not be useful to the more experienced listener.

There isn't one song of the twenty on here that I didn't thoroughly enjoy, which isn't something that happens often for me as I'm quite 'love-hate' with music. The performances of the more popular songs and the ones featuring singing in English are all fantastic. Also, all of the performances from the guest performers are great as well.

To a newbie to this style of music I was thoroughly entertained throughout the whole track list so I highly recommend giving this a listen. The classic tracks performed will likely be enjoyed by most, so even if you just want to get a taste of the style then you will probably be able to take something away from it.

Any recommendations for great artists of world music would be greatly appreciated. Thanks.

5.0 out of 5 stars Drift away, 22 May 2013
Enjoyed the version of Paul Simons -Diamonds on the soles of her shoes- immensely. Then drifted away in the deep Zulu voices and memories of Kwa-Zulu Natal.

4.0 out of 5 stars Good in parts, 1 Dec. 2012
The best tracks are their trade mark close harmony arrangements. Some of the cover tracks are ruined for me by an insistent synthesizer beat and reggae treatment which does not showcase their unique sound. Fortunately there is enough of the good stuff to jump to over the weaker tracks.

3.0 out of 5 stars Ladysmith Black Mambazo, 20 May 2013

4.0 out of 5 stars Smooth, 28 Feb. 2013
A very enjoyable record. Good late night listening. Some of the duets with "famous" people I could do without. This group can stand on its own.

5.0 out of 5 stars Tingling down the back of the neck, 27 Oct. 2010
Mrs. Z. A. Hughes "Zoe Hug" (Winscombe, UK) - See all my reviews
Some of the tracks on this cd give me tingles on the back of my
neck. Always a good sign that this music is special. It has a
spiritual quality.

5.0 out of 5 stars i have always liked this group, 6 July 2013
since Ladysmith came to England and recorded this disc I was hooked on the rythem but I had to get this copy as I lost my original one

The Star and Wiseman: The Best of Ladysmith Black Mambazo
The Star and Wiseman: The Best of Ladysmith Black Mambazo by Ladysmith Black Mambazo (Audio CD - 2014)