Format: Audio CD|Change

on 27 December 2013
The sound on this CD, for the live recording of the concerto, is ample and lovely. Both orchestra and soloist are well served, and the balance is good. The first movement is the strongest, where Barenboim and Vengerov create a sense of friendly rivalry as they energetically develop the thematic material. There's energy and excitement to it. Vengerov plays his own cadenza, and very nice it is. The second and third movements are more ordinary. There's plangency to Vengerov's playing in the second movement, but the orchestra seems too unyieldingly present, and one misses the raptness of, say, Sonnenberg's account with De Waart. And likewise in the final movement, for all the accomplished playing, orchestra and soloist fail to catch the wit of the ending -- it doesn't lack charm, but it's a bit ordinary.

The Brahms Sonata no.3 is a bit disappointing. The balance seems slightly off -- at least the piano sounds a bit muddy -- and the music comes at you at much the same level all the time. In the Suk/Katchen recording, the sound isn't as up-to-date, but one hears more variety, light and shade, from both pianist and violinist. I'm guessing that Vengerov and Barenboim weren't as familiar with one another in chamber music as Suk and Katchen were.
on 17 December 2006
I'm not an expert on the Violin repetoire and have just started to explore it a little. I've been familiar with Barenboim as a concert pianist for a long time though and brought this one on the basis of his reputation.

Really pleased with it. The Brahms D major concerto itself is lovely - at 6 minutes and 46 seconds in you get the first appearance of that haunting melody and Vengerov delivers it beautifully. A great Cadenza and the 3rd movement is fabulous.

Vengerov generates power as well as emotion here and I'll definitely be buying more of his recordings based on my experience with this one. An almost father and son pairing of conductor and performer that works extremely well.

I enjoyed the D Minor performance too but really brought this for the D Major concerto.

Comfortably recommended.
on 28 February 2014
I love everything Maxim Vengerov does, and this is no exception. Together with Daniel Barenboim, this is a beautiful CD.
on 2 July 2010
The Brahms concerto is well known for its demands on the solist (I believe that it was declared 'unplayable in public' by its dedicatee) so it needs a virtuoso violinist and yes, this is a virtuoso performance. However, virtuosity must be subservient to musicality and I don't feel that Vengerov is truly sympathetic to the 'inwardness' intrinsic in Brahms's music (often simulatneously with extrovert rhythm and dynamics). This is very much a personal matter, and others will disagree, but if you recognise what I am saying about Brahms, I think you will probably feel the same!
on 8 November 2014
Wonderful, wonderful violin concerto performed by my favourite violinist Maxim Vengerov and conducted by my favourite conductor (and genius) Daniel Barenboim.
VINE VOICEon 2 September 2009
but then when is Vengerov not outstanding. It was the other bloke I was worried about but I needn't have been because the two sit together and complement each other beautifully, the attack of the soloist with the safe hands of the old master.
on 20 November 2015
quite pleasant to listen to/
on 2 November 2013
My husband heard this being played on Classic FM and really liked the piece he heard but hasn't enjoyed the rest of the cd as much. Good recording and arrived in perfect condition. Just a problem with our taste in music!