5.0 out of 5 stars Rosemary Lane: Bert Jansch - A dream, a dream, a dream of a record, 16 Mar. 2012
Victor (Hull, England) - See all my reviews
(HALL OF FAME REVIEWER)    (TOP 100 REVIEWER)
This review is from: Rosemary Lane (Audio CD)
It is perhaps surprising that I have only recently started listening to Bert Jansch's solo work. I have long been a devotee of Pentangle and John Renbourne, as well as artists such as Dylan, Fairport Convention and the like. But up until now I have never really dipped my toe into the world of Jansch. And now that I have I regret that I have spent so long without this sublime music in my life.

Rosemary Lane is a traditionalish folky album, released in 1971 just at the end of Jansch's time with the original Pentangle line up. While in some respects stylistically similar to what he was doing with the group at the time, it is very definitely a solo album and has his own distinctive persona running right through it. Stylistically it is rooted in folk, but as with so many of the artists of the time Jansch uses a much wider musical palette, introducing elements of jazz, blues and a tinge of rock.

Jansch is lauded as a master technician on the guitar, and he really shows why here. Playing with a depth of skill that is breathtaking, he delivers vivid emotional imagery just with a few plucks of a guitar string. But at the same time he is singing, and the melding of voice and guitar, the balance between the two is just perfect. He delivers ballads and love songs with real grace and clarity. Contained herein is Reynardine, a classic from Fairport Convention's Leige and Leaf, but here Jansch does so much more with it, accentuating the lyric with his beautiful guitar work and delivering a version that I would suggest is even better than the sublime Sandy Denny rendition.

This is what music should be. It enters the soul and lodges there, driving feelings and emotions and evoking real passion. I just love this record and am looking forward to hearing more from Jansch's back catalogue.

4.0 out of 5 stars Bert's back catalogue, 22 July 2014
Geoffrey R. Wilson "# 1 owl" (Wiltshire UK) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Rosemary Lane (Audio CD)
Trying to fill my Jansch back catalogue and I hadn't heard this album before it arrived. Usual Bert quality but not his absolute best.

Rosemary Lane
Rosemary Lane by Bert Jansch (Audio CD - 2001)