5.0 out of 5 stars Bon Jovi: New Jersey
Published on 17 Sept. 2003 by Mr. Peter J. Witney

2.0 out of 5 stars which having listened to them I do like. However I bought this mainly for the dvd
I already have the vinyl and cd and wanted the Sons Of Beaches songs, which having listened to them I do like. However I bought this mainly for the dvd. I already have Access All Areas and the New Jersey videos on vhs but thought this would be worth the price to upgrade to dvd.....well, how wrong can you be? The quality is appalling, about the same standard as my over 2...
Published 6 months ago by eighty77

5.0 out of 5 stars Bon Jovi: New Jersey, 17 Sept. 2003
This review is from: New Jersey (Audio CD)
Quite simply, the best Bon Jovi album ever. Every track, and I do mean every track, is awesome. From the opening song, Lay Your Hands on Me, through Bad Medicine, Born to be My Baby and Living in Sin, to the cowboy-themed double-bill of Ride Cowboy Ride and Stick to Your Guns to the finale of Love For Sale, yuo are imersed in what true rock and roll is all about. This is classic Bon Jovi. Other albums may be fantastic, such as Slippery When Wet and Crush, but New Jersey excells. As an introduction to Bon Jovi I recommend this album above all others. Yes it is the best of them all, but the basic formula can be found in every Bon Jovi song. In New Jersey it works just that little bit more. For those of you with the enhanced version, you get polished-up tracks (and they do make a difference) and the video to Lay Your Hands on Me. Okay, artistically the video ain't much as its simply the band on-stage, but crank up the volume and you become one with it.
So quite simply, the best Bon Jovi album of all, and the best rock and roll album of them all.

5.0 out of 5 stars bon jovis definitive masterpiece, 20 July 2006
sean paul mccann "mccanns23" (ireland) - See all my reviews
(VINE VOICE)
This review is from: New Jersey (Audio CD)
When you consider that slippery when wet sold 12 million copies in the usa alone,then you would forgive the new jersey boys for feeling a tad nervous when it came to recording new jersey,the pressure was on,but somehow the lads faced it and released the ultimate album in anthemic rock,this is their masterpiece and they were never gonna better this,sad but true.

The anthems and yes i would call them anthems on new jersey were just so strong,there is no way that you couldnt be drawn into them,yes you will sing along,heavy keyboards and guitars and drums and jon bon jovis voice just made this such an album.

The classics are here yet again such as lay your hands on me,bad medicine,born to be my baby,blood on blood,i'll be there for you and more,god thats some list of class songs i just recited there,but you get the idea of this albums strengths.

If you dont own this ,then you should,its an album that will change your mood,change your idea of fun time rock and most of all you will be captivated by new jersey.

5.0 out of 5 stars Buy it now if you don't have it already!, 18 Aug. 2010
I'd say one of their best albums but none have been poor in my opinion but there are some great tracks on here. Living in Sin, Homebound Train, Blood on Blood and the live versions of Born To Be My Baby and Blood on Blood just add that little extra to the cd, a must for your collection.

5.0 out of 5 stars Bon Jovi at their best?, 14 July 2001
Ms. J. L. Wogan "jenniferwren" (Suffolk, England) - See all my reviews
This review is from: New Jersey (Audio CD)
After the mammoth success of "Livin' on a prayer" and "You give love a bad name" (both from "Slippery when wet"), Bon Jovi had proved themselves worthy of being in the Premier League of 80's rock. So they really had to deliver a blinding album to follow up their previous success, and "New Jersey" is just that. The entire album is a concoction of the highest degree, blended together to perfection. "Born to be my Baby", "Blood on Blood", "Wild is the Wind" - it doesn't get much better than this. Whether you're a long term Bon Jovi fan, or a newly converted rocker, this album is a must for your collection. Absolutely fantastic.

5.0 out of 5 stars My favourite Bon Jovi album, 16 July 2007
Amazon Customer (England) - See all my reviews
(TOP 500 REVIEWER)
This review is from: New Jersey (Audio CD)
I've always been a fan of Bon Jovi and have all of their albums to date. Whilst I do like their new material, I think that the early albums (from the 1980s and up to the mid 90s) will always be the best as far as both fans and critics are concerned. 'New Jersey' was their fourth album, released in 1988 and became the band's first UK no.1 album. I personally find myself listening to this album more than any other Bon Jovi record so guess I could call it my 'favourite', there is certainly lots to love here.

For some reason, I have always liked the actual album cover, and 'New Jersey' contains so many hit singles: 'Bad Medicine', 'Born To Be My Baby', 'I'll Be There For You', 'Lay Your Hands On Me' and 'Living in Sin' that at least four of these are rightly considered to be Bon Jovi classics. There is also my personal all-time favourite BJ song: 'Blood On Blood', a real story of everlasting friendship, 'Stick To Your Guns' and 'Wild Is The Wind', both excellent tracks for the album. However, there are also two songs that I always skip over, those being 'Homebound Train' and the humorous final track, 'Love for Sale', which I don't think could ever be taken seriously.

'New Jersey' was to follow-up to the band's breakthrough 'Slippery When Wet' album (released two years earlier), and this is more than a worthy successor to that record, if not better. Bon Jovi don't make music like this anymore, this was when the Jersey boys were at their peek! Savour this one readers, because things were never quite the same after this.

