Format: Audio CD|Change

on 27 September 2013
Courtney Love is an absolute genius whatever you may think of her this album is legendary. This is the album that made me fall in love with Courtney Love's music and if you can listen to an album from beginning to end without skipping a single song and then at the end replay it all again that shows just how amazing it really is. I would recommend this album to anyone along with 'Nobody's Daughter and America's Sweetheart. Live through this is also good but isn't on the same level as these three albums. Buy it now you don't know what you've been missing!
on 28 December 2005
Initially, I was sceptical. Yet, after a few listens, I was 'hooked'. There is something beautiful about this CD. Love sings/shouts/whispers/screams with a raw passion, a scathing energy that can only be genuine. 'Dying' and 'Reasons To Be Beautiful' are perfect. 'Northern Star' is somehow heartbreaking, and the opening track 'Celebrity Skin' is brilliantly ruthless. Give 'Hole' a chance.
on 31 August 2003
im not a massive hole fan in fact id neva really heard of them befre accidentally findin them on amazon n buyin it on an impulse. but i love this album! it is truely tha work of a genius and unlike some albums where there r songs u dont like this is always good. woteva mood the rock music with clear lyrics makes u feel good/ i luv it n dnt even think bout not buyin it!!!!!
on 18 February 2011
Courtney Love is at it (again) with her middle-of-the-road "Alternative Rock" that doesn't sound very alternative at all, it pretty much sounds like a bad Smashing Pumpkins rip-off.
Hole did have something different to offer when they started, but now it's getting very old, the only saving grace to this album is songs such as "Dying" and "Malibu" which might offer a bit of originality and energy to the CD. Every other song just sounds cliched and overdone.
Lovely artwork which is wasted on this very poor offering. Hole should try writing their own songs for once, rather than having Billy Corgan or the late Kurt Cobain writing for them.
on 8 November 1999
Don't be expecting another Live Through This with Celebrity Skin. This is Courtney at her most reflective (and quiet). There are a lot of mellowed out songs on this album which contrast sharply to my favourite Hole release, Pretty on the Inside. Still, its not a bad effort, even if Billy Corgan wrote most of the good tracks.
on 3 October 2000
Well I've been a Hole fan for a good few years now, and have listened to the last few Hole albums until my stereo gave in and my guitar got sick of me playing the same old riffs. So you can imagine my excitement when I ran to the local music store in 1998 to buy a copy of the new and long awaited album 'Celebrity Skin'. I suppose I had my suspicions that this album might be conformist and pop and generally not Hole-like at all, simply because I knew of Courtney's new and very uninspiring new lifestyle what with the now successful film career and the beautiful people that are her Hollywood friends. I unfortunately was right. Ok, so I enjoyed listening to the album but it didn't do anything for me like the others did. One line in the single 'Awful' leaps to mind: 'I was punk, now I'm just stupid, it's so awful'. Well anyway, that sums it all up.
on 19 February 2004
Someone said in another review "this introduced me to rock". this is basically a sumary of what this cd can provide, a soft, easy on the ear album which is a supposedly more "mature" sound from Hole, but infact sounds far too manufactured and polished, and so damn precise to be as raw, beautifully painful and wonderfully strong as their previous sound. It seems as though their sound has not developed, but completely regressed into songs which play on the same themes always used in a more swallowable way....the general public as a whole is obviously v satisfied with this record, and for people into commercialised pop-punk etc this album probably does make them feel tingly and make them dance and do all the things good music should, but to me it feels as though this sound could be produced by any female singer with the editing they've obviously had. Far too polished, made to be easy to absorb...and doesn't have the original harsh beauty which made Hole Hole...to summarise Courtney sounds v unCourtneyish and the "powerrock" intros and random loud guitar riffs don't add energy, strength or passion...they don't even make good music. Dissappointing..have courage to be the girl with the most cake and buy their earlier albums!
on 6 February 2004
If you expect every song to be like the fantastic celebrite skin, im afraid u will be bitterly dissapointed, after that, it is full of pointless songs which are mostly the same, im glad i bought the album, but definately not as good as Courtney could have done