Shop now Learn more Shop now Shop Black Friday Deals Week in Fashion Cloud Drive Photos Shop now Amazon Fire TV Shop now DIYED Shop now Shop Fire Shop Kindle Paperwhite Listen in Prime Shop Now Shop now

on 24 February 2007
I have a nice collection of recordings of Schubert's 9th symphony and this recording ranks as the star of my collection. I recommend it highly: the orchestration is superb and Tennstedt captures the exact spirit of the symphony and conveys it with verve and intensity. The only recording I have which comes close is the '61 recording with Klemperer and Philharmonia Orchestra, which is however too fast for my taste (though my wife loves it :).

The '63 recording with Karl Böhm and Berliner Philharmoniker rates as "light entertainment" in comparison - it has not an ounce of the intensity and life of the Tennstedt recording. And listening to the the '67 recording of Wolfgang Sawallisch and Staatskapelle Dresden after hearing Tennstedt is an exercise in boredom - it is the most "dead" recording I have ever heard of this masterful piece.
TOP 1000 REVIEWERon 14 April 2014
These remain two of the finest accounts of either symphony I've come across on recordings. The Schubert ninth is a rugged dramatic reading which has been overshadowed by other more famous accounts and yet it has a refreshing dramatic directness that I find compelling. The Italian Symphony is also given a direct and refreshing reading and the early digital sound is pretty good.
on 2 April 2006
Both symphonies superbly played in unmatched grandeur, grace and noble beauty. A MUST for Tennstedt fans!