Shop now Shop now Shop now Shop All Amazon Fashion Cloud Drive Photos Shop now Learn More Shop now DIYED Shop now Shop Fire Shop Kindle Listen in Prime Shop now Shop now

Format: Audio CD|Change

on 22 July 2007
The combination of these 2 albums by the fabulous Ramsey Lewis Trio is perfect as each album compliments the other wonderfully.
Both albums are of 1960's vintage and the sound is superb. "Hang On Ramsey" is a live jazz club recording and although in other reviews I have strongly expressed my aversion to "live audience" recordings, I have to admit that the intimacy of this venue and the live audience add another dimension to the atmosphere of this CD. There is a "let's all have a good time" feel to the recording and the musicians sound to have been inspired by the presence of an appreciative audience who incidentally are merely in the background and do not in any way distract the listener from the enjoyment of the fine performances of the players.
The music is funky and swingin' and is typical fare from the era of Rock and Soul!

The second album on the CD is a classic and is in a similar style although this time there is a cracking big band conducted by American arranger Richard Evans,a very talented black American musician with a great feeling for the blues and soul music in particular.
The opening track on this album is a gem - "Wade In The Water" although credited to Ramsey Lewis on the album is in fact a traditional song with it's roots steeped in black American culture. The great jazz saxophonist Johnny Griffin had modest success with this song also in the 1960's.
There are a number of contributions ala the Beatles from both albums and to my ears each track is just as outstanding as another but I have to admit that my favourite is "Wade In The Water". This track is unbelievably funky and full of soul.
For jazz - funk - soul - be-bop, Ramsey comes out tops every time.
If your spirit needs a lift just pop this CD into your player and enjoy the sounds of 1960's pop-jazz from the great Ramsey Lewis Trio.
I hope my review is of some use to you so thank you for reading and enjoy the music!
44 comments|10 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on 10 March 2008
Having been reminded of Ramsey Lewis courstesy of the Jazz station on DAB, Mr Eccles's review of this double album set persuaded me to purchase a copy. Having now had the pleasure to listen to the CD I must thanks Mr Eccles for his review and add my wholehearted recommendation for any prospective purchaser. Excellent easy listening!
on 22 June 2011
First album is mainly old fashioned tracks songs mainly done before and therefor not as exclusive as some of Ramsey Lewis' music I have heard - although worth a listen it is live. Second album 'wade in the water' more modern studio album but I have to say that the material is not as good as some of Ramsey Lewis' later material all in all worth buying if you like Ramseys music but not as outstanding as his later material.
on 26 June 2010
im afraid i can only comment on one of the cds in this set but i just had to back up the other endorsements of this particular album,"wade in the water".I have the original album on vinyl (yep really)and is one of my all time treasures.not a dud track on it and is still good the title track still able to get people up and off their seats.highly recommended
on 21 December 2014
I really just wanted Wade in the Water, to spirit me back to my youth, but could only get if I bought both albums together and was disappointed that the two were strung together on one CD. I find the backing instruments seem to dominate the overall sound, maybe this was always the case?
on 17 June 2013
Love it. Ramsey Lewis at his best.If you like Ramsey Lewis you'll love this. Definitely recomend this to everyone. Great
on 19 May 2015