5.0 out of 5 stars Truly Soulful
Published on 26 Aug 2001 by hotclarke@hotmail.com

3.0 out of 5 stars Difficult, Introspective... essential?
This is a difficult album: introspective, deliberate, meditative and specific. Written shortly after the death of his parents, Sting weaves a musical tapestry around his bereavement and comes up with something that, if not impenetrable, is sometimes a little hard to like. Stings strengths are apparent: distinctive voice, literate writing, outstanding musicianship all...
Published on 13 Aug 2004 by Mr. A. Rigby

5.0 out of 5 stars Truly Soulful, 26 Aug 2001
This review is from: The Soul Cages (Audio CD)
I first heard this album when a friend taped it for me. He told me that it made him want to laugh and cry at the same time. When I listened to it I felt the same. "All This Time" (this CD also includes the video to this track - highly amusing!) and "Mad About You" are maybe less emotive than the rest. "St Agnes on the Burning Train" is a wonderful instrumental track and the fantastic "Jeremiah Blues", to me, seems to echo the confusion in Sting's life at that time. The others are breathtaking: especially "Island of Souls", "When Angels Fall" and "Wild Wild Sea". The latter is my favourite track, I can listen to it over and over and still it brings tears to my eyes because of it's beauty. The lyrics are gorgeous and the artwork in the booklet is nice, but maybe does not echo the feel of the songs as well as I'd want them to. If you want music that sounds truly soulful and makes your heart ache buy this album - I have never heard music as deeply poignant and emotive as this.

5.0 out of 5 stars Brilliance in mobid beauty, 25 May 2002
This review is from: The Soul Cages (Audio CD)
This album is a meditation on the concept of death and grief. Although panned by many of the critics this is, in my opinion, Mr Sumner's best album. Here he forces the listener to ask some profound questions on life and death then leaves room for contemplation. The room comes from a beautiful spaciousness provided by some sparce music in tracks such as "When the Angels Fall," "Island of Souls" and "Wild Wild Sea." These are moody and sombre in tone while the busy rhythms of "Jerimiah Blues" and the classic "Mad About You" provide welcome contrast.
Those who may doubt the worth of this album need look (or should that be listen) no further than the beautiful "Why Should I cry For You." This song (which on tour Sting dedicated to his Father) contains some of the most beautifully evocative lyrics I have heard in years set against a soothing, yet powerful, world music beat.
This album helped me to understand grief and many times since has provided me with a place for reflection in difficult times. It could work for you too.

5.0 out of 5 stars takes getting used to but..., 8 July 2004
This review is from: The Soul Cages (Audio CD)
... it's truly a thing of beauty. Whenever "Wild wild sea" comes on, I stop whatever I'm doing to marvel at one of the most evocative pop songs I know. It immediately sucks me in and I'm in the heart of the dreamscape I think Sting is creating. And I'm still not sure till now if its the lyrics or the instrumentation that gets me everytime. For me, this song alone is enough reason to buy the album.
And then there's "When the angels fall". Simply fab. Plus it has a great line about "churches falling in mighty arcs of sound".
The livelier songs on the album don't disappoint either. "Mad about you" is terribly catchy. "Jeremiah blues" is, as it says on the tin, a rollicking blues number. Often dance round the room with this on full blast.
A lot of introspection going on, which may be a bit too much for some but it's just fine with me. Life ain't always a party.
The only song I'm ambivalent about is "St Agnes and the burning train". Melodious and direct enough, but seems a bit too easy, a bit corny (enough steel guitar already!). So it seems out of synch with the rest of the album and makes me cringe ever so slightly. Must have seemed like a good idea at the time, I guess.

