5.0 out of 5 stars Deeper than the pacific
It took me all of 2 months to actually get used to this album. I heard it once and was ready to return it back to the store after expecting a repeat of the collosal album "Jagged Little Pill". I still say JLP is a better album, but after looking deeper into "Supposed Former Infatuation Junkie" I can see how deep and spiritual it is. It was the lack of...
Published on 27 Sept. 2000

3.0 out of 5 stars Supposed Former Infatuation Junkie
`Supposed Former Infatuation Junkie' is the follow up to `Jagged Little Pill' and is a different beast indeed. It received some flack for this and it is true it doesn't live up to the heights of her debut.

Published on 18 Dec. 2010 by Spider Monkey

‹ Previous | 1 2 36 | Next ›

5.0 out of 5 stars Superb, 28 Mar. 2000
By A Customer
This review is from: Supposed Former Infatuation Junkie (U.S. Version) (Audio CD)
One needs to listen to this album with much attention before one realises how revealing it is about Alanis. The marked difference between her "Jagged Little Pill" and this album is probably a result of her search for meaning in life- not just meaning, but the depth of it. We see a maturity in her singing technique, and marvel at her song-writing ability. If you enjoyed this, you'd probably like music by Tori Amos, Sinead O'Connor and less well-known, Virginia Astley.

5.0 out of 5 stars A superb album - with some moving tracks, 9 Dec. 1999
D. J. Parsons (London, UK) - See all my reviews
This has to be one of the most moving and striking albums of the decade. It was cruelly overlooked in this country, because it was considered to be far too 'personal'. And while in the case of say, "Unsent" (a song comprised of letters to Alanis Morissette's old boyfriends) this may be true, listening to "That I Would Be Good" and "One" are so incredibly bold and moving that you can't help paying this album full attention.
That's not to say that all the songs are like that. Songs like "Can't Not" and "Would Not Come" are a little more like those on Jagged Little Pill. Perhaps the reason why this album was received less well than her debut is because that most songs are so different. Alanis has obviously put hard work into this album, which comprises of 17 lengthy tracks, including the single "Thank U". If you're after an offbeat but outstanding album then make it Supposed Former Infatuation Junkie. It is truly brilliant.

5.0 out of 5 stars Supposed Former Jagged Little Rug, 29 Sept. 2003
Simon Thomas "bookaholic" (Oxford/Somerset, UK) - See all my reviews
(VINE VOICE)
To think that this album was dismissed by the public! If this had been recorded by anybody but the person who had previously made the best album of all time, it would have been hailed as perfection. I cannot believe such a genuis as Alanis faded into near-obscurity.
Thank U is fantastic, but not really representative of AM's style on this album. My favourite tracks as 'That I Would Be Good' and 'Can't Not', both of which are so beautiful I could cry every time I hear them. Perhaps 17 tracks was a little too long, but there is no need to abbreviate genius!
There are a couple songs I'm not wild about, and I think a stronger tune towards the beginning of the album might have made more critics listen properly, but, all in all, this album is a MUST HAVE - if you're reading this and considering buying it but aren't sure then DO BUY IT : IT'S NOT A LOT OF MONEY AND YOU WON'T REGRET IT AT ALL!!!

5.0 out of 5 stars A Great follow up to Jagged Little Pill., 1 Oct. 2002
By A Customer
Supposed is a fantastic album which is at least as good as Jagged Little Pill. To really appreciate this album you have to listen to it a lot. Here is a short guide to some of the songs:
1.Front Row- This is a great song but it takes a while to get used to, its chorus is typical of other songs on the album.
2.Baba- This song has a fantastic rock chorus.
3.Thank U- A good song, the first single taken from the album but not the most worthy.
5.Sympathetic Character -After having the album for several months I have only just started liking this, one of the better songs.
8.Can't Not - Very good, catchy chorus, one of the best.
10.I was Hoping - My second favourite, powerful chorus, great lyrics.
11.One - Slower than the others, it's sung beautifully by Alanis.
15.Joining You - This is my favourite Alanis song, utterly brilliant. The best!!!

3.0 out of 5 stars Supposed Former Infatuation Junkie, 18 Dec. 2010
Spider Monkey (UK) - See all my reviews
(HALL OF FAME REVIEWER)    (TOP 500 REVIEWER)

This album is more introspective and inwardly focused and the music is more downbeat overall. There are few songs that leap out at you or which are immediately catchy, but if you give this a chance and play it a few times, there are a few gems nestled in here.

This was written after a trip to India and some spiritual soul searching on her behalf and songs like `Baba' mercilessly shine a spotlight on the modern infatuation with quick enlightenment and, if you listen carefully, the lyrics make you cringe with their seething tone. The effect she was going for I'm sure.

