4.0 out of 5 stars Hmm, not bad! :)
Well, what can I say? When I first saw the movie I was flabberghasted by the music! Now, I'm not usually one to sit though a Ewan McGregor movie and only listen to the soundtrack, but I just couldn't stop myself from ignoring what was happening onscreen and listening to the bright and colourful songs.

The Soundtrack CD is utterly fabulous in many ways. It...
Published on 9 July 2006 by K

3.0 out of 5 stars Great film... here's the music
The movie explored a time of Glam Rock. It was all about the music. Music that is contained right here, on this spendid soundtrack.
Published on 31 July 2004 by John P. Galantini

4.0 out of 5 stars Hmm, not bad! :), 9 July 2006
This review is from: Velvet Goldmine (Audio CD)

The Soundtrack CD is utterly fabulous in many ways. It has many of the songs featured in the movie. However, there's a slight hitch. Some of the songs that are performed by Jonathan Rhys Meyers are not on the CD (the SONGS are, but not his performances of them! Someone else is singing on many). Songs by him on the CD are: Baby's On Fire, and Tumbling Down. A little disappointing, but the other versions are good all the same.

Also, Ewan McGregor's songs in the film (TV Eye; Gimme Danger) are also slightly different. TV Eye is not the same as in the movie, but it's still Ewan McGregor singing, which is fine by me. But Gimme Danger isn't even on the CD!

BUT! Don't let this put you off buying it! No!

The Soundtrack CD is still a mindblower and greatly reflects the colour of the movie! ;)

5.0 out of 5 stars you can close your eyes cause it's alright, 24 Nov 1999
By A Customer
This review is from: Velvet Goldmine (Audio CD)
i don't know no love songs, and i can't sing the blues anymore.....as a devout fan of placebo and david bowie, and lover of all things dark and glittery, this cd was certainly a marvellous choice. i saw the film and immediately went to buy the soundtrack. if you like andrygynous glam rock, please, do swing by your record dealer and snatch this up.

5.0 out of 5 stars so worth buying..., 31 Aug 2003
Kara (RUSHDEN, Northants United Kingdom) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Velvet Goldmine (Audio CD)
This album is brilliant from start to finish. Brian Eno opens up the soundtrack with the incredible "Needle in the Camel's Eye", to the gripping T Rex cover of "20th Century Boy" by Placebo, and the amazing vocals of Jonathan Rhys Meyers as he sings with Venus in Furs for "Baby's on fire" and "Tumbling Down". The soundtrack is nicely closed on the 19th song with the classic, "Make me smile (come up and see me)" by Steve Harley.
This soundtrack really is a perfect definition of 70s glam rock, and I would recommend it to anyone of any age.

3.0 out of 5 stars Great film... here's the music, 31 July 2004
This review is from: Velvet Goldmine (Audio CD)
Now, I don't usualy go for soundtracks, but I kid you not, this is the real McCoy. Many great artists of the day (Placebo, Pulp and even Thom Yorke) have come together to provide excellent music, sounding as though it was made in 1974. This record will be loved by Bowie fans alike and those who have seen and loved the movie. Otherwise, this may not be for you. I classed it 3 stars instead of 4, as the general track arrangement of the album was disapointing.

5.0 out of 5 stars Glamour on a rollercoaster, 3 Aug 2002
Juan F. De Leonardis (Barcelona, Spain) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Velvet Goldmine (Audio CD)
Great music for a great film. Although you are not gonna find no Bowie in here this cd is a top choice. From intensively orchestrated covers to hard guitars, it covers it in full. A must have to all Glam lovers.

4.0 out of 5 stars A favourite soundtrack, 25 April 2013
Amazon Customer (England) - See all my reviews
(TOP 500 REVIEWER)
This review is from: Velvet Goldmine (Audio CD)
'Velvet Goldmine' is one of my favourite movie soundtracks. In fact, it's the only one I've ever purchased. I loved the film, but was drawn into the music and tended to concentrate more on that than what was actually taking place on screen.

'Velvet Goldmine' is a collection of glam rock songs by glam-influenced bands, both past and present. Shudder To Think wrote one of the album's highlights with 'Ballad Of Maxwell Demon', especially for the film. My favourite tracks are three songs performed by the movie's fictional band Venus In Furs: 'Tumbling Down' (a beautiful song that you could listen to over and over), 'Ladytron' and '2 HB'. Songs that we associate with the era and that everyone will be more familiar with include T-Rex's 'Diamond Meadows' and 'Make Me Smile (Come Up and See Me)' by Steve Harley.

If you enjoyed the movie, you'll love the soundtrack. A great introduction to glam-rock!

4.0 out of 5 stars good soundtrack, 17 April 2013
This review is from: Velvet Goldmine (Audio CD)
i would recommend this album to those who liked the film obviously. very seventies feel to this soundtrack.a good buy

5.0 out of 5 stars the ballad of...., 25 July 2012
This review is from: Velvet Goldmine (Audio CD)
i got the sound track after falling in love with the movie. so glad i did. im often bopping around my room and singing into a hairbrush to this.

5.0 out of 5 stars surprise!, 11 Aug 2011
This review is from: Velvet Goldmine (Audio CD)
I didn't know the movie nor the soundtrack, I'm not actually a fan of the genre, that is why I say this was a surprise, because it enchanted me so much and so strongly, as a movie and as a soundtrack, that I'm still crazy of of it! It's funny, sexy, vintage, glam...and very nice for JRM fans to hear him sing. I bought it because I was curious, now I love it!

4.0 out of 5 stars Wam Bam Thank You Mam., 29 Sep 2009
manny b "manny b" (Brisbane, Australia) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Velvet Goldmine (Audio CD)
Wow, what a trip back in time. Great soundtrack and I haven't even seen the movie yet. Love the Placebo cover of the T. Rex classic 20th Century Boy.
Do yourself a favour and get it.

Velvet Goldmine
Velvet Goldmine by Carter Burwell (Audio CD - 1999)