• OK

Format: Audio CD|Change

on 2 July 2000
Talvin Singh manages to combine the exciting complexity of jungle and dance rhythms with the elegancy of Indian/Asian inspired music. It takes the listener on a journey, through mountains and streams to volcanoes and lightning. He seems to have every human feeling encapsulated on this unique and stunning album. I could gush for hours. The man is a genius. The album is invinsible.
TOP 500 REVIEWERon 28 November 2008
This arrived yesterday and I'd played it through five times by the end of the day, the last time at three in the morning, where I just dozed and allowed myself total immersion. I buy a lot of music so it's relatively rare these days that an album hits me between the eyes and lights me up on first hearing, but this one did.

I can only presume the negative reviews are from folks who were expecting a particular type of music rather than a syncretic work of huge scope and originality.

I've owned Talvin's Ha for several years and which I've liked and thought was 'OK'. Having got it down and given it some further listening recently I found that this time it was actually getting under my skin, so I ordered this. This has all the vibrant percussion layers of Ha but it also has somewhat more melodic content as well, including beautiful strings, Bollywood choirs, sitars, sarangis and loads more beside. The best description that comes to mind is the Orb, at their classic best, meets Shakti. Pure delight.
on 15 January 2000
This on-U recording collaborator who was musical director for Bjork's 'Debut' has come to fruition in his own right in his third album release.His classical training has won international respect with his collaborations and projects including the calcutta cybercafe and even Sun Ra. Tabla is his roots and production is his domain, using Japanese influences and New York rhythms with Bill Laswell, this IS the future sound of Asian Britain, and respectfully was chosen to dawn the new millenium in the Dome. Wake up to a taste of where it's going.
on 3 November 1999
When listening to Talvin Singh's album for the first time, naturally the first track that I flicked to was OK (the title track) which is absolutely mind-blowing, if only the other tracks were up to this high standard. OK is the sort of album where it's hard work to get into it, and once you are - you really have to be in the right mood to appreciate it. When in the right mood, it hits the spot perfectly! OK in my eyes is just that. OK.
Tim W.
on 15 October 2000
It combines the best in classical indian intrumentalists and excellent electronic background music. A modern day Ravi Shankar.
on 27 January 2000
Amazing mixture of Asian and modern elements delivers the goods like nothing I've heard for a long time. Quite similar to Jan Garbarek in that it combines classical structures and melodies with out-of-this-world Asian melodies. A work of true genius - go and buy it.
on 26 September 2015
WONDERFULLY EXECUTED SOUNDS. This has a unique edgy often tempo driven Asian sound that sounds like nothing else. I am a big fan and I also recommend grabbing this album for the reasons that Talvin uses experimental production fused with the most delicious ethnic music which works so well. I only have 2 of his albums so far and I can also highly recommend the album entitled 'Ha' by Talvin. If you are looking for other artists similar then look for Nitin Sawney also. Another great experimental producer who has created many wonderful albums.
on 1 September 2005
Having read some of the reviews here, I am not sure if I will be able to sway prospective buyers one way or the other. I get the feeling that OK is an album that you are going to be very impressed with or find it "okay". However, what I can say about the album is that Talvin Singh is a great producer and collabortor (I am quite a fan of the Madras Philiharmonic Orchestra). Like many others, I too like the up beat Sutrix, I like the slightly more downtempo sound of Butterfly (as heard on so many Cafe Del Mar and Ministry of Sound-esque chill-out CD's). I have been a fan of world fusion for quite a while, and I think OK has done a pretty good job of getting world fusion a wider audience.
What I would like to add is if you are one of the people who like Talvin Singh, then try checking out Karsh Kale, he is from the USA and I am sure you'd like his style too.
on 28 May 2013
Classic! This is an excellent album by Talvin Singh and I look forward to buying more of his work, thanks
on 1 January 2000
I am quite sure that Talvin Singh's very unique music style will appeal more to Anglo-Asians than anyone else, but its worth a try for anyone. The music's strong points include the hypnotic purring of the tabla drums, which are used to maximum effect in several tracks (most particularly, 'Butterfly'). Some vocalisation is annoying, such as in 'Mombasstic' and 'Decca', but never annoying enough to avoid altogether. Some tracks are upbeat (e.g Butterfly and OK), some are filled with powerful negative emotion (e.g Light and Disser), while most are somewhere in between. Each track has a certain degree of beauty and uniqueness...