5.0 out of 5 stars This album changed my life
Published on 25 July 2008 by G. Hunt

2.0 out of 5 stars Not a good buy.
The CD is scratched and jumps. It doesn't play well and I was extremely disappointed given that the standard shown was supposed to be high.
Published 1 month ago by MrsS

5.0 out of 5 stars This album changed my life, 25 July 2008
G. Hunt "Scouser Abroad" (Valencia, Spain) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Load (Audio CD)
I'm a big Metallica fan, but I wouldn't be if it weren't for this album. I saw the video to Until It Sleeps while in Spain as a 17-year old and I was captivated by the arresting images and the music which stayed with you hours after hearing it. I didn't really like heavy metal, Nirvana was as heavy as I would go, but this felt different; it had, well, soul. A couple of days later I went down to the local music store, bought the album and then listened to it everyday, sometimes more than once, for the next three or four months.

I still like "Until It Sleeps", but it's been overtaken in my affections by "Mama Said", "The Outlaw Torn" and, especially, "2x4" - there are times when I'm walking along the street listening to this song on my Mp3 player and I feel like I'm stepping a little bit taller. An irrepressible blues groove played by a metal band: it's just dynamite.

After twelve years, what really stands out for me now about this album is how well crafted it is. You might look at these guys and be scared to meet them down a dark alley, but they are real musicians. A lot of thought has gone into each song. After several listens, each one reveals an element you hadn't thought about; even on a song like "the Cure", which isn't one of my favourites, you listen again to the vocals and hear the overlaid tracks of Hetfield singing in two different ways, accompanied by the thumping bass line, and, with the effect that creates, you think, wow, that's clever...

I'll never tire of listening to it.

5.0 out of 5 stars Just Read, 10 Jun 2003
This review is from: Load (Audio CD)
ok to be honest i'd like to say i'm kinda tired of people saying metallica "sold out" for this album, ok its not the thrash they used to play..but its still a GREAT album admittedly its not as heavy as its predesessors but is change necissarily a bad thing, this album has some strong songs that a metallica and music fan will appreciate, do NOT buy this album if you expect metallica to sound like they did 15 years ago because thats not gonna happen the progression for metallica seems to come from everytime they get a new bassist they change there style to me it proves nothing more then therye diversity, its a solid album if your a fan of music... if you want 80's long haired leather jacketed snake skin boots thrash...maybe this album isnt for you!

4.0 out of 5 stars Ignorance is not always bliss!, 13 Jun 2009
This review is from: Load (Audio CD)
I can't believe I am writing this album a review (and giving it 4 stars!). I'll tell you why. I was one of those Metallica fans that at the time of release of Load had a lot of difficulty with this album and the band. They had changed their sound, look and attitude which I had trouble accepting. It began with The Black album, an album I didn't hate but wasn't bothered with either. Even now I think that album is over-rated. Even so the day when Load was released I bought it. I went home, pulled it out its sleeve but before i'd even played it I got the jitters. All the trendy, posing photos inside put me off straight away, these images are not what Metallica are about. They are not U2 (they even got Anton Corbain to do them). And they still suck. So I pressed play and I think I got to the 2nd song before losing interest. By the 4th track I couldn't care less. No Leper Messiah, Battery, One, MOP, Shortest Straw, Creeping Death in sight. Thank-you and goodbye. I never played it again until 2 weeks ago, so thats over ten years! So what happened?

A few weeks ago I watched Metallica play at the O2, touring Death Magnetic. 6th song in they play this immense tune which I did not recognise, I am blown away by the heavy, spiraling riff. I am spellbound. I find out (yeah you guessed it) it's from Load and is The Outlaw Torn. So I pull out the album, blow dust off it and press play on this track and am again blown away. Since then I have had this album on repeat. I played it 6 times in a row and fully appreciating Aint My Bitch, House that Jack Built, King Nothing, Bleeding Me, Wasting my Hate and of course The Outlaw Torn.

So a thrash-head has been converted. It seems Metallica really are the Kings of heavy rock/metal/thrash. This album is a classic and rightly deserves to be up there with their best. You just have to get over the photos, a few dodgy tunes (Mamma Said, 2x4 and a few others) and chill. If you doubt me, play The Outlaw Torn at full volume and see......

4.0 out of 5 stars its different...thats all, 19 Jun 2005
Peter Graham (Wembley, Middlesex United Kingdom) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Load (Audio CD)
Well, disappointing as it may seem to these other guys, Load is great. just a change in direction. As a guitarist, this album contains great riffs, although the solo's tend to be a little crappy sometimes. "wasting my hate" is an example. What a riff.
I really hate when others go "This album aint metallica man! These guys suck now!" well, i reckon metallica know what they're doing more than any one else. And as metallica have said before, its what they like, not what you like. And if u dont like it, stay away.
So stay away if you want, but its definetely worth a few quid.
Not the 5 star royalty of previous albums, but still great.

