Format: Audio CD|Change

VINE VOICEon 2 July 2003
I've heard almost everything the Goo Goo Dolls have ever made. It all started years ago, with this very album, and the fact that my brother always played it loud enough for me to hear it through his bedroom wall. I entered the world of rock music through this album, and it remains one of my favourites of all time.
I would certainly argue that this is the Goo Goo Dolls' best album. Some (like my brother) favour their earlier style, but the more stylish, smoothed-out tunes of this album suit me down to the ground. The likes of 'January Friend' are great for bashing out in the car on an open road; 'Broadway' is mellower and just really cool (cliched word but so true); 'Iris' is quite simply one of the best songs ever written; we also have a gorgeous little acoustic, aptly named 'Acoustic #5'; and I can't help jumping around to the *anthem* 'Slide'.
Most CDs have at least one track you habitually skip past. 'Dizzy Up the Girl' has no such track. Every single song on this album is just brilliant, without reverting to the 'make every track the same so you'll like them all' mindset that so many modern artists seem to favour.
Get this CD- it's simply masterful.
on 3 May 2005
I was first introduced to the Goo Goo Dolls about five years ago when a friend was playing probably their most well known track, Iris, in his car. Not long after I heard Name and loved this as well. More recently I downloaded some more tracks from the Dizzy Up the Girl album - Slide and Black Balloon, and I was pretty impressed.
I finally got round to buying the album last week, around five years after I first heard Iris and I wish I'd bought it sooner! It is really enjoyable stuff - very melodic, light-hearted rock that is really easy to listen to. Most of the albums I bought recently took a while to get into but this one appeals immediately. This is among the best US indie-rock type albums I have heard - I also own All The Pain Money Can Buy by Fastball, and Third Eye Blind by Third Eye Blind but I like this album much more.
Whilst all the tracks on Dizzy are good, my favourites are Slide, Black Balloon, Broadway, and Amigone. Iris is also great but when you listen to the album a few times you realise that it's probably a little overrated - I think I've heard it a few times too many now! I think Amigone is my favourite track - it is so catchy and is one of those tunes that just sticks in your head. This album has definitely sparked my interest in the Goo Goo Dolls - I think I will get Gutterflower or Superstar Carwash next.
on 21 November 1999
Having heard the bands hit single IRIS, which is an amazing track and arguably the best on the album, I decided to buy Dizzy Up the Girl. With most albums you get a few decent tunes and then the rest of the album is made up of mediocre tracks just to fill the cd with, this album however is very different. My favourite songs would be Slide, Name (bonus track), Black Balloon and Iris but there isn't one bad song on the whole album and that is due to the obvious immense talent of the band. In the UK they are pretty well unknwown but if they keep producing this kind of music I think that will soon change. A truly remarkable album.
on 25 January 2007
This album is simply beautiful.

While everyone raves about Iris following the Ronan Keating cover, I'd like to mention some of the less known songs from this CD such as Slide, and All Eyes On Me. The latter in particular is worth note as it somehow manages to be melancholy and upbeat all at once. My favourtie song on this Album (and possibly at all) is Black Balloon. I was lucky enough to see it performed live in Cambridge on the Let Love In tour and was blown away by just how moving it is.

This album is possibly the best CD you'll ever buy. I know it IS the best in my collection.
on 23 September 2005
Having been introduced to the Goo Goo Dolls over ten years ago I have had some time to grow to love them, but the fact of the matter is it really isn't needed.
Dizzy Up The Girl is perhaps the most mainstream of their albums, with many well polished songs, verging closer to pop than their previous recordings. That said it is in no way a disappointment.
To those who have enjoyed this album, I strongly recommend "A Boy Named Goo" as your next purchase over any other album.
on 19 January 2005
What can be said that hasnt already been said about this masterpiece in Music? The only thing I think that I need to add, is everyone I have played the Goo Goo Dolls to has gone on to buy this album and then Gutterflower. It is quite simply the best album I have ever heard, and you cant get bored of it. I know when you look at reviews on Amazon most people say they like the product, but with Dizzy Up The Girl, you are getting the real deal.
Trust me, everyone will love this, from radio listeners, to the people prefering less well known rock bands. It gets better the more you listen as well, it is quite simply phenomenal!
Cant wait for a new album, and a tour!
PS: To be a bit different Dizzy is my favourite song, but you cant skip tracks on this album.
VINE VOICEon 6 January 2005
I bought this album after only hearing 3-4 of the songs on it, all of which were really something. John Rzeznik really puts something special into this album, even more than the other albums which are truly amazing. People say Iris is the best song, but its not depending on what you like about the goos. Songs like,' hate this place' and 'all eyes on me' are really well written songs. This on top of brilliant songs like slide, black ballon, iris etc. Everything seems to fit together so well in this album and i would tell anyone that they will love this album. The other goo's albums are amazing too, and would recommebd for you to at least get this one.
BUY THIS NOW!!
on 29 January 2005
I have all the goo goo dolls albums, and I have o say they are the best band I have ever heard. With this being the best goo goo dolls album to date. Songs such as dizzy, slide, broadway, black balloon, bullet proof, all eyes on me, acoustic #3, amigone and of course Iris, make this album a must get for anyone. You may well have noticed that I have mentioned pretty much the whole album and true it's nearly impossible to find an album which has all the songs equal to each other. Well tis album is just that. Gutterflower is alnother amazing Goo album, but doesn't quite come up to the standard of Dizzy up the girl. If you like bands like Switchfoot, Vertical Horizon, the Calling, Lifehouse, Athenaeum and Familiar 48, like me, then you're just going to Love this. (...)
on 9 February 2004
Why on earth has this album been discontinued? (Well at least the non-import version)
It's not like no one has heard of the Goo Goo Dolls...Very strange indeed
It's funny how you can still buy the other albums when this is clearly superior. Songs like 'Iris', 'Slide', 'Broadway is Dark' and 'black Balloon' combine well to make this a truly quality album. Some of the other tracks are less good but these ones clearly standout and make for an entertaining listen
Still really surprised at the liited availability of this album especially after the popularity of Iris from the City of Angels soundtrack
on 21 February 2004
until recently i hadn't heard of the goo goo dolls but after hearing the brilliant ballad iris i got a copy of this album.
highlights are beatiful rock ballads iris,name,acoustic number 3 and my personal favourite black balloon which is amazing, and the mid tempo rock anthems slide,broadway and all eyes on me.
i have listened to this album over and over and have since bought gutterflower,the bands latest album which is equally as stunning,and will be getting other goo goo dolls albums in the near future. this band is almost unknown in the uk but they definetly deserve commercial success and recognition especially if they continue to produce songs and albums of this quality
simply put if you like good music buy this album now!