5.0 out of 5 stars fantastic follow up to Bon Jovi's breakthrough smash!, 26 Jun. 2013
D. MACKENZIE (london, uk) - See all my reviews
This review is from: New Jersey (Audio CD)
Which one is best? Slippery when wet or New Jersey??? hard to say... Slippery when wet has the big hits that everyone knows, 'you give love a bad name', living on a prayer and the outstanding 'wanted dead or alive'...
but when i look back on my listening history, its New Jersey that has consistently been my first choice for Bon Jovi.
A more mature sound, but still having the great hooks and chorus of Slippery... New Jersey is packed full of quality, some of my favourites include 'Wild is the wind', Ride cowboy ride, and the acoustic outro 'love for sale'.. truly a great album, one thats stayed on my playlist as the years have shot by in seconds..

4.0 out of 5 stars Great Reissue But Why The Channel Switch?, 4 Oct. 2010
Mr. A. M. Smith "Andrew" (Bognor Regis, UK) - See all my reviews
I'm not going to review this album because plenty of other people on here have done so already. I just want to mention that for some reason on the new Special Edition of New Jersey, the left & right sound channels have been swapped. I'm not sure if this is deliberate or a mistake. It doesn't ruin the listening, but if it is a mistake then it's a bit sloppy for the record company not to notice this before putting it out.

5.0 out of 5 stars Rock at it's very best, 26 Oct. 2000
By A Customer
This review is from: New Jersey (Audio CD)
Second only to 'Keep the Faith' in Bon Jovi's collection of superb albums, 'New Jersey' is a rock gem. Having exploded into the startosphere 2 years previous with the collosal 'Slippery When Wet' (the one with 'Livin' On a Prayer' on it), Bon Jovi managed to pull off the rare achievement of bettering the huge selling album, maybe not sales wise, but definitely song wise. 'Jersey' is basically 'Slippery's' older brother, it's a little rougher around the edges, a little more street wise. The lyrical content through most of the album is mainly one of hope through bad times, i.e. 'Blood on Blood', 'Stick to Your Guns', 'Born to be my Baby'. As soon as you press play you'll be hooked, the huge (and I mean huge) intro of 'Lay your hands on me' simply blows you away compelling you to listen to whole album again and again. The quality of the arrangements on the songs has also improved since 'Slippery'. Whether this was due to the band or producer Bruce Fairbairn I don't know, but just check out the instrumental break in 'Homebound Train'. A keyboard/ harmonica duel followed by a huge screech as Richie Sambora's solo comes screaming out the speakers, that then gives way to a bluesy break down, with just drums and bass. Pure class. As always there are the 'lighters in the air' ballads, 'Living In Sin' and 'I'll be there for you' are the culprits here, but luckily Bon Jovi are the masters of such songs, so they go fit the whole feel of the album effortlessly. All in all this album is pretty much faultless in it's genre. An absolute classic. By the way check out the end of 'Love for sale' to see how much fun this band must've been to be in!

5.0 out of 5 stars Bon Jovi's Best Album?, 25 Aug. 2010
This review is from: New Jersey (Audio CD)
When every band breaks into the big time like Bon Jovi did with slippery, you have two options - reinvent yourselves or do more of the same, but BIGGER. Bon Jovi opted for the latter, and this paid off with a slightly more consistent quality of songs throughout the record.

Everything on this album sounds HUGE. Very excessive, very late 80's. They don't branch out much style wise at all, as there are plenty of upbeat rockers, ballads and even the "wild west style" song that wanted dead or alive filled in on slippery. Have they bettered the monstrous slippery when wet however? In some ways yes, in some ways no. One of the problems with slippery in my opinion was a slightly uneven track-list, and this suffers from a similar problem (two are country songs (demos?) that sound like they were recorded in johns basement, not sure what that is about), but the ballads are much better this time around, which is just as well. However, there aren't heights such as living on a prayer on here, altho born to be my baby and wild is the wind comes very close.

Standout tracks include the epic opener lay your hands on me, born to be my baby, living in sin and wild is the wind. A lot of the best songs on the album can't be purchased on compilations either so this is an essential purchase for the bon jovi fan.

5.0 out of 5 stars This one's gonna blow you away..., 7 Mar. 2001
By A Customer
This review is from: New Jersey (Audio CD)
[note: The order of songs on the ordering page is wrong. No big deal]
As the second Bon Jovi album I bought (after Crush), I was expecting more of the same. Boy, I couldn't have been more wrong, and I mean that in a good way.
Note for fans who haven't heard this before: *Serious* volume is needed on the first track, because when it changes tempo about half way through, the effect is incredible.
Most of the tracks continue the same way. It's classic rock of the Bon Jovi vein. At track 7 (Wild As The Wind) however, things go off on a slight tangent. It's a slightly darker song, but many people's fave from this album. Ride Cowboy Ride follows, a strange little piece recorded in mono with just Jon and Richie playing. Blending seamlessly with it is Stick To Your Guns, a wonderful piece upbeat rock and my favourite on the album.
Overall, this one's good if you like your 80s rock served hot!

New Jersey
New Jersey by Bon Jovi (Audio CD - 2001)