This is probably one of the more disappointing albums Alanis has produced but it is still worth spending some time with as there are some good tracks on here if you search for them. This is worth getting, but isn't the first one I'd recommend of her albums since JLP.

Feel free to check out my blog which can be found on my profile page.

5.0 out of 5 stars Outstanding sophomore effort, 21 Dec. 2011
Slurms McKenzie (The middle of England) - See all my reviews
(TOP 500 REVIEWER)
There are very few artists who trump a massive-selling, critically acclaimed debut record (hence the cliche, "second album syndrome"). Alanis was always going to find it hard to please everyone with her follow-up, but I`m totally convinced this is a stronger collection of songs. It is a deeper, more intelligent record, with less jangly, upbeat songs than "Jagged Little Pill", and far more introspective, self-analytical tracks. This might sound off-putting but Miss M. has a very enchanting sound in my opinion, and a real knack for making unattractive subjects sound very appealing.
These are the highlights, in my opinion - opener "Front Row", "Thank U", "Are You Still Mad", "That I Would Be Good", "I Was Hoping" and "Joining You". For those songs alone, this is worth every penny...great lyrics, subjects worth addressing, and there is something properly magnetic about her voice. I don`t actively dislike any of the 17 (!) tracks, and the price is right, so what`s not to like?

5.0 out of 5 stars I'm In The Front Row....., 7 Jun. 2014
Julia Havard "Heights47" (Swansea, Wales) - See all my reviews
Jagged Little Pill was ballsy, ballshy and in your face and all the brilliant for it. SFIJ is more subdued laidback and inward looking. Alanis self-reflects and reflects on all the little quirks life threw in her path after JLP. After her trip to India you can feel the spiritual nature that the album has taken it's deep and wordy and sometimes convoluted but the lyrics are full of passion and deep healing. She is talking to herself but to the listener also. Is it as instant as JLP no is it as accessible nope it absolutely takes time to grown and seep in and understand but once it does it is so worth it. This is Alanis reacting to all that happened to her and splaying her thoughts out for all to see in an even more revealing way than on JLP. This album is catharsis at it's best a full blown moment of OMG before the storm subsides and the calm resumes. A worthy misunderstood follow up but a surefire classic.

5.0 out of 5 stars Extremely recommended., 11 May 2004
I have to start this review by saying that this can be a difficult album but is Alanis' best.
After her success with "Jagged Little Pill", it would have been easy for her to create a similar album and had similar success but "Supposed Former Infatuation Junkie" is really quite different and this is obvious from the first song, "Front Row".
Along with "Are You Still Mad?" and "Sympathetic Character"is one of the songs which are harder to get into, all very good though. My least favourite song on the album is "So Pure", however this is just a case of taste and it isn't terrible.
"The Couch" is incredible, unstructured lyrics set to atmospheric drums. The lyrics on "I was Hoping" are similarly layed out but very good. "Can't Not" and "Joining You" are both also excellent. One of my favourite albums because it's emotive, extremely musically varied and is lyrically great.Recommended.

5.0 out of 5 stars Wholly different, 4 Dec. 2004
T. Williamson - See all my reviews
This is an album composed entirely from 'growers'. Every single track on this album is an instant classic, and no matter how many times you listen to this album you will get something new out of it each time.
For me, the highlights are the beautiful 'One', a very retrospective song which inspired me to listen to the rest of the album, 'Joining You', which is a wonderfully rocky song which makes me want to sit down every time I hear it, to fully appreciate it. Also fantastic is 'The Couch', a song about her father and her life. This song along with 'I Was Hoping' are plain amazing for their tunes and their random lyrics which suit the songs perfectly.
Oh, go on. Buy it. And no matter what other people may say, this is NOT a way to alienate fans. It is just a way to get true fans, because this album sees Alanis plumbing new depths. And I like it.

5.0 out of 5 stars Fantastic album - shame I didn't buy it years ago!, 17 Feb. 2008
Years ago I had Jagged Little Pill and listened to it so much I wore it out! At the time when Supposed Former Infatuation Junkie came out I, unfortunately, listened to the critics who said it wasn't as good etc... 10 years later I rediscovered Alanis and thought I'd give SFIJ a go too. I've listened to it many times now and I'm well and truly hooked.

I ask myself why I didn't buy it years ago but then I'm not sure I'd have enjoyed it as much and appreciated it's difference to JLP. It truly is a wonderful album with every song a pleasure to listen too. Yes it's not as rocky as JLP or as angry but as a previous reviewer says it's more melodic with some beautiful lyrics. I'm so pleased I have it in my collection and I'm sure I'll play it until it's worn out too...well worth the money in my opinion.

‹ Previous | 1 2 36 | Next ›

Supposed Former Infatuation Junkie (U.S. Version)
Supposed Former Infatuation Junkie (U.S. Version) by Alanis Morissette (Audio CD - 1998)