4.0 out of 5 stars Harmony at it's BEST!
Published on 14 Nov 1999 by Jennifer Myers

3.0 out of 5 stars How could they do that?
Published 9 months ago by J. Gooch

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 | Next ›

4.0 out of 5 stars Harmony at it's BEST!, 14 Nov 1999
This review is from: The Star and Wiseman: The Best of Ladysmith Black Mambazo (Audio CD)
There is no sound like that of a chorus of South African voices in perfect harmony. Harmonising goes back years in South African culture and nobody does it better. (If you like such music, take a look at the 1995 Rugby World Cup "Anthems" CD. The competition was held in South Africa, so Ladysmith are featured quite a bit.) On this CD, they join up with some great artists (Dolly Parton, Paul Simon, China Black and PJ Powers) to provide brilliant renditions of some classics we all know - like "Swing Low Sweet Chariot" and "Diamonds on the Soles of her Shoes." Overall, a great CD.

4.0 out of 5 stars Relaxing and exotic, 5 Oct 2005
By A Customer
This is a wonderful album that has some fabulous songs on, especially the different versions of popular songs we know and love, such as "Swing low". It's great for those long drives too as it takes the boredom away! :-)

5.0 out of 5 stars It depends on your choice of music., 1 Dec 2011
I enjoy Ladysmith Black Mambazo very much I don't understand their language but I enjoy the beat, the energy and the general sound and the skill that their songs are put together. I saw them live at the Bridgewater Hall Manchester a few year ago and they were fantastic.

5.0 out of 5 stars Drift away, 22 May 2013
Enjoyed the version of Paul Simons -Diamonds on the soles of her shoes- immensely. Then drifted away in the deep Zulu voices and memories of Kwa-Zulu Natal.

4.0 out of 5 stars Ladysmith, 23 Feb 2011
I have never been to Africa but this CD and its music helps me to fire my imagination of red soil roads and wide open expanses.

4.0 out of 5 stars Four Stars, 12 July 2014
Good selection for fans of this music

5.0 out of 5 stars Did I like it, 19 Mar 2014
Yes I did ,it gives you a good glimpse of Africa,adding to my collection ,I now have 6cds of this brilliant group.

5.0 out of 5 stars Relaxation, 5 Mar 2014
Love this CD. Wonderful for an evening chilling out on your own with candles on & a glass of wine.

3.0 out of 5 stars How could they do that?, 9 Oct 2013
J. Gooch "d6 music" (Cheshire UK) - See all my reviews
I have quite a good collection of music that ranges right across the spectrum of genres. Punk, heavy metal, rock, reggae, jazz, jazz fusion, classical etc etc but I don't have much "World" music. Recently I decided to rectify that and given it's an area of music that I know little about I decided it was ok to buy some compilation best of type albums - something I rarely do in my more natural genres as if I end up liking something I'll inevitably buy more by the same artist if not their entire catalogue and therefore the compilation becomes a waste of money. Anyways I thought that an unknown area could be a safe exception. Wrong. This otherwise superb selection of LBMs work is spoilt by some poor choices of tracks. I love the proper South African stuff and the two tracks from Simon's Graceland but why did LBM ever record Swing Low, Knockin' on Heavens Door and Chain Gang. I am not saying the musicianship or vocals are poor but these tracks just don't fit on this otherwise excellent introduction to their music. I am putting these blips down to some stupid record company executive and not LBM themselves. Hence a 5 star album demoted to 3 stars. Shouldn't have bought a compilation!

4.0 out of 5 stars Something different., 8 Oct 2013
This is a step away from my usual country and western listening but the harmonizing and quality of the voices can easily relate.

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 | Next ›

The Star and Wiseman: The Best of Ladysmith Black Mambazo
The Star and Wiseman: The Best of Ladysmith Black Mambazo by Ladysmith Black Mambazo (Audio CD - 2014)