on 2 August 2002
One of the best Rory albums. Its jazz, its rock and it's blues. Moonchild shows it's rock roots while calling card mixes jazz and blue's to perfection. Secret agent shows rorys facination with crime books and builds this idea into a crafted song. This album is a must for all rory fans and if your not a fan it is a worth while purchase what ever. If you are collecting blues albums this is a must.
on 17 November 2011
all i ever hear about rory gallagher is how good he was on the guitar. it kind of put me off listening to him for a long time - i've listened to enough guitarists that guitarist friends drool over to know a lot of them are noodling borefests, only interested in how fast they can whizz up and down the fretboard, or how many notes a second they can play. i don't care for any of that. this is nothing like that. i can only assume that people love his guitar playing for more subtle things. i love the music, i love the songs, and i love his voice. there's an honesty in his voice, a fun loving, into it, swagger, that makes me smile, and i can't sit still when it's on. there's a head nodding, or a foot tapping, or some kind of face twitch that makes it look like i've got tourette's or something. this is raw, undiluted rock/blues/call it what you will. i call it great.
I have been hearing Rory Gallagher over the last 30 years, but until recently I never really listened. This album is a complete tour de force and masterclass on how to really play the guitar. Within the 11 tracks on this remastered version of the album you get to hear Rory play scorching lead work, jazzy licks, slide, blues, rock, acoustic, resonator, and dobro to a standard well beyond most players out there today in a wide range of styles. Each song brings something new to the whole.

This ought to be on the must get list of anyone with an interest in playing the guitar or listening to a virtuoso at his peak.
on 1 December 2009
A must for anyone who remembers just how good Rory Gallagher really was. I am ashamed to admit it had slippped my mind. Great bass lines on this album too.
on 24 May 2016
Oh my....first saw Rory Gallagher band when I was 14 and have recently re-discovered his music. (how did I ever let it go?) The feeling with which he plays is second to none, and that also goes for the rest of the band. I am unable to put into words how unique the talent of this man is. 'Country Mile' is amazing along with the rest of the tracks. The world lost a master of music. Love you Rory - R.I.P.
on 7 February 2008

Bonus tracks:
Rue the day - 8/10
Public enemy(b-girl version) - 9/10
VINE VOICEon 23 February 2012
Ooh this took me back, right to the 70's, I loved it. I remember sitting in a friends living room listening to Rory Gallagher for the first time and I was blown away. I recently heard some tracks played on Planet Rock and it took me right back, I knew I'd have to get a copy of a CD, so I bought 2 and have been reliving my youth ever since.
on 17 September 2012
You can keep your Dave Grohls for all their modern might; Rory had it all. Finest player, hardest tourer and best front-man of his generation, 35 years on and I never saw his like again. Calling Card is solid Rory at his best, if you never saw him live this is a great intro; then go buy everything else he ever did. A true and one-off legend, loved by millions still. Including me, obviously.... Enjoy!!
on 13 April 2013
I must admit that I have only recently discovered Rory Gallagher. I went to the Irish fair that takes place annually in Coney Island and somebody had a stall with all Irish cds.

I decided to give him a go as I found the cd cover so appealing.

What a calling card to his music it was !!!!

I am surprised I have not worn a hole thru the cd as I have played Moonchild and Do you read me a gazillion times since last Sept.

Fantastic.

I have gone on to buy another 4 of Rory's cds.
on 7 January 2011
i think this was rory gallaghers last disc for chrysalis, and also this line up, and its a good one great sound quality, and the playing by rory and the band is excellent,recommended to any rory fan and also the occasional purchaser.