5.0 out of 5 stars Something Different, 12 Feb 2009
BabyLamb (Edinburgh, Scotland) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Load (Audio CD)
First off, I will say that I very much like Master Of Puppets, Ride The Lightning and ...And Justice For All so I'm not someone who dislikes metal-ly Metallica, but I do feel that these album receives a fair amount of unjust slander. I understand entirely that Load does not sound akin to the aforementioned but that it is not a reason alone for rubbishing it. If you are buying this album because MOP or RTL is one of your favourite ever CDs, you must prepare for, at the least, a surprise, at the worst, disappointment.
Now the album in question; for me it is an outstanding change of direction for a band not really treading new ground since 1986 and I think it comes off remarkably well. There is enough Metallica-ness to make it work and to justify its parity with their earlier works; for instance, 'King Nothing' is virtually 'Enter Sandman' in structure but very different aurally, James Hetfield's lyrics are as bitter as previous outings and Kirk Hammett still provides some blinding solos.
No longer is the music about how fast one can play or how heavy, but how coherently, how unified as a whole the band are on this record. There is also a more personal and emotional sincerity within the music ('Mama Said', 'Poor Twisted Me') which, other than perhaps in 'Nothing Else Matters', the band have not demonstrated and this allows the listener to connect far more with the music than before.
Unfortunately this is not what every Metallica fan wanted and so the record is just dismissed, unfairly I feel, since there are many fantastic songs present like 'The Outlaw Torn' and 'Bleeding Me', only offset by the boring '2x4' and the unexciting 'Thorn Within'. Other than those two tracks, the rest are all enjoyable.
Just be open-minded and expect a rockier sound, and you'll find a very good album, if not quite a great one.

5.0 out of 5 stars It's a great album!, 24 April 2008
P. Hurley (Ireland) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Load (Audio CD)
It really gets up my nose when I hear so called Metallica "fans" spouting on about how bad this album is and how they haven't made a decent one since Master Of Puppets and how the band have been crap ever since Cliff died and blah blah blah. It gets very monotonous. The truth is, if you were a true fan (you don't have to love everything they've produced) but you'd stick by them and acknowledge that they've gone through different stages and have had to adjust accordingly. That's what Load is. It's different and it's a reflection on where the band were in the nineties. It's not "metal up your ass" like Kill 'em all and it hasn't got the power of Master of puppets but it's still a bloody good record - packed with a mix of very good rock songs (Until It Sleeps) and a few deeper, softer tunes (Hero Of the Day, Mama Said)...all brilliant to listen to and distinctly Metallica.

5.0 out of 5 stars One of the best Albums I own!, 10 Jan 2001
By A Customer
This review is from: Load (Audio CD)
My rating is 5 stars because this album is simply a masterpiece. Bleeding Me never gets boring even though it lasts for over 8 minutes, Mama Said is a brilliantly mellow emotional song, the Outlaw torn is longest and one of the best songs I have. FORGET LIMP BIZKIT, because this album has brilliant songs, and unlike Limp, the Lyrics are emotional and stunning (not 'I did it for the nookie' and all that rubbish)

5.0 out of 5 stars Nowhere near as bad as some people say., 2 Oct 2007
km.ord (Liverpool UK) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Load (Audio CD)
Thankfully, Metallica have not taken heed of the narrow minded, elite purists (their so called loyal fans) and produced an album which comes across as a breath of fresh air after a lengthy career, producing thrash metal music, admittedly of high quality. Thrash metal has long since died, although Metallica's albums within this genre have a timeless quality.

As with all musicians whose careers span more than a decade, there will always remain a split between those who appreciate the earlier material, and those who have discovered the band through their later music; which, in this case, is more mainstream, more accessible and far easier on the ear. Fans of course, are bound to whinge, proclaiming `their' band sold out on them. Oh dear. Let's get down to brass tacks. Metallica really do not, and probably have never, given a toss about their fans in the first place!

Anyway, the music on this album is very enjoyable indeed. It is rich in texture, heavy, and you can discern each song from the last; something that wasn't always possible with their earlier material. You can also hear the separation between the twin guitars. Also, If you put `Master of Puppets' on, after listening to `Load', you'll have to crank up the volume on the 1986 opus, because it sounds so thin when played in conjunction with `Load', and its twin brother `ReLoad'; which is also an excellent album.

Also, there seems to be extensive criticism with regard to the high level of filler which is reputed to pervade throughout the entire album. Where is this filler? I can't hear it. It's just music; and music is an art form which is totally subjective. Both Load, and ReLoad are crammed with great tunes. It's staggering how Metallica have managed to give birth to a couple of really belting albums, both near the 80 minute mark, without any wilting in creativity or inspiration

I find no problem listening to this album in its complete entirety; yes, all 79 minutes of it, without my ears feeling as though they've been subject to prolonged exposure to the sound of a pneumatic drill! And yet, the loyal fans who believe they made this band would claim this to be a sin in itself. Such fans require a certain type of music which suits them on an individual basis. They demand to be given a batch of cryptic, inscrutable half melodies which will further lead them into believing they are part of something deep, secret and `individual'. This is pretentiousness of the highest order. All composers of music want to be accepted by each and every person; and Metallica are no exception.

Is such loyalty based on freedom of ideas and expression? I think not. Sometimes I think originating fans are so constrictive with regard to change, that they would, at any costs, stifle the progress of creative genius if it was at all possible. Old school fans can be a real hindrance to a bands progress, and in some ways you can liken them to some extreme religious sect.

Anyway, if anyone bothered to read the rambling nonsense which I have just penned; you will at least gather that I really like the album `Load'. If you're thinking of buying it, I promise you won't be disappointed.

5.0 out of 5 stars Not for closeminded metalheads, 22 Sep 2011
This review is from: Load (Audio CD)
First of all, don't listen to the 1 star reviews. All it they are is a bunch of close minded metalheads who think metal is the only genre of music that exists. I would like to say I love metal, and it's probably my favorite genre, but I have a very open mind to music. This album is a masterpiece. Give it a chance. Some songs took some listens for me to fully grasp, but they all got a hold of me, excluding The Thorn Within. It's still an enjoyable song, but I wouldn't miss it if it were axed. This is still my favorite Metallica album to date. If you're expecting a pile of crap like Megadeth did with Risk, you are surely mistaken.

5.0 out of 5 stars Buy for 1/2 the price, 26 Jun 2010
Fantastic reissue sounds exellent but you can buy for 1/2 the price at whatrecords.com and its available to buy now

Load
Load by Metallica (Audio CD - 2007)