Format: Audio CD|Change

Everybody who was around in the sixties, seventies and eighties in the UK remembers who Val Doonican was - he was a regular on TV, usually hosting his own show in which he would always sing at least one song, often sitting in a rocking chair. But before he established himself as a TV host, he was a singer with a string of UK hits - three top three hits, two other top ten hits, three that came close to the top ten and six minor hits. Ballads were his stock-in-trade but he was not limited to them as he sometimes recorded up-tempo or mid-tempo songs. In the main, he recorded easy listening pop music or covers of soul, country and folk songs adapted to an easy listening pop style but he also recorded some Irish songs too.
Val's five big hits were Walk tall (one of his more upbeat songs), The special years, Elusive butterfly (a cover of the Bob Lind classic - both Val and Bob peaked at number five in the UK charts), What would I be (his biggest hit) and If the whole world stopped loving. The three hits that didn't quite make the UK top ten were Memories are made of this (not included here), If I knew then what I know now and Morning.
Three Irish songs (Delaney's donkey, O'Rafferty's motor car and Paddy McGinty's goat) and a few covers of classic pop and country songs (King of the road, Song sung blue, For the good times, Marvellous toy, First time ever I saw your face) are also featured.
If you just want a single CD of Val's music, this contains the essentials. For a real treat, buy the double CD (His special years)instead.
This 1991 release really does bring together 20 of his best performances on record. The likes of "Walk Tall" (1965) and "O'Rafferty's Motor Car" do bring back happy memories of his TV shows. Always a great live act this CD captures a very wide range of material and seems to be the best collection currently available.
The liner notes by John Martland set the scene, the CD is nicely packaged and the sound quality is very good indeed. Running time approx 54 minutes.
'Michael Valentine Doonican' was born in 'Waterford' Ireland in 1927.
As an earlier reviewer mentioned those of us that watched variety shows, especially through the 60's, would
remember 'Val Doonican'
In 1951 'Val' moved to England to join 'The Four Ramblers' who regularly featured on RADIO-SHOWS, later
when touring as a support act with 'Anthony Newley' who persuaded 'Val' to perform as a solo-act.
In 1963 he had a spot on the variety show 'Sunday Night At The London Palladium' after which the BBC gave him
his own show, 'Val' stole the hearts of the nation singing 'Irish' Ditty's such as 'Paddy McGinty's Goat' 'Delaney's
Donkey' and 'O'Rafferty's Motor Car'
Some of his early releases also featured in the U.K Charts as many will surely remember with songs such as -'Walk
Tall' (Chart '3' 1964) 'The Special Years' (Chart '7' 1965) 'I'm Gonna Get There Somehow' (Chart '25' also 65')
'Elusive Butterfly' (Chart '5' 1966) 'What Would I Be' (Chart '2' again 66') 'If The Whole World Stopped Loving' (Chart
'3' 1967) he did get a further Top 10 entry the same year with 'Memories Are Made Of This' (which isn't on-board) he
continued to pepper the lower order of the Charts right up to 1973, though during this time he did have two further Top
20 entries with - 'If I Knew Then What I Know Now' (Chart '4' 1968) and 'Morning' (Chart '12' 1972) - all the numbers
listed in the review are on-board this release other than - 'Memories Are Made Of This'
'Val' will always be remembered for his seemingly laid-back style, his Irish-Ditty's and of course 'The Rocking-Chair'
He continued to perform until 2009 now enjoying his retirement.
'Sadly as many will know 'Val Doonican' past away 1st July 2015 aged 88' (His laid-back style and easy listening
songs will be remembered by many for years to come.
on 28 September 2002
A very relaxing, nostelgic album. People who are not fans of Val (or don't have a clue who he is) will still find themselves tapping their foot or rocking in their chair a little to this. The sound quality is excellent.
My only disappointment was the lack of old favourites such as Mysterious People and The driver was a Leprocorn.
Brilliant stocking filler for anyone who enjoys the bygone days of 'Easy Listening'.
on 12 November 2012
I first heard (and became a de facto fan) of Val Doonican when my in-laws played O'Rafferty's Motor Car during a recent road trip. I was going to buy the mp3 album until I read the small print, but then I found that not only is the CD less restricted (I'm allowed to pass it on if I want to) and uncompressed, it's also cheaper. Win-win-win! :o)

The CD doesn't disappoint. The songs cover a wide range of styles, not all to my taste, but it's easy to listen to and I love the three comedy tracks.
on 15 July 2009
If you just want to sit back and relax, listening to Val singing a great selection of songs will do the trick.
on 13 September 2009
we are of an age we can remember val on tv and it brings back memories.
on 29 October 2013
excellent value.I simply adore paddy mcginty's goat and delaney's donkey
which is why i purchased it in the first place but there's something for everyone
here.1970'S Val bedecked in his sweater sitting on his rocking chair playing
his guitar.Wonderful!
on 23 October 2011
Oh how I used to look forward to the Val Doonican Show on TV. It was such a joyto listen to. This CD takes me back to those shows and makes me realise how lacking we are today for real entertainment shows on TV Its a lovely CD.
on 24 May 2013
Have just received this, and listened to it. Sound quality is superb! Brings back memories. Great to add to my collection. Couldn't find this anywhere else. Had all the songs I required on there! What more can I say?