5.0 out of 5 stars Made In America..A real gem!!!
Published on 9 Sep 2006 by Gav.76

3.0 out of 5 stars Some Stand-Out Tracks, Some Mundane
Published 6 months ago by Mr. Peter Steward

5.0 out of 5 stars Made In America..A real gem!!!, 9 Sep 2006
This review is from: Made In America (Audio CD)
The final studio album before Karen's sad departure and what an absolute gem it is too! There's just something about this album that excites me. I am a huge Carpenters fan, have been for many years now and they never fail to make me smile hearing Karen's unique voice. Kicking off with track one, Those Good Old Dreams - a classic slice of country and one of my favourite Carpenters singles. My top cuts from this album (in no particular order) have got to be (Want you) Back In My Life Again - a new direction into the pop world i feel...I Believe You - such a catchy feel to this love song...the top TOP track off this album tho has definately got to be track 2 "Strength Of A Woman". How this was never a single is beyond me...Yeah, Beechwood 45 789 is a great catchy pop song but "Strength" is just classic Carpenters! And the vocal harmonys are spine tingling! Check this album out, it's brilliant!

5.0 out of 5 stars Made in America, 18 Feb 2010
Mr. S. Brock "MadeInEngland" (Edinburgh) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Made In America (Audio CD)
One of my favourite 'Carpenters' studio albums as it was the last release before Karen Carpenter passed away and shows us just what could have been achieved had they still been a unique Brother & Sister act today - great tracks here and very much more up-to-date than the rest of their catalogue as at the time they had not had as many releases prior to this one for some time.

5.0 out of 5 stars A highly underestimated masterpiece, 9 Mar 2006
This review is from: Made In America (Audio CD)
This brilliant comeback album start with the delightful "Those Good Old Dreams" and led on to a Bacharach cover, a sexy disco song, a Motown classic, a tearjerking wedding song, a wistful ballad and many more treats. Just amazing. 10/10

3.0 out of 5 stars Some Stand-Out Tracks, Some Mundane, 25 May 2014
Mr. Peter Steward "petersteward" (Norwich, England) - See all my reviews
(TOP 1000 REVIEWER)    (REAL NAME)
This review is from: Made In America (Audio CD)
The final album before the tragedy of Karen Carpenter's death. Really this is a series of middle of the road songs. I suppose The Carpenters were always middle of the road but they hid the fact with a series of classic albums. There is beauty here, particularly in the final track with the poignant words: "Because We are in Love/We reach for our tomorrows" which is heart-rending bearing in mind that Karen's glorious voice would be no more within two years.

The final track has the kind of epic feeling that elevated the Carpenters way above the pack. it is a fitting epitaph, harking back to the safety and joy of childhood which was probably a territory Karen felt safe and happy in. It is a stand out track amongst an otherwise rather mundane collection of songs.

5.0 out of 5 stars The Carpenters = Quality, 22 Feb 2013
Tarby "Tarby" (Newbury,Berkshire) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Made In America (Audio CD)
As expected, Clean Crisp and full of Karen's beautiful voice. Several tracks new to me on here alongside some old favourites. What can I say? - It's "The Carpenters" - It can only be top quality. As far as I know, top quality music is all they ever produced.

5.0 out of 5 stars Carpenters Best Ever, 10 Dec 2011
This review is from: Made In America (Audio CD)
Over the years I have collected most of The Carpenters albums and in my opinion Made In America is their best.
It makes the most of Karen's beautiful voice. Every track could have been a success as a single.
It's a tragedy that we lost a wonderful talent at such a young age.

5.0 out of 5 stars wonderful, 18 Dec 2010
This review is from: Made In America (Audio CD)
One of my favourite Carpenters albums - I've played this and played it again since receiving it - so much to enjoy in such a short time - not a long album - BUT VERY enjoyable !!! :-))

3.0 out of 5 stars Not as good as it should have been!, 18 May 2013
This review is from: Made In America (Audio CD)
Remember this album came out after a long dry spell for the Carpenters and they were A&M's biggest stars as far as record sales went. They went into the recording studio and recorded many tracks for this project, around 17 I think, then released this album, an album of album tracks! One song even came from 1978! Granted it was the best song on the album, the brilliant 'I Believe you'. But this album is nowhere near as good as many people make it out to be, it's not strong enough. It didn't sell well, it didn't go gold in America. Richard and Karen might think it's their best album, but the public didn't. There was only one decent single hit 'Touch me when we're dancing', and that only happened because of all the promotion they did.

I remember the reviews at the time: 'Strength of a woman' - sounds like a Bee Gees song, 'Somebody's been lying' - sounds like a Barbra Streisand song. And there's the problem, they were the Carpenters, huge stars of the 1970's, they should have sounded like the Carpenters and not other people.

Many of the tracks were nice enough, but not great songs, like 'When you've got what it takes' and 'When it's gone'. 'Because we are in love' should not have been on the album, it did not fit well with the overall feel. Remember 'Your baby doesn't love you anymore' was left off this album! And 'Beechwood 4-5789' was another mistake, but then I've read stories since that have stated that Karen wanted to record the song and no one else wanted to argue with her and just keep the peace after scrapping her solo album.

Oddly I think the other highlight is 'Back in my life again', it's a good ballad set to a disco beat hiding what a gem it is. The other strong track is again another country-ish song 'Those good old dreams'. These country-pop songs that the Carpenters were recording now and then were proving to be some of the best works and probably the direction they would have taken if things would have turned out different. But then we did get more Carpenters albums with unreleased tracks after their last 'official' album, and 'Voice of the heart' did a lot better as far as sales were concerned and did sound like a Carpenters album, 'Made in America' in my books could have been recorded by anyone at the time.

4.0 out of 5 stars MADE FOR YOU WHEREVER YOU ARE, 15 Dec 2014
This review is from: Made In America (Audio CD)
A new direction in the last three albums. Long time since the duo recorded but their popularity still shines.

2.0 out of 5 stars CD Not Remastered, 6 Feb 2013
Mr. W. Chamberlain "Bill C" (Dorset, UK) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Made In America (Audio CD)
The CD arrived safely today but when I examined it the CD was not a remastered copy as originally advertised. Before returning it I would appreciate your comments.

Made In America
Made In America by Carpenters (Audio CD - 2001)