5.0 out of 5 stars Magnificent, 31 May 2007
Julian Stevens (BRISTOL, UK United Kingdom) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Dancing on the Edge of the World (Audio CD)
Still a great album by piano and synthesizer player Kit Walker, despite its relatively ancient vintage (1987), perhaps best described as New Age with balls, on the Windham Hill Jazz label. Like most Windham Hill Jazz releases, this one is an SF Bay Area collaboration with no small measure of input from the highly talented pansman Andy Narell, who plays and co-produces. The usual local support crew abound, here including the likes of Steve (Journey & Steps Ahead) Smith on drums, Keith Jones on bass (and what a bass player he is) and Norbert Stachel on sax. Also featured are Tony Pagano (flute and piccolo), Zakir Hussein (tabla), Pete Escovedo (congas, timbales & percussion) and yet more percussion c/o Glenn Cronkhite. A most impressive cast of fine musicians.

This superb collection of instrumental compositions hasn't dated at all, much of it remaining wonderfully uplifting, not least in view of the ace recording/production. The follow up, Fire In The Lake, was a great disappointment, but this one's lovely and, in my experience, quite his best work. It's just so full of life and beauty. Perhaps a US West Coast foil to Friedemann's (magical) Indian Summer from the same year, though I have to say that for me this one has the edge, principally because it's got more backbone.

Highly recommended, not least for outstanding tracks such as Temple of Stars and the solo piano composition I'll Meet You There which closes the album. Miss this one and your life will be poorer. Bag it and your life will be enriched.

4.0 out of 5 stars New to me and much enjoyed., 3 Nov. 2012
Again I am grateful to Amazon UKs inveterate reviewer Julian Stevens who suggested I might like to try this one. I was lucky in that I was able to purchase a copy on a near mint vinyl LP (good vinyl played on quality equipment is better than CD isn't it?). I am not familiar with the Kit Walker entourage, but I have greatly enjoyed this recording. Highly recommended, I am giving it 4 stars, but would award 9 out of 10 were it possible to do so.

Dancing on the Edge of the World
Dancing on the Edge of the World by Kit Walker (Audio CD - 1989)