Published 4 months ago by The Guardian

1.0 out of 5 stars The Wall 5 stars, Immersion set 1 Star
First and foremost let me explain all 5 star reviews on here are for Pink Floyd The Wall (The album) not to be confused with what Amazon and EMI are selling here Pink Floyd The Wall IMMERSION!
Published on 5 Mar. 2012 by Mr. T. Steer

1.0 out of 5 stars The Wall 5 stars, Immersion set 1 Star, 5 Mar. 2012
This is just a corporate marketing scam making the box set look like its got a 5 star review, if you go through the reviews you will notice the Immersion reviews are never 5 stars.
Before I go on I love Pink Floyd however this Immersion project has been a real let down for many of us fans who feel EMI have made a over priced boxset which never really made us feel fully immersed!

As with the other Immersion boxsets it contains the usual useless Scarf, marbles, envelopes etc... TAT!
Well the remastered album The Wall does sound nice and yes they have included Is there anybody out there (The Wall LIVE) theres even a cd of demo tracks but hang on there cut so we don't get the full demo??
The visual dvd was a complete let down with less than 2 minutes of live footage!
As many people know The Wall was recorded yet somehow this does not get included?

I and as many Floyd fans would of liked to see the film on Blu ray and a 5.1 mix of the album, I have found out that they now plan to release a 5.1 mix of the album!

Now for anyone who would like the good contents of the Immersion set should not have to pay the price and you don't have to, this is how.

Buy
'Is there anybody out there' £11
'The Wall [Experience Edition]' £14.93

This gives you the album, live material and demos, only thing missing would be the dvd.
Totals £25.93 BARGAIN!

However you can get the Film of 'The Wall' which is not included with the Immersion with tons of great extras for £7.84

so why don't you just get all that for £33.77?

2.0 out of 5 stars Uncomfortably numb, 28 Feb. 2012
Amazon Customer (Lyme Regis, Dorset) - See all my reviews
Why oh why could I not have waited a few days and read the scathing reviews first, but no. Lulled by the blatant advertising on a certain DAB rock radio channel of how great this release was going to be, with previously unreleased live versions I went ahead and pre-ordered.

For my £90 I now have a remaster of a brilliant album that I love, granted, but I could have got that for £15 with the "experience" edition. The live album tracks are not "previously unreleased" Nicky Horne, they are the 1980/1 "Is There anybody out there?" live CD which you can get for £12

So what else do I get for the price difference, well I get 3 marbles, ooh whoopee, replacements, I knew I'd lost my marbles when it dawned on me what I'd just bought! 2 extra CDs of dubious work in progress tracks, moderately interesting, but then so is watching paint dry if you are bored. Some nice printed pictures and some repro passes and tickets - wow, I must mount those next to my genuine one from the original show 30years ago and the one from the 30th anniversary event of 2011 at the O2, they will really look convincing. Finally a DVD of clips you could probably find on YouTube. So roughly £60 extra for worthless filler - thanks EMI - I'm uncomfortably numbed by your transformation of a brilliant album into one of ridicule due to price and "extra" content.

Experience edition - what experienced people buy, Immersion edition - what mugs like me bought.

