XO

5.0 out of 5 stars what can I say ...amazing
Published on 22 Jan 2002 by colleenmlloyd@hotmail.com

3.0 out of 5 stars WHATS ALL THE FUSS ABOUT
I brought this album through a recommendation as I was told that he was like an American Morrisey and being a Smiths fan I brought this album and on fist listen I was not impressed, and as for an American Morrisey he is not. But as time as gone by I have started to like the odd song. And on hearing about his death a few years ago now I gave this album another chance and...
Published on 8 May 2010 by Stephen

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 | Next ›

5.0 out of 5 stars what can I say ...amazing, 22 Jan 2002
This review is from: XO (Audio CD)
I have been an avid Elliott fan for the past 12 months, I am only sorry that I didn't get to know about this most amazing artist earlier. All of Elliotts albums are a masterpiece in their own way, with XO and Either/Or being my two personal favourites at the moment. XO takes you on a beautiful ride starting with the melodic 'Sweet Adeline' to the impeccable guitar picking in 'Pitseleh' then onto the instrumental peaks such as 'Bled White' and 'Amity' and finishing on a the fullfilling note of 'I Didn't Understand' where Elliott puts on an amazing acapella performance. I cannot say enough about this album, easily a favourite of all time and something that no good CD collection should be without. If you buy this then I guarantee it will only be a short while before you own all five Elliott albums.

5.0 out of 5 stars You won't want to stop listening, 16 Aug 2001
This review is from: XO (Audio CD)
Simply one of the best records I've ever heard. Songs such as 'tomorrow', 'waltz #1' and 'independence day' leave you with a sweet taste in your mouth...and a sweet sound in your ears. The most interesting and smooth melodies combine with a sound which has your heart pounding against the inside of your ribcage. If you like acoustic, melodic music...then don't miss Elliott...he writes some of the best tunes I've ever heard...and many of the are on this record! (for similar taste try other classic albums such as "The Doves - The Doves", "Turin Brakes - The Optimist LP", "Witness - Before The Calm" and any Belle and Sebastian).

5.0 out of 5 stars Genius, 1 Feb 2000
This review is from: XO (Audio CD)
An astonishing album from an artist who has gone from strength to strength. The marriage of strings and Elliott's acoustic guitar is heavenly and his fragile vocals are deeply moving. The soul-bearing lyrics mean this is an album for people of a sensitive disposition only.

5.0 out of 5 stars Not as good as Jame Blunt! ( I don't think), 18 Jun 2008
Alan D. Evans "Big Al" (London) - See all my reviews
This review is from: XO (Audio CD)
This Album transports me elswhere! Poor Elliott! Why is some of the best music made by depressed souls? And not by stupid ex army blokes who sing rubbish melody fm fodder! I can't believe that one star review!! Wot an idiot with no music taste that geezer is!!

5.0 out of 5 stars I AM speechless at this guys talent, 25 Nov 2005
This review is from: XO (Audio CD)
the first elliott smith album i bought was "either/or"
and i thought that was fantstic then i invested in this classic "XO" and i was blown away i mean BLOWN AWAY AT HOW beautifully melodic and catchy his melodies and lyrics were and the lyrics are some of his best a great fantastic warming album which leaves a warm feeling inside after the album has finished and it doesn't go away for a couple of hours i can tell you i love this album so friggin much it's unbelieveble i haven't been blown away with an album like this since i bought mark lanegan's "bubblegum"
a classic masterpiece of art BUY BUY BUY IT now click add to basket and reep the genius of elliott smith "xo"

4.0 out of 5 stars (Non)forgotten troubadour, 23 May 2013
This review is from: XO (Audio CD)
Elliot Smith doesn't get much (if at all) airplay these days and is a rarely covered artist. This album is one of his better efforts and a slight departure from his earlier solo work (he is actually a solo act but has a backing band here). The songs on this album are memorable, and you'll long be humming them after listening. I liked Waltz#2 and Sweet Adeline the most. The album, like a lot of Smiths work is lyrically dark but acoustic driven, compared to his earlier albums is better in terms of production. Acoustic musicians and buskers can do no wrong picking this up, it's the sort of album I'd recommend for you.

5.0 out of 5 stars When Music Makes Your Life a Better Thing to Live, 18 Nov 2011
Mr. Jp Scott-howes "Manson'sUglySon" (Tate Residence, USA) - See all my reviews
This review is from: XO (Audio CD)
XO is probably the most beautiful, powerful, poetic, stunning, wonderful heartrending album it's ever been my pleasure/pain to experience.

This stands as one of the 4 or 5 albums that I can easily say has changed my life, I feel awed in it's presence.

When Ellliott Smith sings "I'm never gonna know you now, but I'm gonna love you anyhow" on Waltz 2 (XO) my heart and being melt and the 'real' world fades away.

XO is love & heartbreak & passion & power in sounds.

This record has made my life a better thing to live.

5.0 out of 5 stars a life changing album!, 3 Feb 2000
This review is from: XO (Audio CD)
Okay, so his sound is nothing new, but who cares, the emotion and endless creativity displayed in this album more than makes up for what some people may percieve as a lack of origanality. one of the most under rated musicians around, (in my opinion anyway!) A must buy!

5.0 out of 5 stars happy, sad & mostly thankful for Elliot Smith, 15 Jun 2003
This review is from: XO (Audio CD)
Elliot Smith flirted with fame with his contribution to the Good Will Hunting soundtrack. Off the back of that poor film but inexplicable popular film this record appeared. It's a really special recording; it draws you in and encompasses so much with a really basic sound. The charm of XO is that it is not instant it grows and grows until it becomes the standard by which all other music should be judged. Often I have put this on and tried to get friends to love it but it just is not like that only after you lend it to someone and they listen to it by themselves (its a very personal record) do they really begin to see the majesty of Elliot Smith. Throughout the XO Sad and mournful songs like bled white sit comfortable with the celebratory mood of songs like Amity this contributes to a quiet awkwardness and insecurity that makes Elliot Smith just better than anyone else. listen to Elliot Smith and hear music the way it should be.

5.0 out of 5 stars Simply incredible, 20 Feb 2004
This review is from: XO (Audio CD)
I've been a fan of Elliott Smith for a while and to hear of his death was saddening as he wrote and performed such amazing songs.
X/O is my favourite record by Elliott Smith and perhaps by any other artist. It is such a pure record with melodies and lyrics that stir the soul. True X/O can come across as depressing but I found it to be quite cathartic, it somehow alleviates the problems in my life.
It amazes me how Elliott Smith could write such pure and beautiful songs from such painful and heartbreaking subject matter.In a way it is nice that Elliott was not hugely famous as it gives real fans an opportunity to hold on to something that they can feel is uniquely theirs.
X/O is a superb record that deserves to be listened to by all people that appreciate what music really should be.

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 | Next ›
ARRAY(0xb4f031c8)

XO
XO by Elliott Smith (Audio CD - 1999)