5.0 out of 5 stars Astounding. Simply the best album I've ever purchased
I bought this album on the strength of one song (You Do Something To Me). Had I realised how amazing this album is, my justification of buying it would have been more substantial. If you're thinking about buying it, don't think at all. Just buy it knowing that you'll be missing out on a compilation album of one of the best songwriters of the past couple of decades...
Published on 4 Feb. 2000 by Ashley Cridland

3.0 out of 5 stars ... first Paul Weller CD most of the tracks are great though there are a few I skip through
My first Paul Weller CD most of the tracks are great though there are a few I skip through, I guess I will buy more of him though next time I might just download the tracks I like, still it's a good CD.
Published 10 months ago by Phil

5.0 out of 5 stars Five Stars, 28 July 2014
This review is from: Modern Classics: The Greatest Hits (Audio CD)
great album what more can i say

5.0 out of 5 stars Weller's vinyl proof that he's a singles guy first and forem, 9 April 2000
By A Customer
This review is from: Modern Classics: The Greatest Hits (Audio CD)
Anger and frustration (his fire hasn't really gone out) at people and the world in general, flow as a constant through a variety of (ever changing) moods. This album is the definitive proof that Paul Weller is a singles act first and foremost, through hook-laden songs such as "Wildwood" and "Above The Clouds", and the album's general gelling and completeness of sound. And it's always good to hear "Sunflower" again

5.0 out of 5 stars The guy is an institution--his own institution, 3 Oct. 2002
C. Jannuzi (Fukui, Japan) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Modern Classics: The Greatest Hits (Audio CD)
If you gave up on Paul Weller because the later Style Council stuff was not to your taste, you made a mistake. First of all, a lot of the unreleased Style Council stuff turned out far better than we could have thought once it was released.
Anyway, this compilation/sampler is the single best way to get caught up on Weller. 70s influence comes out strong in this rock, but it's not the stuff that influenced the younger Weller of the Jam (or not mostly I think).
As a sampler to what this genius is about, this collection is flawless. Then, if you like a particular song or songs, you can figure out what original l.p. to go back to. There is plenty more where this came from.
With Stuart Adamson gone, it's nice to think that there are still a few who have made good on the promise of all that creativity that burst forth after punk. Weller belongs to that elite.

4.0 out of 5 stars Four Stars, 1 Jan. 2015
AK Gale (UK) - See all my reviews
What's not to like?

5.0 out of 5 stars who would of though?, 17 Feb. 2006
This review is from: Modern Classics: The Greatest Hits (Audio CD)
Who would of thought? i came across the man paul weller whil viewing 'Big brother' amongst all things, they had the song 'you do somthing to me' on one of the clips, and i fell i love with it there and then, and after that inspiration of such a good tune, i thought i need a bit more of that, thats when i purchased this album.
i would reccomend it for people like me who havn't heard a lot of paul, as it gives a wide variety of songs.
Who would of thought? big brother led me to a ledgend, whats next?!

4.0 out of 5 stars Good - but shows that Paul needs Quality Control, 22 Jun. 2013
This review is from: Modern Classics: The Greatest Hits (Audio CD)
I have a love hate thing with Paul Weller - I found the hit rate (for me) with the Jam and Style Council high, and yet whilst the highs of his solo career are fantastic - there is for me quite a lot of filler. For me, stuff that would not have made it past your band mates, get onto the CD if there if the "band" is just you

Now, I guess many PW fans will not agree - but - hey - that's ok. this CD has Paul's highs all over it and really is a great set of tunes.

5.0 out of 5 stars Buy it, 19 Sept. 2014
Excellent

5.0 out of 5 stars Five Stars, 14 July 2014
Excellent

4.0 out of 5 stars Four Stars, 7 Feb. 2015
All good

5.0 out of 5 stars ABSOLUTE CLASS, 16 Mar. 2011
Mr. M. I. Muir (EDINBURGH) - See all my reviews
Always been a Paul Weller fan from The Jam,The Style Council and Of course his amazing solo career.
This album hits every right note, of what is pure class about the man.
This album is on in my car and has stayed on since i got it, after my 1st copy got scratched to death.
A must in anybodies CD collection who has decent taste of Music & great Artists.

Modern Classics: The Greatest Hits
Modern Classics: The Greatest Hits by Paul Weller (Audio CD - 2006)