2.0 out of 5 stars Complete Rip Off - Should be titled "Submersion Edition", 27 Feb. 2012
The kind of person that buys this will almost certainly already own "The Wall" and "Is there anybody out there" - 4 of the 6 CDs. The 2 CDs of demos are interesting, in a deluxe edition sort of way - but certainly not worth an extra £50 or so over the experience edition (that includes 1 of the demo disks). Indeed the value added content in this box includes a few marbles (!!!!), some pictures and a couple of booklets (very limited compared with the wonderful Gerald Scarfe book - the Making of Pink Floyd The Wall), and, of course, the DVD. This is quite possibly the worst add on I have ever seen in a super deluxe box set: for your money you get 1. The happiest days of our lives from Earl's Court (wonderful - but where is the rest of the concert? - it was filmed - you can get the murky looking bootleg - could they not find more than 1 decent track to show us? - and even then it is a lea- in track. 2. The music video of Another Brick in the Wall (wow! ). 3. A really lame documentary about the Wall. 4. A 30 year old interview with Gerald Scarfe. That is it! What about all of the animations and back drops from the live shows? New interviews? How about a movie about the current staging of "the Wall".
During the Gerald Scarfe interview he states that the Wall was conceived by Roger Waters as an Album, a Stage Show and as a Movie. A super-deluxe box set should include all three of these items. It disappoints. I think the majority of fans would have paid £100 for the video of the show at Earl's Court - murkiness included (- who cares about the quality -but it looks pretty good on the one track featured) just to see what it was like (and compare it with the current staging that many of us have seen). Instead we get 1 lousy song that feels like a teaser for a forthcoming release. If the video does officially emerge, I won't know whether or not to be furious or delighted.
What is obviously missing is a high resolution DVD-A or Blu-Ray disc in 5.1 surround, or, at the very least, a blu-ray version of the movie (with 24bit/192kz LPCM audio). It is truly galling that the best EMI can do with a 30 year old album is reproduce it in 30 year old digital technology (16 bit CD). We previously coughed up a ton for the high resolution version of WYWH on blu-ray to discover that the disc was very poorly mastered. To add insult to injury, an SACD version became available subsequently, retailing for nearly £50 (and not available in retail stores). If there was to be no high resolution disc included in this box, they should have included the next best thing - 180g vinyl. No, that's another £25 (about 4 times what I paid for it originally).
I have always thought of Pink Floyd as a generous band - think of all those stickers and posters that came with the original LP of DSOTM. I have lost a lot of respect for them with these reissues. I am sure that there are lots of suckers out there like me that cannot resist the super deluxe box. I have lots of them. Compared with the Stone Roses, Derek and the Dominoes, Achtung Baby, Screamadelica - and, in particular, Neil Young's archives, this is a complete rip off. Avoid. Buy the experience edition if you don't already have the album.

4.0 out of 5 stars The Wall Experience edition: Floyd's 1979 epic nicely remastered, plus more, 7 Dec. 2014
The Guardian (UK) - See all my reviews
(VINE VOICE)    (TOP 50 REVIEWER)
The Wall is a long way from my favourite Floyd album. IMHO this excessively hyped, incoherent jumble of ideas is eclipsed easily by 1994's The Division Bell and earlier more thoughtful works from Floyd's underground days like Meddle, and was never in the same league as the seminal DSotM and WYWH. However, The Wall is not without its moments: between the indifferent tracks and tiresome preachiness of Roger Waters' epic lie some gems like `Comfortably Numb' and `Run like Hell' and the admittedly memorable `Another Brick Pt2'.

In addition to a very good remastering of the whole album, the 3-disk `Experience Edition' offers a third disk of unused demo tracks a and unreleased work-in-progress, some of which are pretty good. Many of these pieces are extended and allowed to settle into a nice groove in classic Floyd style; the cuts chosen for the original vinyl album release (maybe for reasons of available space, imagined dramatic effect or just seeking to appeal to a different audience with a shorter attention span) in comparison sound cropped.

In summary, if you still like music in physical-library format (i.e. CD or vinyl) and don't have The Wall in your collection yet, this is the recommended release and the one to buy.

