5.0 out of 5 stars Some clarity
Published on 12 Oct 2006 by Mr. Paul M. Turner

3.0 out of 5 stars Good - in small doses
This album will appeal to those hankering for a return to the golden days of Brit-pop, albeit with a large dollop of post-grunge perched precariously on top. A concoction too sweet to be tasted more than once a day.
Published on 1 Nov 1999 by vince_mosdall@wmg.com

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 4 | Next ›

5.0 out of 5 stars Some clarity, 12 Oct 2006
Mr. Paul M. Turner "paulturner10" (Taunton Somerset UK) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Maybe You've Been Brainwashed Too (Audio CD)
After reading a semi negative view from Amazon I feel incensed to write some kind of defence, my first review though i listen to a lot of music.. I first heard this album when visiting the states and my brother had it, four years later i still play it, its the first album in my car CD collection, and in fact despite CD's being sold as indestructible, something we have all come to realise is a slight fabrication..!! I have problems with two of the tracks and came onto Amazon to look at purchasing a replacement.. Now, i have to say.. I have never before had to replace a CD, so I'm still not tired of these haunting melodies and the depth buried in the lyrics.. This album is probably my all time favourite album, i never tire of it.. thing is, neither does my wife, and nor do my children (15 and 13)

There's a message in every song, not always there to tell you what to do, but to tell you how frustrated or elated or a myriad of other human emotions, experienced by the writer.

Don't expect to love it from the first second, you wont hate it, some of it you wont understand, but you will grow to love it.

Paul

5.0 out of 5 stars Definetly one of the best albums in a long time., 29 Jun 2000
This review is from: Maybe You've Been Brainwashed Too (Audio CD)
This is a brilliant album, however don't buy it based on the one big hit 'U get what u give' as it is very different from the rest of the material on the album. Have a listen and you'll discover the songwriting talent of Gregg, the album is a real mix of songs which take a while to get into but once you do it's an album u won't be able to stop playing. I bought it over 6 months ago and still love it. Listen out for 'Someday we'll know' and 'Jehovah made this whoel joint for you'. It's a pity they had to split but Gregg was more keen on producing than performing (shame what a great voice!) but it's good to know that he's still writing great songs (Life is a Rollercoaster - sung by Ronan Keating). Definetly buy 'Maybe You've been Brainwashed too' it's well worth it!

5.0 out of 5 stars From the title...., 21 Oct 2012
From the title to the very last note on the album to the brim of his hat, I love this man. Simply one of the best all round albums I've come across in 40 years!

5.0 out of 5 stars got eight quid and a pulse? BUY THIS ALBUM!, 8 April 2000
This review is from: Maybe You've Been Brainwashed Too (Audio CD)
Gregg Alexander - what is he on? He writes great meoldies, lyrics as touching as any, yet he gets fed up and retires! I'm just grateful he left us a sign of his true genius in the shape of this CD. Give this CD time and it will make like athlete's foot and grow on you. It is basically great power pop music in the vein of Tal Bachman and Jellyfish but better! One of my favourite albums ever.

5.0 out of 5 stars ONE OF THE BETS ALBUMS OF THE DECADE, 14 Jan 2000
This review is from: Maybe You've Been Brainwashed Too (Audio CD)
With the 90's now only to be considered as part of history it is sadly true that shortly after this was released the band, or Gregg Alexander decided to go seperate ways. This is a fitting tribute to a the true genius of Gregg, ranging from some soul touches to a pop rock sound. Gotta Stay High is very realistic and Someday We'll Know is incredible. You Get What You Give is soooo good that even after 1000 listens it still sounds fresh. This CD is so good I may have to buy it again, as I fear mine may just get worn out

4.0 out of 5 stars A great debut cd with a surprisingly different sound, 16 Nov 1999
This review is from: Maybe You've Been Brainwashed Too (Audio CD)
I bought this after i heard "You Get What You Give" expecting more of the same, and although I did not exactly get that I was still pleased with the cd. Much of it is considerably more mellow than this song is. It really is a shame that the band disbanded before really touring or releasing any new material becasue I am quite curious as to what they would have sounded like. The lead singer (who also wrote, sang and produced the majority of this cd) is incredibly talented and I am eagerly awaiting his work in the future. Until that happens though, I will have to settle for this cd. I can't complain because it really is a good one.

5.0 out of 5 stars Aural Sunshine..., 2 Feb 2004
This review is from: Maybe You've Been Brainwashed Too (Audio CD)
This is a cracking album all the way through - You Get What You Give obviously stands out as a seminal feel good 'anthem'- but the remaining material is also exceptionally strong, catchy, inspirational and universally well-produced. Gregg doesn't do himself any favours by leading in on tracks such as 'Mother...' and 'Ihope...' with some wilfully obscure vocals but the overall effect is still beguiling. 'Someday we'll know' is an execptionally moving and wistful ballad - why on earth Mr Alexander is wasting his time producing lightweights like Ronan Keating rather than making another album like this one I'll never know - Go on Gregg let's have another - and in the meantime why not buy this one?

5.0 out of 5 stars Most fantastic album ever to be made, 18 Mar 2004
This review is from: Maybe You've Been Brainwashed Too (Audio CD)
this truly is the best album in the world. it is tragic that alexander will never do another one and is only doing stuff for ronan keating now but then you could never ever beat this.

i have driven everyone mad playing it, my husband loves it too, and its always the first cd i grab for whatever mood i'm in. Makes you happy and want to jump about, makes you sad and want to cry.

it is fantastic, words escape me....

5.0 out of 5 stars Fabulous, 15 April 2014
BeeKeeper (East Anglia, UK) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Maybe You've Been Brainwashed Too (Audio CD)
This album has been in my car cd changer for 14 years. Can't take it out. It's a fabulous album. Always brings a smile. You can hear who have been Gregg's influences - The Stones, The Doors, Lou Reed, Primal Scream ……...

5.0 out of 5 stars Forgotten how good this was., 28 Sep 2013
This review is from: Maybe You've Been Brainwashed Too (Audio CD)
Bought this on line after realising that I had lost my original copy that I bought when it was first released. Still sounds great. A great cd to have in the car.

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 4 | Next ›

Maybe You've Been Brainwashed Too
Maybe You've Been Brainwashed Too by New Radicals (Audio CD - 2001)