Format: Audio CD|Change

on 24 June 2003
This album contains some of the best classic rock songs ever by one of the best bands ever. However, if you have a look at the track listings you'll notice it consists of single edits and remixes. I have absolutely no idea why they would include versions that have been cut down for radio play instead of the full versions. It may have been to save space for more tracks but I'd much rather have the full version of "Child In Time" than the filler that appears at the end of the album. It's so frustrating to hear the beginning of a classic Blackmore guitar solo and then listen as it fades out before it's even got going. The album sounds like a sample CD. Don't get me wrong, there are still some great tracks here but you should buy a different complilation or an original album like "Machinehead" or "In Rock" instead.
11 comment|88 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
VINE VOICEon 4 June 2004
How can the best music from one of the best bands of all time not make a fantastic Greatest Hits album? If you tamper with the music, that's how.
I listened to this and somehow didn't feel right. The CD gathered dust for more than a year, and when I "rediscovered" it, didn't feel like playing it. "Made in Japan" however...
The simple fact is that Deep Purple's music should be listened to the way it was intended to. I still maintain that their live albums are their best albums. Check out the excellent digitally remastered "Made in Japan" CD, or check out the DVD section. This one is best avoided.
22 comments|75 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on 11 February 2005
Actually ,this is not such a bad compilation.Quite a good cross section of Purple's body of work.The only downside is that I recently heard Speed King ( off 'In Rock' )so I bought this cd thinking it was the original version but somehow some bright spark had the idea of planting a demo type format on here.What a swizz.Also the track 'Child in Time'(which I always thought went on a bit anyway)is faded just as Blackmore is about to rip into his solo.This track may have been stretched out before but this is sacriledge.The solo being the best bit and all.Mind bogglin'.
on 22 February 2009
I agree with some of the reviews. Please, do yourself a favour, avoid this. The best tracks 'fit' on here only because they are re-mixes or have been curtailed. There are plenty of brilliant Purple CD's on Amazon - just don't get this. Very dissapointing.
on 26 October 2012
If you like Deep Purple, probably best to buy a different collection. Has the expected great songs, but edited. Especially Child In Time - sudden fade out just as that galloping solo comes in. Also a suspicion that Smoke On The Water is faded in right at the opening chord. Mmmm... One for the car boot after I buy a better DP collection.
on 23 March 2011
I have to agree with the previous reviewer, I too was going to treat myself to 'In Rock' but thought "what they heck, this has all the best bits plus a wealth of other great tracks". How wrong was I? I went straight to Child in Time, cranked up the volume and just as the hairs on the back of my neck were starting to stand up, it fades out! Had the Amazon track listing said 'Edit', I wouldn't have bought this CD and I'd now be enjoying 'In Rock', listening to Child in Time in full and screaming away just like Ian Gillan (but out of tune!!!).
VINE VOICEon 9 September 2003
Oh dear . . . what idiot tho't this was a good idea. I mean, I'm all for a good and up to date retospective of Purple's career, but why include so much that is remixed, and edited?
This is a hatchet job on at least two levels, and deserves to be avoided at all possible costs.
More of a Light Pink . . .
There's a theme in many of the reviews here and I confess that I find myself agreeing with them.

The Very Best of Deep Purple is not here: it is contained in the extended LP tracks on albums such as 'In Rock', 'Machine Head' and 'Made in Japan'. Here we have the single edits and tracks faded out early. Just when things are getting going, they stop.

Don't get me wrong: I'm a great fan of Deep Purple, especially the Mark 2 line-up that was around when I was at University. But if someone asked me to recommend an album as a good introduction to Deep Purple's catalogue, it wouldn't be this one, despite the title. The reason is that it is simply not representative of what made them tick.

For me Deep Purple were about long and loud, extended and exuberant. They achieved this through brilliant guitar solos, highest-quality keyboard playing, improbable vocals and a general sense of all-round flamboyance. This album has 30 kick-offs and no results.

To put it another way, here we have a group that made its name through extended album tracks being represented through 30 singles. It's not how I remember them.

So for me, whatever this album is, it certainly not 'the very best of' Deep Purple. To be truly what is advertised on the cover it would need to have half the tracks and twice the length for each (on average).

The music that is here is, of course, very good. This is, after all, one of the best and most enduring groups that ever cut a rock record. It is one of the tightest bands ever in terms of its playing and (Ian Gillan especially) its singing.

Even so, I rarely play this album. I'm afraid that I grew to love Deep Purple through their original albums and not through the shortened tracks here, many of which were made available for playing on the radio. Don't get me wrong: what is here is very good but if I was recommending albums to introduce a listener to Deep Purple, I would suggest 'In Rock' or 'Machine Head'. If you have those, you don't need this.

Four stars because it's good, but for me the five star albums lie elsewhere in the original Deep Purple catalogue.
on 23 November 2012
grate band and history, like all the tracks on this album track 4 cut short which is disappointing on a best of album
on 9 December 2013
SEX, DRUGS, ROCK 'N' ROLL, DEATH, MILLIONS OF £ & $, RECORDS SOLD, 9 SPLITS OF LINE UPS, 2 REUNIONS, COURT CASES, ILLNESS, SPLINTER GROUPS, ARRESTS, DESTRUCTION OF PROPERTY ON & OFF STAGE, SMASHED & BURNT EQUIPMENT, LOUDEST BAND IN THE WORLD, JESUS & DEMONS, FORTUNE TELLING, BOGUS CRYSTAL BALLS, WITCHCRAFT, 21ST CENTURY GOLDEN OLDIES SESSION BAND LINE UPS.
DEEP PURPLE AS ADVERTISED !
RECOMMENDED - Shades Of Deep PurpleFireball - 25th Anniversary EditionLive in Paris 1975Last Concert in JapanSufficiently BreathlessPerfect Strangers LiveDeep Purple: Come Hell Or High Water [DVD] [2012]

LINE UPS #
1,2,3,4,1+4,2R,BOGUS 90/91(Not 5 stars -0),2R-PT.III,IAN GILLAN'S DEEP PURPLE SESSION BAND.