3.0 out of 5 stars Immersion but not 5.1, 29 Feb. 2012
After buying the previous 2 excellent Pink Floyd Immersion releases I purchased The Wall to complete my set. Beware this is not a 5.1 surround sound edition only a REMASTER of the origonal double CD Plus a Live double CD. The rest of the disks are demos and a DVD of documentaries. A total of 7 discs are supplied. The usual scarf, marbles, beer mats and booklets are added on as extras. I would have much prefered a 5.1 version included for this price. Maybe it will be released in years to come - "Total" Immersion Edition. "All in all just another REMASTER of The Wall"

2.0 out of 5 stars Hey EMI, we don't need all these accessories. IMMERSION - The Wall, 27 Feb. 2012
Mr Paul Savory (Wrexham, UK) - See all my reviews
(VINE VOICE)
IMMERSION version review & EXPERIENCE lower down the page.The Wall [Experience Edition]

THE SOUND QUALITY OF THE 2011 REMASTER IS AN INCREDIBLE IMPROVEMENT OVER THE 1992/1994 ISSUE. So do treat yourself to a new copy to go along side your vinyl, aad cd, Shine On/1994 remaster. For me OBSCURED BY CLOUDS and THE WALL benefited most from the new up-grade, (I treated myself to Meddle upto The Wall only, as I am more than happy with the 1994 remasters for everything else).

O.M.G., I have given this, THE most important LP in my life, 2 Stars. The Wall is where I discovered "proper" music for the first time back in 1980. Even got front row on the 21/07/1990 with what could have been a million people behind me.

So what do you get for your money:

CD 1 & 2 The Wall digitally remastered by James Guthrie, 2011
CD 3 & 4 Is There Anybody Out There: The Wall Live (digitally remastered in 2011 by James Guthrie)
CD 5 & 6 The Wall album demos (previously unreleased) approx 2 hours. (Don't get excited by "The Doctor", if you are expecting a stunning Gilmour solo, forget it. If want more excellent Gilmour check out: 1. PAUL McCARTNEY - NO MORE LONELY NIGHTS. 2. BRYAN FERRY - IS YOUR LOVE STRONG ENOUGH 12" 3. BERLIN - PINK & VELVET (probably all on YouTube).
DISC 7 - DVD, AUDIO VISUAL
Replica of The Wall Backstage Pass
Scarf
Prints/Cards of Mark Fisher's stage drawings
3 x white marbles with design of bricks
9 x Coasters (unique to this box) featuring early Storm Thorgerson design sketches
Credits booklet

Okay, that's what you get for your money, all housed in a box. Personally, I think the front cover is awful. I am sure more care could have gone into Gerald Scarfe's wonderful drawings.
Of course, most of us have "The Wall" and have already bought the cd version 1) analog 2)1994 remaster or 1992 Shine On and again in one of several formats of "Is There Anybody Out There?"
Most of the DVD is repeats found elsewhere.
So moving onto THE DEMOS. Excellent quality and interesting. However, that said I will not (I think) be playing these 2 dics a great deal. I have never really cared for the "Demo" tracks on any cd by any artist. Anyway, that's my own view.

An absolute 50 Star album which should have been (in my opinion) seperated into 4 individual releases now only gets 2 Stars for the whole package.

NEW UPDATED COMMENT (30th Nov 2012 (Happy 33rd birthday to "The Wall") and that is just to say that with careful searching on download sites it is possible to find "The Wall - live", it is "Is there anybody out there?" superb sound dubbed over the full length, poor quality filmed concert, Earl's Court. It is a fine attempt using the available footage by those who made it. Yes the sync is slightly out at times but until EMI, Floyd can be bothered to put this out god bless the bootleggers. If you are interested then I can only point you in the right direction to find it for yourself as it is an illegal, naughty product... shocking! And have you got Gerald Scarfe's superb book, "The Making of The Wall".The Making of Pink Floyd The Wall I reviewed the hardback version but it's now in paperback version to.

ANOTHER NEW UPDATE ON THE WALL. Jan 2013.

EXPERIENCE review:The Wall [Experience Edition] NEW TO THE FLOYD - YOU WILL NEED 1. DARK SIDE OF THE MOON, 2. WISH YOU WERE HERE, 3. ANIMALS & 4. THE WALL, those four just for starters (avoid wasting your money on "ONE FOOT IN THE DOOR".

