5.0 out of 5 stars The Forgotten Album
Published on 22 Nov 2004 by Adrian Durham

2.0 out of 5 stars The album the band came to regret
Squeeze have produced some terrific albums in the 500 years they've been with us, from the punchy "Cool For Cats" to the beautiful "Play". Sadly, this really isn't one of them.

Published on 24 Oct 2008 by Mr. M. Bloomfield

5.0 out of 5 stars The Forgotten Album, 22 Nov 2004
This review is from: Domino (Audio CD)
I always considered myself a massive Squeeze fan but after seeing them live for the umpteenth time in 96, and enjoying "Ridiculous" I kinda missed out on "Domino" for no apparent reason. It brought no single success, was not fanfared, and signalled the end of the band so I kinda fell out of love with the album before buying it or hearing it. So 6 years on I got a copy and listened with awe.
Had this been marketed properly 3 songs would have surely charted - Little King, Play On and If You Were Here. Domino has an awesome bass line. Short Break is one of the most adventurous songs they've attempted and it works for me. For real Squeeze fans Moving Story is a must listen - a kind of sequel to Up The Junction.
It's not their best album but for me it is right up there on the next rung below East Side Story and Babylon and On.
It's well worth buying, believe me.

2.0 out of 5 stars The album the band came to regret, 24 Oct 2008
This review is from: Domino (Audio CD)

I read a couple of interviews Difford and Tilbrook gave after the release of "Ridiculous", their previous (and infinitely better) recording. They had a theme in common - branching out, doing something different, maybe even a little daring. What they ended up giving us in fact was a tired-sounding re-hash of an earlier style (it reminded me in parts of "Sweets From A Stranger"). They'd also given the impression in these interviews that they were frustrated at not making more of an impact on the charts. "Domino" offered nothing that would have got close to a top-twenty hit (although "Bonkers" and the title track could have done decently enough with a lot more work and a bit of sparkle; although "Donkey Talk" reveals a band suffering from a complete lack of passion).

After a string of superb studio albums including "Play", "Some Fantastic Place" and "Ridiculous", I was disappointed to see that the last thing they produced before splitting up and saying 'never again' was one of their worst. In the book "Squeeze: Song By Song" both Glenn and Chris said basically the same thing. This album shouldn't have been made; or should have been made better.

I was actually a little saddened that instead of choosing to carry on and redeem themselves with far superior material, or choosing to go out on a real high note such as "Ridiculous", one of the best bands ever to brighten our airwaves gave us something mediocre to try to forget rather than remember them by, and dissolved into in-fighting after a creative low.

I'll remember Squeeze by all the wonderful singles I bought, I'll remember them by those fantastic albums they gave us, and I'll remember them from going to half a dozen of their live shows, and loving them. I just worry that an album that would normally be branded 'forgettable' will linger on in the memory for longer than I, my friends, and the band themselves would want it to.

2.0 out of 5 stars ALL SQUEEZED OUT, 2 July 2008
This review is from: Domino (Audio CD)
Cast adrift by record label A&M, after the poor selling Ridiculous, the embattled Squeeze decided to regroup and release an independent album. Another line-up change saw the surprise departure of long term bassist Keith Wilkinson and the arrival of Jools Holland's younger brother Chris and former Del Amitri drummer Ash Soan.
The band decamped to Glenn Tilbrook's studio, 45 RPM, with a limited budget and a strict time limit (imposed by a jaded and reluctant Chris Difford).
Many of the songs that found their way onto Domino were left overs from Ridiculous or hastily written for inclusion on the album. Not the best way to create a classic record !
Both Difford and Tilbrook have subsequently voiced their dislike for many of the albums songs - Difford being especially hostile - but amongst the poorly realised arrangements, buried vocals and muddy production there is some gold to be found.
The title track 'Domino' swings with panache and a great lyric, 'Play On' is a fine pop song and the rocky 'Sleeping With A Friend' is full of playful lines and a great Tilbrook guitar performance. The bizarre 'Bonkers' features one of Difford's finest vocals and the druggy 'Donkey Talk' has a certain lethargic appeal and groove. Without the backing of a major label and minimal media interest the patchy record, and subsequently lack lustre tour, signaled the end for Squeeze.
Don't get me wrong - i think Chris Difford and Glenn Tilbrook are amongst the finest song writers the UK has ever produced. Their run of 80's singles and 90's albums is near faultless.
Despite Tilbrook's very best efforts Domino wasn't a great swangsong for Squeeze.
Aparently there is a strong chance of a new album from the newly reactivated band in 2009. Fingers crossed that the magic is still there.

4.0 out of 5 stars Their best album since East Side Story, 13 July 2000
By A Customer
Recorded without the backing of a major record label, this album lacks the glossy production of its recent predecessors - and is all the better for it. Glenn Tilbrook's lean production brings out the best in the excellent songs and musicianship throughout the album. The album was recorded with a new line-up - only Glenn Tilbrook and Chris Difford remain from the previous incarnations of Squeeze. The new members, including Jools Hollans's brother Chris, bring a refreshing vitality to the arrangements. Domino kicks off with a fairly heavy (for Squeeze) song "Play On", which I found hard to like at first. However, it grows on you. It is followed by the lighter "Bonkers", featuring Chris Difford's unique "Cool For Cats" vocals and some wonderful wah-pedal guitar. Nearly every song on this album is a gem. All the usual Squeeze subjects are here - drink, drugs, divorce, parenthood - plus some less common ones including prostitution, advertising and joy riding. As ever, Chris's witty lyrics are perfectly matched by Glenn's imaginative melodies and guitar work. I trully believe this is Squeeze's best album since East Side Story, and recommend it whole-heartedly.

3.0 out of 5 stars not their finest hour, 3 Aug 2014
This review is from: Domino (Audio CD)
This album is the reason Chris and Glenn must do another squeeze studio recording. The band they got together were brilliant and the title track is awesome but the rest is not good. I have loved this band all my life and up to and including ridiculous each nb New release filled me with joy. Buy this if you want to complete your collection but avoid otherwise. the good news is Chris and Glenn have both done much better solo work

5.0 out of 5 stars Brilliant, I love it!, 25 July 2013
Mick Gill (Berkshire, United Kingdom) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Domino (Audio CD)
I forgot how much I liked Squeeze, I am playing this all the time and cannot help singing along to it!

4.0 out of 5 stars Not their best but still enjoyable., 4 Nov 2009
T. Kemp - See all my reviews
This review is from: Domino (Audio CD)
I have recently dug this CD out again and upon listening to it, have come to realise that it is a better album than I remember. Sure, it's no 'Play' or 'Babylon And On' but it does have a listenable consistency and some clever lyrics and hooks (as always). It's not where I would recommend a casual or new fan start their Squeeze journey but for the seasoned fan, there are many nuggets here. Faves are "Play On", "Sleeping With a Friend" and "In The Morning". There are really only a couple of so-so's that don't really grab me, but that's often the way.

Difford and Tilbrook are not big fans of this one, and while they made better albums, it ain't *that* bad.

Domino
Domino by Squeeze (Audio CD - 1998)