5.0 out of 5 stars Astounding. Simply the best album I've ever purchased
I bought this album on the strength of one song (You Do Something To Me). Had I realised how amazing this album is, my justification of buying it would have been more substantial. If you're thinking about buying it, don't think at all. Just buy it knowing that you'll be missing out on a compilation album of one of the best songwriters of the past couple of decades...
Published on 4 Feb 2000 by Ashley Cridland

My first Paul Weller CD most of the tracks are great though there are a few I skip through, I guess I will buy more of him though next time I might just download the tracks I like, still it's a good CD.
Published 2 months ago by Phil

5.0 out of 5 stars Modern Classic - How right you are!, 25 April 2012
Ms. C. N. Barton-jones "CBJ" (Glos, UK) - See all my reviews
A brilliant album, this features more of his modern collection and as an introduction to Weller, I can have no complaints. Magic recording and a piece well worth having in your collection.

5.0 out of 5 stars Simply Brilliant, 15 July 2000
This review is from: Modern Classics: The Greatest Hits (Audio CD)
I bought this album on the day of the release and it is still in my CD player to this day. This is quite possibly the finest album ever made - especially the limited edition Modern Classics with bonus Live Classics CD. The first track, Out Of The Sinking sets up the feel of the album and every track is a piece of sheer class. It is easy to see why Paul Weller is one of the most respected figures in music.

3.0 out of 5 stars ... first Paul Weller CD most of the tracks are great though there are a few I skip through, 17 July 2014

4.0 out of 5 stars Modfather "Lite", 1 Mar 2007
A. J. Rabet "Rabs" (United Kingdom) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Modern Classics: The Greatest Hits (Audio CD)
This album shows the progression Paul Weller has made as a purely solo artist from 1992 to 1998. The tracks on it are stunning and include "Changing Man" "Out of the Sinking" "Broken Stones" "You do something to me " and many more it does not however include any of the stunning tracks which were not released as singles and therefore the collection is rather incomplete.

I would advise anyone buying this to treat it as an introduction to Paul Weller's solo work and then go on and buy his back catalogue as I am sure you will find songs on the albums which are better than some of the tracks included. I say this as a die hard Weller fan that first saw the Jam in the 1970's and still enjoys his work today.

4.0 out of 5 stars Well done, 16 Jan 2012
D. Burton "Diana" (UK) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Modern Classics: The Greatest Hits (Audio CD)
I bought this cd as I wanted one of the songs featured, as it turns out I've ended up liking several so I am quite happy with my purchase.

5.0 out of 5 stars FANTASTIC, 4 Jan 2000
This review is from: Modern Classics: The Greatest Hits (Audio CD)
Modern Classics, a brilliant cd, what more can you say. Paul's many years if experience in the music industry really shows in this album

5.0 out of 5 stars Five Stars, 28 July 2014
This review is from: Modern Classics: The Greatest Hits (Audio CD)
great album what more can i say

5.0 out of 5 stars Weller's vinyl proof that he's a singles guy first and forem, 9 April 2000
This review is from: Modern Classics: The Greatest Hits (Audio CD)
Anger and frustration (his fire hasn't really gone out) at people and the world in general, flow as a constant through a variety of (ever changing) moods. This album is the definitive proof that Paul Weller is a singles act first and foremost, through hook-laden songs such as "Wildwood" and "Above The Clouds", and the album's general gelling and completeness of sound. And it's always good to hear "Sunflower" again

5.0 out of 5 stars The guy is an institution--his own institution, 3 Oct 2002
C. Jannuzi (Fukui, Japan) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Modern Classics: The Greatest Hits (Audio CD)
If you gave up on Paul Weller because the later Style Council stuff was not to your taste, you made a mistake. First of all, a lot of the unreleased Style Council stuff turned out far better than we could have thought once it was released.
Anyway, this compilation/sampler is the single best way to get caught up on Weller. 70s influence comes out strong in this rock, but it's not the stuff that influenced the younger Weller of the Jam (or not mostly I think).
As a sampler to what this genius is about, this collection is flawless. Then, if you like a particular song or songs, you can figure out what original l.p. to go back to. There is plenty more where this came from.
With Stuart Adamson gone, it's nice to think that there are still a few who have made good on the promise of all that creativity that burst forth after punk. Weller belongs to that elite.

5.0 out of 5 stars who would of though?, 17 Feb 2006
This review is from: Modern Classics: The Greatest Hits (Audio CD)
Who would of thought? i came across the man paul weller whil viewing 'Big brother' amongst all things, they had the song 'you do somthing to me' on one of the clips, and i fell i love with it there and then, and after that inspiration of such a good tune, i thought i need a bit more of that, thats when i purchased this album.
i would reccomend it for people like me who havn't heard a lot of paul, as it gives a wide variety of songs.
Who would of thought? big brother led me to a ledgend, whats next?!

Modern Classics: The Greatest Hits
Modern Classics: The Greatest Hits by Paul Weller (Audio CD - 2006)