5.0 out of 5 stars A late sixties classic
This is one of the classic sixties samplers, with tracks less well known than many but cool sounds that really characterise the era.
Published on 11 July 2002

1.0 out of 5 stars CD on Wish List - Rock Machine Turns You On
I remove this Cd from my wishlist as 44+ is extortionate ! I have it on vinyl so will stick to that for now
Published 24 months ago by L. M. Galbraith

5.0 out of 5 stars A late sixties classic, 11 July 2002
By A Customer
This review is from: Rock Machine Turns You on (Audio CD)
So many people must have had their first contact with the alternative sixties through this album. Dylan, Cohen and the unforgettable Roy Harper feeling 'no cleaner than a chinese wrestlers jock strap cooked in chip fat on a greasy day'. Didn't we all feel like that?
This is uncompromising alternative stuff - no semi-pop chart material with a hint of alternative thrown in (Flowerpot men style). This stuff made the sixties what it was.
Authentic.

5.0 out of 5 stars Amazon! Your mission ......, 14 Jan 2008
Bob Owen "v1rto" (Welwyn Herts, UK) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Rock Machine Turns You on (Audio CD)
Amazon! Your mission is to lean on CBS to get this re-released as a CD as soon as possible. You can see from the reviews that there is an immediate market of at least 3 and possibly a few more, so what's holding you up?

And CBS - there are thousands of us baby boomers with old scratchy copies of the LP (some of us still even have record players as well!) and while I can make an MP3 of it to put on my media streamer it will probably not sound anywhere near as good as the CD that you re-release. Most of the disposable money in the country is in our hands so please give it some thought and preferably some action.

Same please for Groov'y Baby -UK Direction-Various Artists Album 8-63452

Counting the days!

5.0 out of 5 stars The classic mid-sixties sampler, 29 Oct 2006
Robert Bennett "Rob Bennett" (Rugby, England) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Rock Machine Turns You on (Audio CD)
My favourite album of all time. Bought in vinyl when first released but reluctantly sold some ten years ago during hard times. Would love it to be re-released on CD along with its follow up. CBS had the best of the crop in their stable at the time from the emerging Jazz-Rock of Blood Sweat & Tears and Chicago Transit Authority (later Chicago) to Electric Flag, Taj Mahal, The Byrds and Bob Dylan. A true classic

5.0 out of 5 stars The Rock Machine Turns you on, 18 Sep 2010
This review is from: Rock Machine Turns You on (Audio CD)
Both these LPs were bought for me back in 1968 by my new girlfriend at the time(now the wife)on a trip to the Smoke. As I still have a proper record player these and many others come out quite regularly for their customary airing 2 or 3 times a year. I must admit that I liked all the tracks right from the start unlike some LPs where you get to like some tracks over time. I have to blame the album The Rock Machine Turns You On for making me a fan of Blood, Sweat & Tears and Taj Mahal, but my favourite track out of both albums is Flames/Elmer Gantry's Velvet Opera. We can only hope that somebody in authority sees sense and gets round to issuing a CD some time in the not too distant future.

4.0 out of 5 stars a not quite perfect re-creation of the 1968 album, 13 Mar 2009
Philip A.Cohen (Bay Harbor Islands, Florida United States) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Rock Machine Turns You on (Audio CD)
Sony's now-deleted CD of this classic 1968 sampler album doesn't quite get things right. First, some arcane licensing restriction forces Sony to omit Simon & Garfunkel's "Scarborough Fair", and then the compiler of this CD inexplicably dubs "I Won't Leave My Wooden Wife For You Sugar"(by the short lived "United States of America") from a scratchy old record, despite the fact that the group's lone album has appeared on CD several times, derived from the original master tapes(most recently on the Sundazed label).

My guess, is what forced the deletion of Sony's CD, is that someone informed Sony Music that the tracks by Elmer Gantry's Velvet Opera, Roy Harper & The Zombies weren't Sony-owned. They were licensed recordings...on which Sony Music's license had expired decades ago. Sony apparently decided that it wasn't worth the hassle(and considerable expense) to get this disc back into print.

I bought Sony's CD, then, using my own CD recorder, made my own corrected disc that conforms to the contents of the original 1968 L.P. and takes all the selections from full-fidelity sources.

This doesn't change the fact that "The Rock Machine Turns You On" was one of the greatest UK sampler L.P.'s of its' era, certainly up there with Island Records' "Bumpers" & EMI/Harvest's "Picnic:A Breath of Fresh Air".

5.0 out of 5 stars Please release this as a CD, 9 Mar 2008
This review is from: Rock Machine Turns You on (Audio CD)
I have my prized vinyl copy from the late '60's but would love to get my hands on a CD - it was the best record then and I mourn that I cannot play it anymore. Such an eclectic mix of tracks. Such memories!!!!

5.0 out of 5 stars Rock Machine., 17 April 2012
This review is from: Rock Machine Turns You on (Audio CD)
My original was lost or stolen in the 60's. Periodic feelings of regret.

Please re-issue on CD. There will be thousands out there wishing to purchase in order to make their retirement more pleasurable!

Result, happy pensioners who will influence their grandchildren in regard to musical taste. Even more sales.

DB

5.0 out of 5 stars This was probably biggest musical influence on me in my teens, 14 Dec 2011
T. Aiston "ageinghippy" (Cumbria, UK) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Rock Machine Turns You on (Audio CD)
Having been brought up on an almost exclusive diet of the Beatles (no bad thing) this album (possibly along with Search of the Lost Chord, Moody Blues and Disraly Gears, Cream) really 'turned me on' to a much wider range of music and I often talk about it with freinds.

Having given up getting an acutaul copy of it on CD, I've put together my own copy using a combination of downloads and rips. And so sad am I I've even put them on to a vinyl looking CD in card wallet with a copy of the original LP on it.

Why go to all this trouble, well this album quite literaly changed my musical life.

WHy CBS down't put this together preferably, as a physical CD or even for downlaod is totally beyond me

An ageing hippy!

5.0 out of 5 stars Please issue the original, 23 July 2009
This review is from: Rock Machine Turns You on (Audio CD)
Strange to review a CD that isn't there and if it was seems to be without one of the highlights Simon & Garfunkel's anthem from The Graduate (not Mrs. Robinson). Listening to the LP 40 years back was like listening to a new Beatles album with the Dylan track from John Wesley Harding the only song known beforehand. You might call it "Discovering The New America". Nostalgia being what it is you've got to have the whole LP with all the tracks in original sequence to recapture the peaceful and unique elation felt by youth mistakenly thinking the world will remain free and open for decades. Well, they tore down The Wall but that won't make it. The music's the main reason, of course.

5.0 out of 5 stars Rock Machine Albums, 15 Nov 2008
Robert Lewis "Rob Lewis" (Skelmersdale, Lancashire) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Rock Machine Turns You on (Audio CD)
'The Rock Machine Turns You On' is a superb 'underground'album from a time when CBS had much that was excellent. I am fortunate to have a 'best of' released on CD (Castle Communications)but would dearly love the original album and the follow up double - 'Fill Your Head With Rock' to be released on CD. Come on Amazon - use your influence on CBS! There must be many thousands of rock / folk / alternative fans of my age who would love to own these albums in a playable format.

Rob Lewis

ARRAY(0xa5d33948)

Rock Machine Turns You on
Rock Machine Turns You on by Various (Audio CD - 1996)
Click for more info