5.0 out of 5 stars Many layers, wonderous things, 31 Dec 2001
C. J. Langdon "clangdon7" (scotland) - See all my reviews
This review is from: The Soul Cages (Audio CD)
I understand that the music press have criticised the Soul Cages as Turgid and heavy going amongst other things. I must disagree. Sting would probably clump me for saying so but there is something Gothic about this album in the classic sense, not in the sense of 80s fashion statement. The songs may not be seen by everyone as immediately accessible but like all really good music, as you listen the music unfolds like and ornately jewelled puzzle box. This collection does not fade and become jaded to the ear like so much contemporary music but reveals more treasure that deepens the fascination and pleasure of listening to it each time

4.0 out of 5 stars Dark brilliance, 6 July 2006
manicm (Johannesburg, Gauteng South Africa) - See all my reviews
This review is from: The Soul Cages (Audio CD)
This album helped me through a difficult time in my life, yes it is cathartic. Both the music and lyrics are key here, because both at times are obtuse. The musicality here is subtle, this is not a dancefloor album and you have to listen properly for the flourishes, and they shine brightly when found.

Notes on some songs: Mad About You is a stunning musical and thematic revisit of Every Breath You Take, The Wild Wild Sea competes with Roger Waters for paranoia, and Why Should I Cry For You is simply heartbreaking. Also, notice how the title track begins with a raging menace, and ends in vivid despair, simply breathtaking.

Some may argue this is not Sting's best, but one thing is clear - this was his last album with any edge. In fact, apart from Synchronicity, it may be his only album with any edge. A warning - it cuts, so it may not be for everyone despite it's excellence.

5.0 out of 5 stars I hear the old man laughing........., 1 Dec 2004
This review is from: The Soul Cages (Audio CD)
In January 1991 I was working as a dock runner at Felixstowe port when I heard Steve Wright (I think) interview Sting and play the first 2 album tracks 'Island of Souls' and 'All this time'. It was a cold grey day on the east coast as i listenend to these haunting songs set on the same coast 300 miles north in Tyneside. Sting related how he was coming up to 40 years old and how his father had recently passed away. Many of the songs have references to his father, as captain of a phantom ship on 'Wild Wild Sea' and as a wise and very much missed parent in 'All this time' and 'soul Cages'. i am now 40 with elderly parents and the songs for me now have a new resonance. Equally poignant are the references to the workmen finding remains of a Roman wall ''they built a wall and a temple at the edge of the empire garrison town..'' i'm not from Newcastle but this album paints a very real picture of Sting's upbringing there and the history of the place. Still good even after all this time....

5.0 out of 5 stars Unusual , but fantastic., 23 April 2004
This review is from: The Soul Cages (Audio CD)
I was very disappointed when I first listened to this album. It was not atall what I had expected, all the other Sting albums I had were upbeat andfairly lively. But it slowly grew on me. And I would now say that it isprobably the best album Sting has ever made. Not a CD to drive to, and nota party CD either. This is a work of musical art, something to indulge inwhen you have some time to enjoy it.

5.0 out of 5 stars The Soul Cages Experience........, 10 May 2003
This review is from: The Soul Cages (Audio CD)
I just love this album.Small stories if you like,only from the true talent of Mr Sting.The album was dedicated to Sting,s father,especially the track called All This Time.What i like is that any topic,human emotion Sting feels free to write about it.He is a master at this.2 OF MY particular favourite tracks on this album are Mad About You and The Wild Wild Sea.Listen to this cd on a beachwalk or by the sea,that,s the best time for me.Another great Sting album,that hooks you the more you listen to it.10 out of 10.Completely haunting.

5.0 out of 5 stars His best ever!, 29 Jan 2000
This review is from: The Soul Cages (Audio CD)
I've been a fan for years but had somehow managed not to acquire this album. Having recently made up for this I have to say it could well be his best work ever. The track 'Why Should I Cry For You' is truely beautiful. Classics such as 'All this time' and 'Mad about you' are familiar Sting hits but there are some wonderful secret gems on this album hidden among them. Fantastic!

5.0 out of 5 stars An absolutely wonderful cd, 14 Nov 1999
This review is from: The Soul Cages (Audio CD)
This is one of my favorite sting cd's. It's an incredibly beautiful cd with beautiful lyrics. The cd is the perfect backdrop to quite evenings, dinner parties - anytime you want great music that doesn't overpower you. This CD doesn't have many surprises. It is consistent throughout and I think that is a good thing. Sting always puts out good music and this is no exception.

The Soul Cages
The Soul Cages by Sting (Audio CD - 2001)