4.0 out of 5 stars Took me a long time to start appreciating it
Published on 22 Dec 2008 by Arnoud

3.0 out of 5 stars Fresh as ever
It was energetically fresh then and still is and leaves me wondering why success ran away so soon. That's pop music.
Published 11 months ago by springfox13

4.0 out of 5 stars Took me a long time to start appreciating it, 22 Dec 2008
It took me a long time to start appreciating this album but when it finally settled, it became one of my favorites. "Show me the way" of course was a monster hit but when it came out, I thought it was a little over-the-top. But years later, after listening to the album a few times, it hit home. This expanded version adds some extra tracks without compromising the total quality of the album.

5.0 out of 5 stars The classic live album just got even better, 1 Jun 2003
By A Customer
This 25th anniversary reissue (can it really be that long since I rushed out to buy the double LP shortly after its release??) of one of rock's most famous (and sadly sometimes derided) live albums returns some of the authenticity which was lost from the original album. Three more live tracks from the series of American concerts which gave rise to the ‘Comes alive’ album are added, together with a live performance recorded in an American studio in the same year, 1975. The order of the songs is returned to that of the original shows, the sequence used on the original album having been dictated primarily by the constraints of LP-side timings. The new sequencing of the tracks is fine, and the concert seems to take on a new character as a result, with a more pronounced ‘unplugged’ section in the middle. All the tracks have been remastered and some remixing done, and the recording again becomes a double album, since it no longer fits on to one CD. The packaging is superb, with very high quality archive concert photos, a new essay, and all the song lyrics - not that they exactly qualify as great poetry!
However, despite these changes the resulting album is not perhaps quite as good as it might have been. The remastering is a bit louder than the previous CD remaster, but not significantly different, and whatever remixing has been done is so subtle as to be virtually undetectable. I had hoped that by way of a change the rather intrusive audience noise (especially the scary bang in the middle of ‘Wind of change’) might have been reduced a little in this version, but it remains as loud as before. The live studio take of ‘Day’s dawning’ is an interesting piece of history, but weak compared with the original version which opens the ‘Frampton’ album. The three extra performances from the ‘Comes alive’ concerts are all excellent and fill out the recording to approximately the correct length for Peter’s concerts of the time. However, one can’t help feeling that there must have been other songs in the band’s repertoire which were performed in that summer of ’75, and which could have been included here to fill out the double CD. They needn’t have formed part of the ‘concert proper’, but could have been added as a postscript, like the radio studio cut, in order to give a really comprehensive overview of the band’s work at that time. Instead all we have essentially is the original live album with 3 extra performances – perhaps not enough to be trumpeted as a special anniversary edition.
To sum up though, despite these criticisms, this is an improved version of the previously available album, and it remains a classic which defined the sound of FM rock radio just prior to the ‘punk’ onslaught. Unfairly criticized by some as just a pretty-faced poser, Frampton demonstrates that he can play melodic rock guitar far better than most, as well as putting on an exciting live show which the audience thoroughly enjoys. So if like me you considered ‘Comes alive’ to be an indispensable 70s rock album, you will probably agree that this version is even better than the original. (By way of comparison, I would also recommend the 1999 ‘Live in Detroit’ album by Frampton – be sure to get the extended, double CD version – which shows that though he has lost most of his hair and gained a little weight since the glory days of ‘75, Peter’s guitar playing and live performance appeal remain intact.)

5.0 out of 5 stars Does anyone remember the summer of 76?, 7 Mar 2000
This review is from: Frampton Comes Alive (Audio CD)
If you do the sun shone forever and this was THE album to play!
Oh for great memories! Crank up the volume- go crusin in your car and see the flock approach ...
Do you Feel Like We Do ? 14 mins of brilliance and Lines On My Face both CLASSIC!
Show Me The Way was virtually played bare as the single to the release.Oh for the crackles of the vinyl! But this is classic without them! Remember the Voice Box and your air guitar impressions ?
Wind Of Change - I Wanna Go To The Sun - Baby I Love Your Way.
This is Stadium Rock at its best. It sold in bucketloads and held the record for a live recording for many a year.
Buy a slice of History. Oasis move sidewards for a class Brit!

5.0 out of 5 stars Difficult to choose........., 8 Nov 2007
A. Thorpe "crossan8" (Cheadle Cheshire.) - See all my reviews
Having only ever listened to the original album from in the form it first came out in 1976,the 25TH anniversary edition was on first listening disappointing, partially because the added tracks did not come up to scratch with the 14 tracks on the '76' album but also because some of the tracks had been moved around from the original recordings lineup.However suprisingly after dismissing the second disappointment I persevered and it has grown on me to the extent where when I fancy putting on 'Frampton comes alive' I cannot decide which version to play.........it is a brilliant,classic 70s album that I have never tired of.

