‹ Previous | 1 2 3 | Next ›

5.0 out of 5 stars Now That's What I Call Perfect Pop, 6 Dec. 2000
By A Customer
This review is from: London 0 Hull 4 (Audio CD)
It amazes me that in all of the End of the Century polls the music press and the like have conducted this album has never been mentioned.
It is full of catchy tunes, intelligent lyrics, humour, a splash of politics, but mainly it's the sheer excellence and beauty of these finely polished 3 minute masterpieces including the magnificent "Happy Hour", the poignant "Flag Day" and the original version of my own favourite "Think For A Minute".
Paul Heaton's mastery of the lyric shines through on this album and it's worth buying for the hilariously 80's photo of Norman "Fatboy Slim" Cook on the inlay card!
It's like a Northern drug this Housemartins lark! One listen and you're hooked!

5.0 out of 5 stars Party, party politics of the ugly fame....., 12 Oct. 2003
This review is from: London 0 Hull 4 (Audio CD)
The year is I986, we're talking miners, we're talking Thatcher, we're talking a shortarse northern guy preaching record industry nationalisation - behold, if you will,the world of the Housemartins. Their brand of jangle pop is still felt in indie circles (just listen to Lucksmiths or Moxy Fruvous) and with good reason. Happy Hour is a euphoric piece of pop fluff until the penny drops and we're let into the eccentric and frankly exhausting pysche of P.D Heaton, draped in delicous harmonies and Smiths-esque guitar. The lyrics lack the same creativity as later Beautiful South efforts (in fairness, they had less to work with, the album is a socialist propaganda showcase to make Rage Against The Machine blush) but Heaton's vocal is in its prime. As a result, the radically different gospel and a cappella segment isn't half as cringeworthy as it should have been, with a soaring 'Just Like A Shelter' a personal highlight. Initially fast-paced with a tongue-in-cheek soulful climbdown, London 0 Hull 4 is an essential album for anybody who suspected the 80s had some substance under the gloss.

5.0 out of 5 stars Wag you finger 'till your fingers sore.., 25 Jan. 2003
This review is from: London 0 Hull 4 (Audio CD)
Paul Heaton and Norman Cook have certainly followed very different paths since the glory days of this album and "The People Who.." For me neither of them have ever reproduced the energy and brilliance of these two seminal LP's. Even the Fat Boy with his super-popular sing-a-long-a dance music has never come close to emulating the raw exuberance of say "Get up off our knees" and has certainly never said anything as interesting. Paul Heaton's Beautiful South produced some nice ironic pop songs but surely he was at his best when belligerently battering the apathetic majority on songs like "Sheep: and "Sitting on a Fence" Never, in my opinion, has a band so overtly political, produced so many top tunes. Recently Paul has gone solo. I haven't heard any of his stuff yet but I hope he's gone back to his roots. Even better than that. Any chance of reforming just for a few gigs? London O Hull 4 is without doubt one of the albums of the eighties. Get it.

5.0 out of 5 stars Sitting on a Fence, 7 Mar. 2013
Rooksby (United KIngdom) - See all my reviews
This review is from: London 0 Hull 4 (Audio CD)
I recently picked up the cassette (!!) of this album at a jumble sale - which seems rather fitting, somehow - for a measly 50p. I hadn't heard it since the mid-1980s, when my then-girlfriend was utterly obsessed with it (The Smiths aside, she played little else). Though I was preferred The Jesus & Mary Chain, Sonic Youth, Big Flame, & their ilk back then, I was secretly rather fond of London 0 Hull 4 - it always seemed like a breath of fresh air in comparison to some of the noisy twaddle I was listening to back then.

Hearing it again, it sounds better than ever - I'd go as far as to say that there's not a bad song on it (even the instrumental interlude, "Reverend's Revenge", is blink-&-you'll-miss-it brief). It's a shame that The Housemartins (I refuse to call them the "Housies" - urrgh) are so steadfastly overlooked these days - though their influence is negligible, they were a very popular band in their (brief) time, & a one with an admirable message (or two) to impart as well. Sadly, it's difficult to imagine a band as intelligent & opinionated as The Housemartins scoring a #1 in the singles chart these days.