With HMV closing I found the EXPERIENCE edition for £12. Bought it and I have to admit that it is A LOVELY PACKAGE - with only minimal flaws in my opinion to the artwork: those being instead of 4 hammers on the inner quad gatefold (how 70's Prog Rock is that - and of course what is The Wall, only the ultimate in prog rock albums)... so instead of 4 pages of hammers, why not use the original lp label designs and instead of The Wife & Teacher use the 2 different labels from the single's b side, "One of my turns", one without the window and one with the window. The lyric booklet has the scale 1:1, (compared to the original lp) print of Gerald Scarfe's handwritten lyrics. Empty Spaces lyrics are included, but gone are "What shall we do now?" The booklet also feature as a center spread the original gatefold inner sleeve. As miniature replicas go this is special, because generally I don't like them, much prefer the 12" vinyls but I like this.

ONE FINAL NOTE:

With so many of us asking about a 5.1 mix and none about, if you have a 5.1 system and your amp can separate stereo audio in to Left, Right and Rear (mono) have you tried that. Strangely though, my system seems to prefer 70's prog (Rush's 2112, Genesis and EMI artists, FLOYD & Queen in particular).

ONE VERY FINAL NOTE:
Don't get excited by the demo, "The Doctor", if you are expecting a stunning Gilmour solo, forget it. If want more excellent Gilmour check out: 1. PAUL McCARTNEY - NO MORE LONELY NIGHTS. 2. BRYAN FERRY - IS YOUR LOVE STRONG ENOUGH 12" 3. BERLIN - PINK & VELVET (probably all on YouTube).

1.0 out of 5 stars Disappointed (Almost) beyond words, 27 Feb. 2012
Anthony Corkery (Salisbury UK) - See all my reviews
Others have outlined the contents and the mismatch with the asking price but I naively assumed that for such a mark up there would definitely be a 5.1 release. WRONG, what a rip-off!

What's more Amazon, what's with all the linked 5 star reviews that relate to completely different products?

5.0 out of 5 stars Rhe extra disc is like a new Floyd album, 27 Feb. 2012
Mr. R. G. Prizeman "Dickie 1" (croydon UK) - See all my reviews
The Wall has always been a very interesting piece of music, it is well i think Roger Waters best piece of material while he was the main member, in control,of Pink Floyd, but David Gilmore is fighting through with one of the best Floyd Tracks ever Comfortably numb, Run like hell.Now I am not going too go on about the album as I think most fans will know all about that, and its musical highlights.
Starting with the original album new master is good but how do you better excellence, as I always felt the sound has always been fantastic, this remaster is good and keeping the high-quality spot on, in fact to say the sound is "beautiful" would be an understatement.
The real excitement comes with disc three, early domes, and different lyrics completely and sung with lighter vocals on many like Young Lust, and Vera,tracks like Teacher teacher which uses the music from The final cut with different lyrics.
I just have to say its brilliant,and now the closest we will ever get to a new Floyd album. The demo's also sound fantastic. Of all the expanded versions this is the best for me.
Mother is brilliant and very moving,and this version could have made the album, but obviously the band still wanted better. This is an insight to one our best bands ever i can only recommend that you buy the 3 disc version, it really makes no sense to just buy the double. Oh finally, other early versions from the final cut with different lyrics also appear, but as history retails, got thrown out, however they are still very interesting.

