on 7 September 2000
This is soul at it's best - heartfelt, emotional and uplifting. This is more upbeat than a lot of the early motown tracks and the focus of the music draws much from the Detroit scene in the '60s. A lot of time and energy has obviously went into a detailed selection.
My favourite tracks are Gene Chandler's "Nothing can stop me" and The Ivory's "Please stay". Gene Chandler's lyrics accompanied by the sadness expressed through the brass section is simply inspirational. Gene Chandler epitomises the true essence of soul. Thankfully, the majority of the tracks on this compliation that follow Chandler's track are of the same mould.
As for all you dancers out there - there are plenty of tracks that will get you moving. Check out "Touch me kiss me hold me" by The Inspirations.
This is an excellent, well rounded CD for soul fans new or old. I can't recommend it highly enough.
on 3 March 2009
Don't be put off by the punning title of this compilation. None of the artists are playing it cool - some are absolutely on fire. The better known artists on this CD (Gladys Knight, Ohio Players, Ann Sexton) are as soulful as you'd expect. But my favourites were the slightly introspective or unusual tracks.

None better than the opener 'Lonely for You Baby' by Sam Dees. A great bass intro builds the tension until the vocal and horns burst into life. It packs a punch and then fades out all too soon. 'I Hurt on the Other Side' by Sidney Barnes also goes from melancholy to anguish. Not quite Smokey Robinson but good nonetheless.

In total contrast, I also like the cute intrumental by Van McCoy 'Sweet and Easy'. There are 30 tracks so the pace varies in the middle and a little fatigue may set in. But there's a strong finish to the album with the two mini-epics 'I'm Stepping Out of the Picture' and 'Long After Tonight is All Over'. Both are slower songs but still full of drama. Overall this is a pretty satisfying slice of soul.
on 14 September 2014
Another excellent Northern Soul album to add to my collection. My wife and I enjoyed jigging about to the songs as we were listening.
on 19 August 2015
bought this for a few tracks i didn't know and a few standards i didn't have. a good addition to my collection
on 30 April 2015
Fantastic album...bought a copy for both me and my sister! :-)
on 20 November 2014
This is a very good mix with some slow easy numbers as well
on 25 October 2014
A brilliant record for all lovers of Northern soul.
on 22 June 2016
Good mix of toons! You don't have to be a northern soul 'expert' to enjoy compilation
on 26 July 2015
Fantastic cd a must for all northern soul fans.
on 28 August 2015