5.0 out of 5 stars Rewards the persistent listener
I bought this album after buying 'Final Straw', the band's third album, which got me into Snow Patrol. I decided I really liked what I was listening to, and so I went and bought the band's other two albums - this being one of them.
Published on 20 Jun 2004

2.0 out of 5 stars I'm no polarbear
Thought I would buy this retrospectively as I had pretty much all their other stuff but it's pretty dull really,start with Final Straw for your collection
Published 14 months ago by paul griffiths

5.0 out of 5 stars Rewards the persistent listener, 20 Jun 2004
By A Customer
This review is from: Songs for Polarbears (Audio CD)
At first I was sorely disappointed by this album, because to put it simply, 'Songs for Polarbears' is no 'Final Straw' - not by a long way. This album is not as poppy and so I struggled to like this, even after repeated listens. I gave it time and persisted, and after a month or two I've found myself loving this album to pieces - at present, I'm rating this as their best album.
Gary Lightbody's vocals are as gorgeous as ever throughout this album, and the only set-back I see is that they can be a little difficult to interpret - ie. it's hard to listen out for words that he's singing. Nevertheless this is remedied by the lyrics in the sleeve - which is very useful when you find yourself wanting to sing along to the songs.
The tracks that I have to mention are the single 'One Hundred Things You Should Have Done in Bed' (great tune but too short!), 'NYC' (will probably be the first song you like) and my personal favourite, 'Fifteen Minutes Old', which I can't praise enough.
So if you bought 'Final Straw' or you've heard songs off that album, and you're wondering whether or not to buy this album, I recommend that you do. Don't expect fireworks at first, because you'll feel let down. Give this a chance and I almost guarantee you'll be rewarded for listening.

4.0 out of 5 stars Yes, worthwhile, 5 Jan 2006
This review is from: Songs for Polarbears (Audio CD)
I've done the same as many others, started at Final Straw and worked backwards. - None will dissapoint. As you would expect this one is a little more rough around the edges but is probably better for it. Recommended.

4.0 out of 5 stars A great album!!!!!!!, 4 Feb 2005
By A Customer
This review is from: Songs for Polarbears (Audio CD)
I listened to the album 'Final Straw' and liked it a lot and so I listened to their fist album 'Songs For Polar Bears'which was amazing!!! It is very raw,music and a lot less commercial than their latest album.The music and vocals,in this are great.The lyrics included in the sleve are cool, if a little strange!I loved this album when I first heard it and it grows on you too. Some songs are cheerful and catchy, while others are more thoughtful. Definately my favourite band at the moment! - buy it now, it rocks!!!! :-)

5.0 out of 5 stars I love songs that grow slowly on you!!!, 6 April 2005
This review is from: Songs for Polarbears (Audio CD)
I bought all 3 snow patrol albums in a backward order because the latest one (final straw)I loved it so much i played it to absolute death and so needed to get my teeth in to their past releases. Their second album I played to death as well, so then naturally bought 'Songs for polar bears'. I knew very well on the first listen it would take some time to get used to. I percivered (cant spell that word) and am in love with this. I think its brilliant. Its taken many listens but was certainly worth the wait It took and thats how i like albums. To grow slowly and develope into something great. I dont always pick up the tunes at first listen and have to let them grow. Thats a good way to get your moneys worth, 20 listens of getting used to and a 1000 listens of pure pleasure. I listen to this album on my head phones at the gym to drown out the poppy radio rubbish that drives me away early. A brilliant album by brilliant song writers. Well worth the cash.
PS, I like all the songs on this album as were I like only 85% on final straw!

4.0 out of 5 stars Raw Snow Patrol, 10 Aug 2006
This review is from: Songs for Polarbears (Audio CD)
Snow Patrol, when they were raw.

Granted they hadn't been together too long before they released this, but damn it's good!

If you're looking for a more hard edge, less "neat", more raggedy Snow Patrol with a few less of those slow anthemic songs-than look no further.

Personal favourites include: Starfighter Pilot, and Raze the City.

Go for it, you won't regret it.

5.0 out of 5 stars a peach, 23 Sep 2000
This review is from: Songs for Polarbears (Audio CD)
ok, i'm not much with words but respect must be paid to the brilliance that is snow patrol. such diversity with sounds is unequalled in my collection. every track fits a mood and for every mood there's a track. if you haven't heard any of it, give it a chance and i'm sure you'll agree that there's just one question, why haven't they gone stella yet? as one radio 1 critic said; if we could have any band's baby, these would be our boys. as for being 'a bit overlong' i disagree, i can't get enough. the best i've got, and a peach you should have. jamie.

4.0 out of 5 stars Love em!!, 4 Jan 2005
A. Barlow "auntieal9" (Manchester) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Songs for Polarbears (Audio CD)
Having fallen in love with Snow Patrol on my first airing of Final Straw I had to buy the rest of the collection immediately. That was about 8 months ago and I haven't really listened to much else since! Album faves would be Mahogany, Velocity Girl and Fifteen Minutes Old, I like the mellow tracks. To be honest though, there's no track I don't like.

5.0 out of 5 stars Songs for polar bears, 26 Oct 2008
This review is from: Songs for Polarbears (Audio CD)
This is in my opinion the best Snow Patrol album. It needs about 2 or 3 listens to grow on you, then you will appreciate the beauty of these 14 simple songs. They are often built around simple guitaring, such as the quiter but brilliant velocity girl and 15 minutes old. NYC only has 3 lines and is very repetitive but stands out as one of the best tracks. the more upbeat Downhill from here, Starfighter pilot, Little hide and 100 things you should have done in bed are also great catchy tunes. All in all this is a must buy for Snow Patrol fans.

5.0 out of 5 stars emotional bliss, 11 Sep 2005
This review is from: Songs for Polarbears (Audio CD)
From the instantly recognisable, funky intro into 'Downhill From Here' to the inspired '100 thing you should have done in bed' this album could almost be Gary Lightbody's life-story.the stunningly heart felt 'Mahogany' and the hauntingly beautiful '15 minutes old' showcase the bad sides while songs like 'starfighter pilot' show the good. i would recomend this album simply for mahogany and 15 minutes old-musical brilliance and emotional bliss

4.0 out of 5 stars An Interesting Debut, 27 Dec 2004
This review is from: Songs for Polarbears (Audio CD)
After purchasing final straw and catching the bad live i thought i would purchase their back catalogue. This was snow patrols first release as a band and i think it shows by probably being the weakest of their three albums.
This is not to say it is poor just not as good as the other two outstanding alubms. The tracks lack the polish and carefiully chosen lyrics of thier other releases. Lightbody's lyrics on some tracks are indistinguishable which can spoil the flow of the album.
However if you are just purchasing this album and not comparing it to the bands other releases you should be pleasently suprised of the quality of this debut. For those purchasing after the quality of the other two albums you may inially be disappointed but stick with it and it will really grow on you as it did for me, just do'nt expect the instant gratification of final straw.
Overall a good album from a band who were really destined to go somewhere.

Songs for Polarbears
Songs for Polarbears by Snow Patrol (Audio CD - 2009)