Format: Audio CD|Change

Why 'Stigma' wasn't a massive album still puzzles me now. Firstly it's miles better than Schubert Dip and secondly it is one of the most frenetic and involving rock albums ever made. If you think that is an exaggeration pick up a copy and give it a listen. Full on assault.
From the opening salvo of 'They're Here' this album just doesn't let up with slab after slab of fantastic invention. Wonderful driving music and really showed how good EMF were. Shame they got caught up in the trap of being labelled one trick ponies because of 'Unbelievable'. Absolute travesty.
on 3 February 2007
Although I was about 14 or 15 when this came out, i was already a bit of a music snob, and had veered against unbelievable because it had done my head in during the radio overkill when that single came out. My dad got me this for christmas. Some stocking filler! Flash forward to now and some of my mates (also a mite picky about their music) slag me off something rotten when i tell them this is a great album, their only grasp of EMF being Schubert Dip. It's a shame - this probably happened a lot around Stigma's release, hence the plane crashing into the mountain sales-wise. One of the singles from this album harboured on its B-side an inexplicably great cover of the Stooges' Search & Destroy. That says more to me about where EMF were coming from/going than a pile of folk slagging them off who've still never listened to this amazing second album.
on 2 November 2007
Seriously, it's that good. There is so much going on in all the songs - some of the best arrangements I've ever heard; the best (still) mixing of sequenced tracks and live drumming and guitars. So so so much better than Schubert Dip - I don't get why it wasn't huge - even Q gave it a great review. Buy it, you need it.
on 17 July 2009
Its true that EMF are best remembered for Schubert's Dip, but this album towers above that little pop album. I dig it out every year or so expecting it to have aged but it still sounds mysterious, modern. If you think of EMF as a fun pop band this deserves a listen, you might be missing out on one of the most under-rated albums of the era.
on 31 December 2012
Amazing album with some really catchy tunes, would definitely recommend it. I bought this album when it was first released on tape in the early 90's and have recently purchased it again on CD so that I can listen to it again
on 8 July 2011
I've been a fan since I gave the EMF boys lifts around Cinderford and still love this. She Bleeds is my favourite track and makes my Top 25 most listened to tracks at the mo.
on 21 June 2013
I've been a big fan since 1990, needed a new copy as mine was a bit scratched. Sounds as good today as it did 23 years ago.