Format: Audio CD|Change
Price:£6.06+ £1.26 shipping

on 25 July 2004
Any CD which features Marta Sebestyen singing first, shows exceptional good taste, but when she sings in Bulgarian, well it is really dynamite!!! Despite being Hungarian, she sings "Devoiko Mome" like a native. This CD is jam-packed with the finest and best music from the Balkans. It is sung by the brightest and most talented singers in the region. The diverse regional styles & variety of instruments attests to the fact, the "Rough Guide" producers know what they are doing! I have never met a "Rough Guide" CD yet ... that I did not love!
This CD has everything: the brass band music of Kocani Orkestar (Macedonia), the cimbalom playing of Kalman Balogh (Hungary)(although it is a Romanian piece he is playing), the beautiful and mysterious voices of a Bulgarian Women's Choir, a Daichovo Oro played by a folk orchestra, Bulgarian wedding music by the master, Ivo Papasov, and last, but not least, my favorite, "The Mountain Pacular" played by Zsaratnok & the ever-talented Nikola Parov. The clarinet improvisations on this track are incredible. Track # 8 amazes me, because although a Polish band, the violin playing is definitely in the Hungarian style, which leads me to believe there was a lot of sharing of music across the borders. This CD is a gem beyond description - dont' pass it up! Erika Borsos (bakonyvilla)
on 18 December 2000
This CD is, on the whole, excellent. My one reservation is the five minutes or so, devoted to some Eastern Brass Band - not my cup of tea I'm afraid, although my wife loves this as well.
The rest of it is top notch stuff indeed. There is a variety of styles from the wonderfully rousing Apparatschik to the extraordinary voice of Ivo Papsov. Old favourites such as the Trio Bulgarka and the Mystery of the Bulgarian Voice Choir are featured are as excellent as ever.
In short, if you are partial to a bit of Eastern European Folk or are a bit curious, buy it. Some wonderful voices and some good old fashioned thrash-folk.