5.0 out of 5 stars Absolutely Wonderful, 7 Dec 2002
This review is from: Another Setting (Audio CD)
I bought this back in 1984 (I think!) based on a music paper review saying that it was a cross between Joy Division & Erik Satie. Of course, it's not really like that, though I can see where the reviewer was coming from. Anyway, I loved this album so much I gradually bought about 15 Durutti Column albums! Quite simply, this was one of the best 'blind' buys I ever purchased. And still, almost 20 years later, it still sounds fresh if somewhat minimal next to later DC offerings. But for me, this will always be the best Durutti Column album, a gorgeous mix of Vini Reilly's singing and guitar with Bruce Mitchell's awesome minimalist percussion. Quoting from Vini Reilly on a later album - this is avant-garde jazz classical. I saw them live a couple of year's later and was stunned to see that Vini plays basslines, rhythm and lead on his guitar at the same time. Beautiful. Very delicate.

5.0 out of 5 stars Excellent Atmospheric Album, 28 Oct 2010
This review is from: Another Setting (Audio CD)
My brother owned this album when it came out in the 80's. It was a factory record, so being a Joy Division fan he tried it.
I remember relaxing to this minimalist laid back record throughout the eighties. This and 'Amigos en Portugal' are my favourite Durutti Column albums. Recommended.

4.0 out of 5 stars Voice v Guitar, 9 Aug 2014
Sentinel (Essex) - See all my reviews
(TOP 500 REVIEWER)
This review is from: Another Setting (Audio CD)
There are those who love Vini's voice & his guitar playing, and there are those who feel the former can't really compete with the sublime sounds of the latter. I have to confess that I was disappointed that his voice takes precedence, to the neglect of his gorgeous guitar sounds, on this album.

Happily, the final seven tracks redeemed the situation for me, with 5 'Portugese' and 2 further instrumental tracks, which were well worth the wait. As you know, even a little of what Vini can do with a guitar can go a long way, and these final tracks are really lovely.

And if you love both, well you're in clover!

Another Setting
Another Setting by Durutti Column (Audio CD - 1999)