4.0 out of 5 stars DM without the B
I know that due to the "Import" status, this is rather pricey in the UK, but it is a great 2CD set.
Published on 27 Oct 2002 by Erik Callaway

3.0 out of 5 stars Good, but Live at Red Rocks is so much better!
I am a huge Dave fan, but I must admit I was a bit disappointed with this one. The quality of the recording isn't the best and the stories he tells can barely be heard. If you want a live Dave CD, I would recommend buying Live at Red Rocks instead. It has more of his most popular songs and sounds much better with the entire band playing. Sorry, Dave, this wasn't your...
Published on 4 Dec 1999

4.0 out of 5 stars DM without the B, 27 Oct 2002
This review is from: Live At Luther College (Audio CD)
This is a great record. I am not a huge DMB fan, but I love acoustic break-downs. It amazes me that there isn't a bigger market for the "unplugged" kind of stuff any more. It is wonderful in that, I think, that you get closer to the music when it is simple without a lot of distractions. You hear a lot more of what is trying to be said.
The thing I like about this record most, is the band arrangements played by the guitar. A very competent musician, Tim Reynolds was a very good compliment to Dave Matthews.
I love the versions of Ants Marching, the Christmas Song, Crash Into Me, and quite a few more. The best song, thought, is the the improv song called "Little Thing." This record is a must have for any Dave Matthews fan, but it is also great for those who are not all that in to the fiddle, and sax music that is staple in Dave Matthews Band record.
epc

5.0 out of 5 stars Lyrical music that stands out even when simplified., 2 July 2000
This review is from: Live At Luther College (Audio CD)
Are there many DMB admirers in the UK? It seems not - which is something of a mystery to me as I find Dave Matthew's songs mesmerising, especially when performing with his DMB colleagues.
The Band create interesting and and captivating rhythmns that build up to create a backcloth against which Matthews plays with his voice. So how would he fare without the backup of one of the strongest bands around?
Beautifully! This is the best "unplugged" recording I've heard - certainly since Dylan. I strongly recommend this album.
Incidentally why does the music press in the UK virtually ignore this guy?

5.0 out of 5 stars My desert island disc, 25 Jan 2009
E. McConville "Acoustophile" (Belfast, Ireland) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Live At Luther College (Audio CD)
This is the CD I'd take with me if I could have only one. It's a concert from an American College I'd never heard of. It's from years ago. It's genius. It's one of the best recordings of live music I have ever heard. I was lucky enough to see these two guys in concert twice despite living in Europe. Improve your life. Buy it. Now.

5.0 out of 5 stars Sheer Genuis, 25 Jun 2007
Mr. M. Wilson (Scotland) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Live At Luther College (Audio CD)
This album is a must for any listener who appreciates acoustic music and thought provoking lyrics. Every song is excellent and the delivery of 'Ants Marching' is simply astounding. Very recommended and I feel sorry for anyone who misses out on this performance. It quickly became one of my favourite albums and is right up there with Neil Young Unplugged!

5.0 out of 5 stars Two virtuoso's captured live, 3 April 2007
This review is from: Live At Luther College (Audio CD)
Unfortunately, you cannot capture the brilliance of Dave Matthews and Tim Reynolds live on an album. But this one comes close.

We saw this dynamic duo in Oxford England March 2007, as they played for more than three hours. Their performance live is unmatchable.

This album demonstrates yet again what an amazing songwriter, singer and acoustic guitar player Dave Matthews is...and it shows glimpses of the amazing talent that is Tim Reynolds. Dave's lyrics shine in this acoustic set more so than in DMB studio albums, as his voice becomes the third instrument in this duo. Through Dancing Nancies, #41, Dancing Nancies and Cry Freedom, Dave's songwriting expertise is more visible than with the full band. Tim Reynolds is amazing live and in person, and my one issue with this album is that his contributions aren't noticeable unless you know what you are listening for. But you can certainly hear his lead licks on #41, Dancing Nancies and Say Goodbye.

An excellent album, see them in concert if you get the chance.

5.0 out of 5 stars The Very Best of Dave & Tim, 17 Oct 2004
Jason Hart "Polymathic" (Colorado) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Live At Luther College (Audio CD)
Before hearing this CD, I was mostly unfamiliar with Dave Matthews' material. I'd heard a few songs on the radio, and seen a few videos on MTV, but I had never really gotten into it. And then one day I heard this album coming from my roommate's room. I immediately asked to borrow the CDs, and after one listen I finally understood what all the fuss was about.
I've since gotten all of the band's albums, and I love them all, but this one remains my favorite. Dave and Tim strip down each song, capturing the very essence of the original. "#41" exudes the loneliness that was only hinted at on the Crash album, and "Halloween" is pounded out with an undeniably dark passion.
And to top it all off, Tim Reynolds provides good reason to believe that he was born with a guitar in his hands. He displays his unbelievable skills with solos on "Typical Situation" and "Tripping Billies" (to name just a couple), as well as rocking the place with the awe-inspiring "Stream."
Add all of this to Dave's comments to the crowd in between songs (which really gives you a sense of being at the concert), and you've got an album that anyone interested in quality music will love.
Don't pass this up! I guarantee that it holds up after multiple listenings, and will provide you with many long hours of enjoyment.

4.0 out of 5 stars Dave Matthews and Tim Reynolds - Live at Luther College, 2 Sep 2003
This review is from: Live At Luther College (Audio CD)
This has to be one of the best acoustic albums going around in the world today. With the eccentricity of Tim's solos and the electricy of Dave's songs this album should be played over and over again.
In particular the renditions of Tripping Billies and Ants Marching are quite astounding on the ear. The speed at which the solos are played are incredible and one only has to look at the video of Dave and Tim on VHS Storytellers to see how fast Tim actually plays. With the unique voice of Dave and imagination and creativity of Tim, this makes for a superb album. For those not familiar with Dave Matthews, but enjoys acoustic music, this is an ideal place to start.

5.0 out of 5 stars Relaxing and Rocking!, 2 Feb 2000
This review is from: Live At Luther College (Audio CD)
Having read a previous review saying Live at Red Rocks is a better live album than this, that it does not have Crash Into Me on it is reason enough to go for this one. One for chilling out to, songs such as proudest monkey, tripping billies and the best version of Crash into me available, this is a perfect 'start of the weekend' album as well as a perfect 'end of weekend' one! Not well known in the UK, Dave Matthews will reach the parts few other albums ever will!

5.0 out of 5 stars Stunning live acoustic Dave Matthews classics, 3 Nov 1999
This review is from: Live At Luther College (Audio CD)
Beautiful, laid back, acoustic guitar versions of Dave Matthews Band songs. Tim Reynolds is an amazing musician - his guitar solos must be heard to be believed! Dave Matthews adds his unique voice and lyrics to complete a great live album that was recorded during a year long US tour. Here is real talent.

5.0 out of 5 stars One of the greatest guitar duos of all time, 15 Mar 2002
This review is from: Live At Luther College (Audio CD)
As a DMB fan of 6-7 years, I have most of the albums, and this is by far the most musical of the lot. Dave and Tim are just superb. True talent lies in these gentlemens' ability to play off each other, making the sound of two guitars together greater than apart. Musical brilliance for thos weary of manufactured pop trash and boybands!

Live At Luther College
Live At Luther College by Tim Reynolds (Audio CD - 2005)