5.0 out of 5 stars A Fan Again.
Mike Oldfield has had a strange career. I've never been quite sure whether I like him a lot, a bit, or not a jot! That's not to say that the original Tubular Bells wasn't a work of genius, because it was, and hearing it now is still an experience after thirty years. It's his other stuff I find difficult to get excited about.
I always felt that Tubular bells as a...
Published on 15 May 2004 by Romac

2.0 out of 5 stars Tubular bells
No where near as good as the other two albums, more like an extension rather than original material. Still acceptable though especially if your a fan.
Published on 15 Dec 2012 by Lee Norman

5.0 out of 5 stars A Fan Again., 15 May 2004
This review is from: Tubular Bells III (Audio CD)
I always felt that Tubular bells as a work was capable of evolution over the years, and was delighted when news broke that TB 2 was coming out. What a let down! Yeah, it had it's moments, and on reflection it's okay, but Mike Oldfield has put everything right with the release of Tubular Bells 3. This is a gem. It's got the lot. It's fresh and up to date with all the references to the original you will need. (Even the bagpipe sounding guitars!!) With the inclusion of modern club beats you can feel the Ibiza influence, (it was recorded there), it still manages to retain Mike's trademark punchy guitar work and flowing piano etc. This has hardly been off my deck, and I've found it perfect for the walkman too on the sunny days laying in my garden!
If you like Mike Oldfield (even just a little), buy this. It may restore your faith in the fact that there are still "real" musicians out there in these dark days of manufactured dross. Great stuff.

5.0 out of 5 stars The best Mike Oldfield ever, 10 Mar 2001
This review is from: Tubular Bells III (Audio CD)
Having heard Tubular Bells 1, I thought it was the best. Tubular Bells 2 was a disappointment - but Tubular Bells 3 confirms Mike Oldfield as one of the leading instrumentalists ever. If you only own one Mike Oldfield album, this is the one.
The album contains everything - from the pop-sounding 'Man in the Rain' to the exotic 'Serpent Dream'. There is even a hint of the Irish in 'Top of the Morning' - a personal favourite of mine. However, the whole of the album is brough together by the child's voice in the final track - which leads to a wonderful track with the (inevitable) tubular bells - my only advice is to make sure the neighbours are out and turn it up LOUD!
All in all - a wonderful album.

5.0 out of 5 stars Stop the slagging now!, 9 Nov 1999
This review is from: Tubular Bells III (Audio CD)
I'm 19, and being born into a Mike Oldfield loving family, had his music ringing in my ears from a very early age! Dad bought this last year and I teased him, slagging off the album before I'd heard it, convinced in would be 'sad'! I then had to embarrassingly admit I was wrong (I don't do this easily!!) whilst my parents where banging my door down trying to get their CD back! Doh! Man in the Moon has just a tad of Moonlight Shadow, enough to make your ears tingle and recall, but intelligently innovative to enjoy a brand new song. Yes....alright, alright, I love it, I promise I'll get my own copy.....soon!

5.0 out of 5 stars A mixture of music, 5 Mar 2002
This review is from: Tubular Bells III (Audio CD)
Another of Mike Oldfield's amazing album mixed with tubular bells, guitars, pianos and vocals makes it a great album to relax to.
I especially like Man in the Rain which has a special meaning to me as a person.
A great album a must in everyones collection. It is an album that all ages should lidten to and appreciate.

5.0 out of 5 stars A great album!, 29 Oct 2007
This review is from: Tubular Bells III (Audio CD)
A superb piece of work from Mr Oldfield that outstrips the original. The whole compilation builds to a climax with the last track where the tubular bells finally make an appearance. It's well worth the wait, because when they do, the piece reaches a spectacular finale. Best played at high volume on a really good hi-fi system with decent woofers so you can get some real resonance out of the bells.

5.0 out of 5 stars Simply great - what more needs to be said?, 7 Nov 1999
This review is from: Tubular Bells III (Audio CD)
I've been a Mike Oldfield fan since the original Tubular Bells, and he hasn't yet produced anything I haven't liked or that I have found disappointing. Over the years he has produced some remarkable albums, experimented with different techniques and sounds, yet at the same time produced a sound that is almost instantly recognisable as his. I haven't listened to "Guitars" yet (so apologies to those who think it's better than TB3), but I think it's fair to say TB3 is his best yet - and TB2 was a hard act to follow! It has a strong, powerful, flowing thread throughout the album, culminating in a very powerful and almost emotional climax (the sound of the tubular bells made the hairs on the back of my neck stand on end). Some criticism has been levelled at Mike for simply calling the album "Tubular Bells 3", but what's in a name? It's the music that is the important part, and listening to this album you can almost feel the creative energy that went into its production. My advice: if you never buy another Mike Oldfield album, buy this one!

5.0 out of 5 stars If you don't want to be addicted.....don't take this drug!, 5 Nov 2004
A. Forrest "rooster769" (Midland UK) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Tubular Bells III (Audio CD)
I defy anybody who can TRULY appreciate Mike's work not to listen to this stunning ablbum and not feel any emotion or energy boiling inside them. Have this at nearly full chat in the car or at home when you have nothing to do but concentrate totally on the wonderful variety of instruments (and synthesisers) that Oldfield employs in TBIII and you will be left wanting for more. One of the only remedies to the build up to the frankly mind blowing ending just has to be either another complete listen or a good bout of "Songs of Distant Earth", one of Mike's more recent but best albums ever! As one other reviewer said: If you only buy one of Mike's pieces, buy this one.

5.0 out of 5 stars Tubular Bells Vol.3, 16 April 2011
This review is from: Tubular Bells III (Audio CD)
Absolutely superb!I was concerned when I read a very negative review on Amazon,but I should not have been concerned.A classic Oldfield album,with the usual great tunes,fine giutarwork etc and even some fine songs.

5.0 out of 5 stars Oldfield is back !!!!!, 31 Dec 2010
Lucioperca (Norwich, England) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Tubular Bells III (Audio CD)
As disappointed as I was with Tubular Bells II .... I was still sucker enough to buy this third incarnation and I am really pleased I did. This album is everything that the second isn't. Its fresh, its different and its like a natural evolution of the Tubular Bells theme-line. I would go as far as to say this is possibly my favourite of the three albums. MIke uses vocals on some of these tracks and it just adds to the depth and richness of the new sound Mike has used on this particular album. If you really want to introduce someone to Mike Oldfield, this album and Discovery are probably good ones to recommend them to hear.

5.0 out of 5 stars His best yet, 23 May 2000
This review is from: Tubular Bells III (Audio CD)
This album is very atmostpheric, with an almost addictive quality to the music, the sort that you can listen to over and over again without ever getting bored of it.

Tubular Bells III
Tubular Bells III by Mike Oldfield (Audio CD - 1998)