A fine LP - purchase with confidence, etc!

5.0 out of 5 stars The memories!, 12 Jun. 2013
This review is from: London 0 Hull 4 (Audio CD)
Met High Whitaker the drummer on this album in my local the other week. Thoroughly nice chap. It reminded me how much I used to love this album (cassette tape as it was back then). Ordered it on CD and the memories came flooding back. Happy hour again!

5.0 out of 5 stars There's no 'sitting on the fence' with this album....., 28 Aug. 2006
This review is from: London 0 Hull 4 (Audio CD)
The best of northern music on one disc. They have their own sound and their own beat. They could never be mistaken for another group. Paul and his group make this album deliciously addictive thanks to the lyrical content, subject and originality. One listen to his voice and you will play this album over and over again.

5.0 out of 5 stars Amazing pop!, 7 Sept. 2013
mandynolan "mandynolan" - See all my reviews
(TOP 1000 REVIEWER)    (VINE VOICE)
This review is from: London 0 Hull 4 (Audio CD)
Like most of the reviewers I bought this to replace a cassette tape! I'd forgotten how good it was.....Its perfect, thoughtful pop at its best....It was brought back to my attention by The Worlds End soundtrack.....The World's End.....which has many a great track on it.....
The mid 80's were a difficult time for many and records such as these helped get us through.....A good buy that reminds me of visiting Hull in the 80's and staying at the Newland Homes....So for me its definitely Hull 4 London 0......

5.0 out of 5 stars London 0 Hull 4, 13 May 2010
Georgina Lansbury (UK) - See all my reviews
This review is from: London 0 Hull 4 (Audio CD)
Oh my days - there is nothing quite like music to take you back to a place and a time in your life - unless it's a smell of course ... London 0 Hull 4, I only bought it to help speed tidying up, it worked for my best friend and me when we lived together broke but happy all those years ago when men were men and women were fiesty - but not in an uncool grrrl power way: we were Feminists and drank pints, not because it was fashionable, but because we liked it! How odd it was - to remember every single word - to the mortification of my neighbours no doubt - and to think, "I still agree with every word of Anxious, Sheep and all of that." Also, thought how things had turned a full circle when I listened to how newspapers supported all things blue - Sam Cam and Dave being put up as The Greatest Love of All (until Nick chucked her out of bed of course). I know the Housemartins are dead and gone - not literally of course - Heaton is doing whatever he is doing, one married a laddette and one went mad and did something odd and I can't think of the last one. Never mind - the band is long gone, but really and truly? Great music never, ever dies.

4.0 out of 5 stars It really is a Happy 45mins, 25 Jun. 2009
T.K "Tom" (Stoke,England) - See all my reviews
This review is from: London 0 Hull 4 (Audio CD)
One of the feel good British albums of the 80s, The Housemartins combination of classic British pop with controversial lyrical topics made them one of the most popular British bands of the mid-late 80s. Many of the song deal with controversial subjects yet many of the songs are brilliant for many reasons. Some of Paul Heatons lyrics are heartfelt and some of the songs remain catchy and fresh even today. There isn't really a bad song on here most songs on this album are good for many reasons like happy Hour,Get up off our knees,Over There,Think for a Minute etc. Maybe the only weak points on the album are Lean on Me and Reverends Revenge, yet still with or without the inclusion of these tracks this debut is fun and brilliant in the same sentence.

Key Tracks:Happy Hour,Think for a Minute,Over There,We're not deep,Freedom

Also Buy:'The Smiths' by 'The Smiths'

4.0 out of 5 stars Simply Brilliant, 9 May 2012
This review is from: London 0 Hull 4 (Audio CD)
This is such a good album; full of catchy tunes (if a bit 'samey' in places) and Paul Heaton's insightful lyrics. You can see where the Beautiful South came from and how they were a progression from this, which was a brilliant start.

Recommended.

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 | Next ›

London 0/Hull 4 [CASSETTE]
London 0/Hull 4 [CASSETTE] by Housemartins (Audio Cassette)