4.0 out of 5 stars Sweeping Instrumentals and Gothic Growls
Having come to Within Temptation via `The Silent Force' I realised this, as their first album, was going to be a wholly different kettle of fish. And it is, but in a good way.
Published on 20 Oct. 2007 by Peacock Wings

2.0 out of 5 stars Disappointing
Having listenend to and thoroughly enjoyed Within Temptations more recent albums, I can only say that this one was a big disappointment.

If you are coming at it from a more main stream audience, I would strongly recommend previewing the tracks in advance.

Published on 14 Oct. 2009 by David

4.0 out of 5 stars Sweeping Instrumentals and Gothic Growls, 20 Oct. 2007
This review is from: Enter (Audio CD)
Basically, the music is more lengthy, more winding, almost like a narrative and less governed by a strict verse/chorus structure of the songs. In most songs a bright array of synthesizer-strings, sometimes dreamy, sometimes more hectic, is punctuated by heavy, slow, throbbing guitars and drums - the rhythm is uniformly slowly beating, pulsating.
On this album there is still a lot of gothic growling, a trait WT dropped on the more commercially successful later albums, which I find creates a good tension and contrast to Sharon den Adel's clear and soaring voice.
This is not the WT of `Silent Force' or `The Heart of Everything' and it is quite a way away to `Mother Earth' too, but it is unmistakably Within Temptation - more direct, more earthy, more original - the roots so to speak.

5.0 out of 5 stars Incredible and Very Unique!, 6 April 2008
This review is from: Enter (Audio CD)
I have searched for many good symphonic, and gothic metal bands, but have never found one better than Within Temptation.

This being their first and most original album. 'Tis a shame, as some have stated, that WT decided to can the death growls, but they are extremely common among goth metal music. In fact, they don't even need to use them. And the last thing WT is that they are commercialised.

This album has some very unique songs, each with a very different mood and emotion to it. Say, Pearls of Light is a blissful song. And Deep Within on the other hand is aggressive and angry but also calm in it's pulse. I would definitely recommend this!

5.0 out of 5 stars Pearl Of Light, 8 July 2007
This review is from: Enter (Audio CD)
Wow. No word can describe this album better than that single word, wow. Or sensomenal, my favorite fictional word. This is Within Temptation's best album. Around the same league as Mother Earth, a little better than The Silent Force and A LOT better than The Heart Of Everything. Every song on this album is beautifully written and sang. Sharon Den Adel's beautiful, angelic voice and Robert's (I think that's his name) gruff death growls are unlikly partners in crime on this album. I miss the death growls and the gothic doom theme in the other albums. I miss the forbiddon love and bad blood. I miss how beautiful the instruments were played. I miss the old WT...

4.0 out of 5 stars Wonderful!, 24 Sept. 2004
This review is from: Enter (+Bonus) (Audio CD)
Having listened to Within Temptation's Mother Earth album before this, I though I knew their style and what they played. But I must say I was quite astonished by this album. It has a much darker sound compared to Mother Earth. They still continue on using major scales from time to time but still they managed to get a more "goth" sound with this album. The album starts with the song Restless which starts with a beautiful piano sound. The scales changes from minor to major and major to minor from time to time which gives the music colour. Once again I was filled with admiration of the soprano's voice. It is high pitched yet still clear and flowing. This forms contrast with the male vocalist's low grunts. Also the guitar riffs and drum beats are well organised and very nice indeed. Moreover the lyrics are beautiful and harmonious with the music. However, some songs tend to get a bit monotonous. Still, great album worth listenining to!

5.0 out of 5 stars If I could give this CD six stars, I would., 10 May 2014
This review is from: Enter (Audio CD)
Within Temptation are without a doubt my favourite band in the entire world. However, this, their first album, is so different from their other music that if I had heard a single track off this album without knowing what it was, I likely would have recognised the unmistakable angelic vocals of Sharon den Adel, but would probably think the track a collaboration with a completely different band. Though the songs on this album share very little in common with what made me fall in love with the band when I first discovered them a couple of years ago, it has gradually and convincingly made its way to become possibly my favourite album of all time (perhaps a tight competition with Time I by Wintersun). Though certainly far more gothic than any other music I listen to (mostly folk metal and symphonic metal), the combination of Sharon den Adel's vocals and Robert Westerholt's raspy death-growls on this album is something I miss hugely off their others (fortunately some growls were included on the latest album, Hydra), and the songs on this album seem to inspire images and emotions no other music I have ever heard seems to capture just as well. Unfortunately, the band hardly ever plays any tracks from this album now, except for at special events or filmed concerts, and some tracks seem to have been played maybe once in the band's history. The stand out tracks include the pinnacle of gothic-doom, 'Enter,' the slow but powerful epic 'Pearls of Light,' and (in my opinion) the greatest song of all time, 'Candles,' and if you are a fan of Within Temptation or any style of metal or gothic rock music, buy this album while you still can!

5.0 out of 5 stars The best album they made., 8 Feb. 2014
This review is from: Enter (Audio CD)
This is the sound of Within Temptation before they went commercial as hell. It is much more melodic and instrumental than their other albums, besides Mother Earth that is, somehow, similar. Do not get me wrong, I still like the band very much, but I think that they have fallen under the influence of Evanescence and some other groups to gain popularity and I do not like it. Give it a try before buying, try to listen to some of the sounds. If you are a fan of the Within Temptation of the last years you could easily dislike this CD.

5.0 out of 5 stars Five Stars, 20 Oct. 2014
Very good

2.0 out of 5 stars Disappointing, 14 Oct. 2009
This review is from: Enter (Audio CD)

Other reviewers have rated this CD highly, so I am sure there is a market for it ,but it may not be for their entire fan base..

Personally, it completes the set and gives me an idea of how far they have come, but it will likely just sit on the shelf.

Enter
Enter by Within Temptation (Audio CD - 2005)