1.0 out of 5 stars VERY MISLEADING, 3 Mar. 2012
Graham C. Rodger (United Kingdom) - See all my reviews
BEARING IN MIND THE DISASTER THAT WAS THE WISH YOU WERE HERE IMMERSION BOX SET (GLITCHES ON THE DVD-AUDIO DISC, DUE TO A FAULTY GLASS MASTER AT THE PRESSING PLANT) IT COMES AS NO SURPRISE THAT AMAZON HAS NOW INCLUDED EVERY REVIEW OF THE WALL ALBUM SINCE 1994 HERE IN THE LISTING FOR THE IMMERSION EDITION, TO BUMP UP THE RATINGS. CLEARLY, AND DUE TO THE FACT THAT THERE IS ANOTHER GLITCH HERE IN THE SECOND LIVE WALL AUDIO DISC (IS THERE ANYBODY OUT THERE DISC 2), AMAZON AND EMI ARE DESPERATE TO AVOID ANOTHER EXPENSIVE DISASTER. WHAT A SHAMBLES. THE TIME AND EFFORT THAT WENT INTO THE RECORDING AND REMASTERING OF THIS ALBUM HAS NOW BEEN RENDERED POINTLESS BY SHODDY AND INDIFFERENT CORPORATE GREED.

WHO IN THERE RIGHT MIND IS GOING TO PAY FOR THIS EXPENSIVE SET, KNOWING THAT THERE IS AN AUDIO GLITCH IN THE SECOND LIVE WALL DISC....? WHERE IS THE QUALITY CONTROL...? WHY HAS EMI GOT THIS SO BADLY WRONG (ONLY ONE OUT OF THREE IMMERSION EDITIONS ARE GLITCH-FREE)...? THE FANS AND COLLECTORS DESERVE SO MUCH MORE.

5.0 out of 5 stars [7/22]... Building the wall but not the Bridges!, 21 Mar. 2015
[7]...Roger Waters wrote most of the albums material, with David Gilmour sharing the credits on 'Comfortably numb' 'Run like hell' & 'Young lust'. 'The Wall' is a rock opera based on a character called 'Pink' whose father was killed during the second world war. 'Pink' oppressed by an over protective mother & tormented by abusive teachers later goes on to be a rock star who is marred by infidelity & drug use.......... Roger, at 5 months old lost his own father, Eric Fletcher Waters, a second lieutenant of the 8th Royal Fusiliers near Rome in Italy during the second world war & Syd Barrett was mentally destroyed by drug abuse. 'The Wall' was inspired by both Waters & Barrett's live's.

Michael Kamen supervised the orchestral arrangements, while James Guthrie replaced Brian Humphries in the production process, who was emotionally drained by his 5 years with the band. Relations between the band were at a low ebb & Bob Ezrin the co-producer became intermediary between Waters & the rest of the band, they were rarely in the studio together.

The breakdown within the band is a complicated one, so here is the short version......Initially the band agreed to record through the spring & early summer, breaking for a holiday in August. At the same time they were advised that to avoid bankruptcy they needed to leave the UK no later than the 6 April 1979 for a minimum of one year to avoid paying UK taxes......within a month all four families left to live abroad, this put a lot of pressure on all of them, they needed this album to be released & be a success!

They were on a tight schedule, Ezrin's poor punctuality did'nt help, he admitted later that he had marital problems & was not in the best shape emotionally......Richard Wright's children were older & attended school, he admitted that he was missing them terribly, he was also worried by Ezrin's effect on on the bands internal relationship, going through a failing marriage, apparently close to depression, & all this exacerbated by his now non residency......

They were behind schedule by August, Columbia records put the pressure on by offering a better deal for a Christmas release, this mean't increasing the workload. Roger suggested recording 10 days earlier than agreed & hiring another keyboardist to work alongside Wright, whose keyboard parts had not yet been recorded,.....yet Wright refused to cut short his family holiday in Rhodes........
Roger's relationship with Richard broke down, even David Gilmour complained that Wright's lack of input was 'driving them all mad' , although he supported him, he did remind him of his minimal contributions to the album......Wright even fell out with Ezrin over the production & eventually it led to Roger's ultimatum to Wright that if he did not leave he would not release 'The Wall' album.........Several days later Richard Wright quit the band. He left during the production but remained as a salaried musician.,,,,,,

It was all a shambles............Yet somehow through all of that, they managed to produce this masterpiece!.....

The Wall
The Wall by Pink Floyd (Audio CD - 1990)