4.0 out of 5 stars Still feels like he did., 6 July 2013
This review is from: Frampton Comes Alive (Audio CD)
How many times did this spin round my teenage turntable? Thousands possibly. A guitar playing tour de force if ever there was one. My son has taken to electric guitar and I got him this to listen to. He loves it. I love it..but it is a bit old fashioned in some respects.

5.0 out of 5 stars Frampton at his very best, 27 May 2013
This review is from: Frampton Comes Alive (Audio CD)
I had the privilege to see PFat KIngs Hall, Belle Vue in the late 70's. Although I bought the double album vinyl at the same time, I have not had the chance to play it recently. To hear it again was simply music to my ears. The tracks sounded as good as ever, in particular the iconic Do you feel like we do and Lines on my Face. There are many other great tracks such as I'll give you money, I'm gonna go to the sun, Baby I love your way & Show me the way. Even his interpretation of Jumping Jack Flash is refreshing, especially the brilliant guitar solo mid track. For the relatively cheap price I definitely got value for money plus it brought back so many happy memoirs of yesteryear. If you are a PF fan like me this is an absolute must!

5.0 out of 5 stars Unprecedented icon of rock history, 7 Feb 2007
Arturas Grigaliunas (Klaipeda, Lithuania) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Frampton Comes Alive (Audio CD)
For many people interested in more vast range of music than just some boy/girl bands or one hit starlets from the actual charts Peter Frampton means the unprecedented icon of rock history. His extraordinary recordbreaking album "Frampton Comes Alive" more than 3 decades ago set a standard of live recording which still remains a goal for many rock performers, producers other professionals. This album became not only a brandmark or kind of a lighthouse in Frampton's career despite all Peter's later achievements - it definitely became an eternal milestone of rock history, a mark that every live recording was and still is measured with.

You feel yourself infected by wonderful flow of this music and atmosphere of the venue after the very first listening of the album - you find out that you're already seduced to listen to the disc again and again. It doesn't matter which tune you start with - "Show Me The Way", "Doobie Wah", "Baby I Love Your Way", a hardly longer than one minute guitar solo "Penny For Your Thoughts" or 14 minutes short song "Do You Feel Like We Do" - Frampton's music spreading from this album charms you for a long time (maybe for a whole life).

It's a great pity that we have no oportunity to get the feeling of Peter Frampton's rock shows in Seventies in DVD format - unbelievably performances were not filmed on video. But the available DVDs of Frampton live shows convinces that the guy still has the drive, the guts characteristic to many rock musicians of the Seventies.

The guts of the real (not producer-invented) rock performer - maybe that's the reason why I'm still listening to "Frampton Comes Alive" in my car on a way to my workplace - it loads "my batteries" with good mood and energy.

I can't help listening to Peter Frampton's voice and guitars not only because of memories - I'm young enough (I still remember a chill spreading down my back when I listened to the album for the first time in autumn of 1976). It's because of irresistible spirit of Frampton's live show, his brisk performing talent and a magical feeling of audience response, feedback of the happy crowds not saying about such a must for hit album like banal music virtues: catchy melodies and fine arrangements.

I know I will be listening to this album for one more reason - I simply respect Peter Frampton who worked really hard to make his way to stardom and success has came to him not by some lucky coincidence.

You may like "Keane", "Coldplay", "Franz Ferdinand" for they modern approach to the music or just their age (similar to listseners'), but on the whole when you compare the general impression of their music and live performance with Frampton's it becomes clear that Peter still is the best.

Probably his album "Frampton Comes Alive" is a musical wonder of the world.

Thank You for patience in case you just found out that reading sometimes may be a waste of time.

4.0 out of 5 stars Interesting But!, 6 May 2013
Having worn out 3 copies of the vinyl album, Knowing every single note, being able to play along on guitar or Bass. I was crushed by the bloody awful initial CD release with half the songs missing.
I was delighted that a second CD was released with the original Vinyl running order.

The extra tracks of this version are ok and interesting to hear but having the rest of it playing out of order just jars with me despite them saying it was how it should be.
I'm glad I have it but I will stick to the second CD version and the Vinyl when we have a record player session.

Still my favorite album bar none.

5.0 out of 5 stars Classic, 5 May 2013
A. P. Spencer "Highway Star" (Leicester England) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Frampton Comes Alive (Audio CD)
This is even better than I remembered truly a classic album that I can now listen to in my car!

5.0 out of 5 stars As the reviews say..., 2 Jan 2013
This review is from: Frampton Comes Alive (Audio CD)
Bought this because I no longer have any Frampton in my music collection (one of my 'lost vinyls' along life's winding path!) and wondered how I'd managed to get to the age of 57 without having a copy! Amazing album that really does deserve the accolade of being one of the best live albums ever. Buy this and be transported back to the atmosphere and experience of live music when you were a teenager in the 70s. Or, if you're currently a teenager, get a taste of what a real live music atmosphere feels like without going to a concert! Play it loud & tell your parents it's a history project if they complain!

Frampton Comes Alive
Frampton Comes Alive by Peter Frampton (Audio CD - 1998)