Format: Audio CD|Change
Price:£8.44+ £1.26 shipping

on 27 October 2013
From the late 70's into the early eighties everyone was doing disco-rock, even Queen, Bruce Springsteen, Rod Steward...well you get the picture. Michael Jackson always seems to be given credit for this new sound, but Donna Summer's 'Hot Stuff' was really the first!. Rock Instrumentation with a heavy drum beat. Donna Summer never really gave into making a whole album with this sound until 'Cats without claws'. And in my opinion, the best disco-rock album ever made.

The reason why this album was not as successful as it might have been was because all the problems that surfaced with the release of this album, she had fulfilled her contract with her pervious record company by delivering 'She works hard for the money' and was free to try new things. She did not want to be remembered or constrained by the disco image in the 1980's! And the backlash started!

But this is a strong album, 'There goes by baby' was really the only hit in America and 'Supernatural love' was being played quite a lot too, but didn't become a hit. 'Eyes' was eventually released as a single in the UK, but greatly reworked to make it sound more disco with more drums added and with a lot of the guitars taken off. 'Oh Billy Please' is also an album highlight. If you don't know this album well, think of 'Hot Stuff' with more guitars, it worked really well for Donna creatively but not commercially.
on 21 March 2011
Donns Summer always was a presence in my childhood.
When I was a teen , I discovered this LP and this very one became my best since then.
I have downloaded it, but I had to own the original vinyl as I used to listen at that time.
I do recommend this to people from my age and all!
on 2 December 2014
This review is for the 2014 remastered and expanded edition of Eyes.

Originally released when the electronic dance sound of the 80s exploded and brought rattling drum machines to the fore, Donna Summer's fourth album after leaving behind her disco days on Casablanca finds an excellent balance between New Wave/rock, dance and pop.

Supernatural Love was a storming slice of Hi-NRG with sizzling synths, while Eyes was an insistent mid-tempo dance track driven by its own unique sound and with intriguing lyrics that draw you in as much as the mesmeric groove. Remixer John 'Jellybean' Benitez reworked Eyes with his usual New York latin percussion for the 7" and 12" mixes (as well as remixing I'm Free for the B-side), but the album version is also fantastic in its own right.

Several of the other mid-tempo album cuts are excellent, including It's Not The Way, Face The Music and Oh Billy Please. The slower number Maybe It's Over - with slinky saxophone and keyboards - is also superb.

This highly underrated album gets a sparkling remastered reissue and sounds simply fantastic, bolstered by its presentation with a superb booklet.
on 15 December 2014
This is one of my favourite 80s Donna Summer albums.It was completely over looked at the time & I struggled to even to get hold of the single releases in the UK. Though many will disagree, I prefer it to She Works Hard For The Money, which was also co-wriiten & produced with Michael Omartian. To my ears the remastering is first class especially when compared to the original CD release. It's also great to have an unreleased track & the remixes. Unfortunately the 7" remix of Supernatural Love is not included, but then nothing's perfect
on 26 December 2014
At long last!!! Someone finally decided to re-release some of Donna Summers back catalogue! Not only that, but remastered and expanded!
This album is from one of her less successful periods, the early to mid eighties, although listening to the album now its difficult to see why it was not more popular with the record buying public, I can only assume poor promotion was to blame ( I was a kid at the time and I don't remember Donna Summer featuring much on TV or radio ).
There are some brilliant pop songs on here. 'Supernatural Love' has a real catchy hook, 'I'm Free' is good, the slower tempo 'There Goes My Baby' was apparently a hit in the USA, and the quite brilliant 'Eyes' always reminds me a bit of Gary Numan's 'Cars' with a very similar early-eighties sound.
In short, if you're not sure whether to buy this, maybe the absence of well-known hit songs is putting you off, or you just never heard of the album, you need not worry, you will not be disappointed, even if you only have a passing interest in Donna Summer, but like music from that period.
on 16 August 2013
I brought this cd as I have the vinyl version, favourite songs are Maybe it's over, There goes my baby and Oh! Billy please.
I can't think of a bad album of hers. Love her voice and I'm sad that we will never hear a new song. If you are a fan of Donna's music then buy this cd.
This is not one of Donna Summer's more memorable albums. It is well produced by Michael Omartian but lacks the timeless songs that are found aplenty on her better works. There Goes My Baby is a pleasant ballad where her voice gets a chance to soar, but most of the tracks sound very similar. The style is a kind of 80's Pop/R&B without the dance beat. The torch song Forgive Me has lovely piano and the title track is vaguely sensual, while the opening number Supernatural Love is embellished with impressive synth infusions. But overall, the album is rather tepid and lacks spark. It is with a measure of reluctance that I award it a third star. Perhaps it deserves only two and a half. I recommend the albums Bad Girls and Once Upon A Time to those wishing to hear the best of Donna Summer.
on 14 June 2016
this is music you feel. donna has a way of really reaching her listener. she sings from her soul. so much emotion. she sounds convincingly like she is actually crying while pleading. great performance. outstanding guitar on this track.
on 3 July 2011
75 quid? Lol.. what a shame! A great dance pop album by the queen of the dance and this album gets people either loving it or hating it, i love it and i will buy a Cd copy when i can find it on amazon at a realistic price, donna's great!! But not that good!. Hookers don't even charge that much! I know i used to be one! Jus kiddin. Seriously eyes is a hot and mysterious danceable song with a great hook the 12 version is a must.
on 10 April 2002
Donna Summer continued her career with this interesting pop album. Released in 1984 the album was not a huge success (making No.40 in the US album charts and only No.69 in the UK). All of the tracks are listenable; my favourites being the the poppy ballad 'Oh Billy Please', the offbeat and mesmerising 'Eyes'(which was released as a single in the UK but did not chart)and the grammy winning 'Forgive Me' (in which Donna appears to be singing to Christ). The two best known tracks are 'There Goes My Baby', a cover of the Drifters early hit and 'Supernatural Love', which were both minor hits in the US and are featured on at least one compilation album. The main reason for me liking this album is that it always reminds me of my first visit to Paris in 1999 (as it was there I bought and first heard the album) and every time I listen to it I just remember being lost up the Champs-Elyses.
review image