5.0 out of 5 stars Buy this CD!!!, 25 Aug. 2003
This review is from: How We Quit the Forest (Audio CD)
First and foremost - if you are a fan of Rasputina (*or good music in general!*) then this is the CD for you!
Rasputina (*forgetting the cello society tag*) must be one of the most influential Goth bands around. Each of their songs has a completely different flavour to it. From the electronic infused "Transylvanian Concubine" (*which is one of my personal favourite tracks*) to the haunting feel of "Kate Moss" (*absolute genius!*)
I originally bought this album when it was first released, and thought it was wonderful! If i'm being honest - i didnt anticipate buying the re-release, but the promise of bonus tracks was enough to spur me on to - and im glad i did. The extra tracks bring a new dimension to the already diverse selection of tracks.
The lead singer has one of those voices that could pull off any track she wanted to. This is demonstrated throughout the album, from the more rocky tracks, such as "Twitch", and "Ye Olde Headboard", to the somewhat mellower "You don't own me". The lyrics, and voices have such a story to tell, and create such an atmosphere and raw emotion that it almost hurts to listen to it (*in a good way! as not a lot of albums conjure up such emotion*)
The original copy of the "How we quit the forest" was a well worthy purchase, and was certainly one of my favourite albums in my collection (*which is extremely wide and varied!*), but has now been cast aside (!) in favour of this re - release. For anybody who already owns a copy of "How we quit the forest" and is thinking that they don't need to buy this - think again! It's certainly worth it. And for anybody who doesn't even own a copy of the original "How we quit the forest" - shame on you! But you can redeem yourself by buying this CD!
Rasputina are surely one of the best Gothic bands of the 90s, and deserve all the credit they get. SO BUY THIS CD!!!!

5.0 out of 5 stars a welcome respite from the normal humdrum of music today, 11 Oct. 2001
This review is from: How We Quit the Forest (Audio CD)
After buying 'Thanks for the Ether' and immediately finding it difficult to remove it from my CD player I looked to this release with a feeling of excitement and trepidation, barely hoping that they could succeed in forming something as different as their first release.
They exceeded my expectations with their twisted sense of humour, rich tapestries of melody and just... plain *different* way of playing.
Strong points of the album are hard to pick out as it is generally so impressive but personal favourites are 'Herb girls of Birkenau', 'Things I'm Gonna do' and 'The New Zero.' 'Diamond Mind' is another highlight for the dark sense of humour it allows to show through.
Eccentric, twisted, beautiful and emotional throughout, this is one album that I will never get tired of: buy it now.

5.0 out of 5 stars What's there not to like about a band made up of 3 cellos and drums, 1 Jun. 2014
Mr. Mrs. Lester "maj_lester" (Weybridge, UK) - See all my reviews
This review is from: How We Quit the Forest (Audio CD)
Seriously wacky stuff. Many of the songs had lyrics that somehow connected with the past. The cover of Lesley Gore's "You don't own me" is the best that has ever been done. The cellos are great. I'm playing it over and over.

5.0 out of 5 stars The best badn ever, 6 Jan. 2001
This review is from: How We Quit the Forest (Audio CD)
I discovered Rasputina on the buffy album and after that i downloaded some of there songs and have since totally fallen in love with band. There music is beutiful, haunting and mysterious with some songs containg a slightly sinister air, one word that best describes this album and also the other one they have done.Beautiful.

5.0 out of 5 stars rasputastic!!!!, 13 Nov. 2002
This review is from: How We Quit the Forest (Audio CD)
I brought this album after i heard rasputina on the buffy soundtrack and it was the best cd i have ever brought! deeply moving and weird, rasputina have created an album that is a mix of gothic and classical rock! I really recomend this album to anyone who has a weird twist to their personallity - especially when listening to christian soldiers!!!

5.0 out of 5 stars I think Rasputina are Great!, 29 Nov. 2000
This review is from: How We Quit the Forest (Audio CD)
Rasputina are a really cool band, I really like they're song Transylvanian Concubine its really good so run out and but it. This CD isn't quite as good but it is worth a try, I hope you enjoy it too.

How We Quit the Forest
How We Quit the Forest by Rasputina (Audio CD - 1998)