Shop now Shop now Up to 70% off Fashion Shop All Amazon Fashion Cloud Drive Photos Amazon Fire TV Amazon Pantry Food & Drink Beauty Shop now Shop now Shop Fire Shop Kindle Shop now Shop now Shop now

Format: Audio CDChange

on 18 January 2004
Quite simply put,this is one of the best albums I have in my collection,and over the years I've bought a few!!!!I first bought it in '89 on cassette and even today it gets a regular listening on my system. All the tracks are brilliant,but have you ever heard a song like 'Walkin on ice'.Coould never see why the one cover ,'California Dreaming' was the single here as ,although a damn good cover,its probably the weakest in the collection.
Go out and buy!!!!
on 15 September 2003
i received this as a gift many years ago, its one of the best albums i have ever heard. The songs are excellent and very well written would Definitely recommend it. the songs themselves are very Meaningful and its not often i get an album and like all songs. I WANT MORE FROM THIS BAND
on 20 November 2005
River City People consisted of two brothers Tim and Paul Speed (guitars and drums respectively)and Dave Snell (bass) who in 1987 were all studying at Liverpool Polytechnic. Vocalist Siobhan Maher had previously worked with Snell in a band called Peep Show and had also achieved some fame as a TV presenter in the mid-eighties. The band's break came in 1989 when they received funding from the pop programme 'The Chart Show' to make a video and were subsequently signed to EMI.
The band's debut album (producd by Don Gehman who had worked with REM) was perhaps out of its time; had it been released ten years earlier on the heels of Fleetwood Mac's 'Rumours', it may have fared better. Although the band's melodic style owed something to other great stylists (for example U2 and Simple Minds in addition to Mac), they were in the grand tradition of pop-rock mainstream with some killer hooks, riffs and melodies. A cover of 'California Dreamin' only served to further their pop credibility and actually achieved a UK Top 20 slot when released as a single.
Sadly, after releasing the "difficult" second album in October 1991 internal bitching about the direction of the band led to an impasse and they were dropped the following year by EMI. Maher found short-lived work with ex-Bangles drummer Debbi Peterson under the name of Kindred Spirit whilst the Speed brothers returned to the 'Pool. They later surfaced in a band appropriately named Speed who released one dreadfully marketed album in 1998. Dave Snell went into band management.
Siobhan Maher, married briefly to Snell, subsequently sought her fortune in the States and, newly-married to top Nashville producer Ray Kennedy, released an excellent solo album in March 2002.
Don't miss: River City People: Say Something Good (reissued version includes the single, California Dreamin')
on 30 December 2012
As a fan of rock and metal music never really paid much attention to mainstream music but ive always had a love of female fronted folk/rock type music All About Eve, The Sundays etc.
I remember having this on vinyl back in the day just bought the cd copy and still love it as much as i did then. The beautiful Siobahn Mayer has a gorgeous voice and this album is stunning. The big hit was california dreamin but songs like Under the Rainbow and Walking on Ice (my favourite) are even better.After not hearing this album for years i can't stop playing it and even though its over 20 years old it still sounds fresh unlike a lot of music from late 80s early 90s does. I bought the cd for less than a £1, i would say treat yourself sit back relax and enjoy a great album full of melody and sang beautifully. I also recommend the follow up album This is the world not as good as this but still worth owning.
on 14 July 2010
After buying the cassette in 1990 I've loved this album. My favorite track being the cover of California Dreamin'. So I was shocked to find the CD doesn't include this song - their big hit. What's going on here? I wondered if it was because I bought the CD on Amazon market place from an American supplier. Was this track missing because it was a US version? I've since looked on Amazon and it's not even on the download version in the UK.
For this reason I've only given 4 stars. Otherwise great album.
on 27 February 2014
Siobhan Maher's voice is really special. Some of the tracks on this album really do it justice. Others are weaker. The mix on the drumming is intrusive throughout. I wouldn't be without this album now I've discovered it.
on 10 February 2010
Whilst the CD is excellent, as expected, as I have the album on vinyl, I would have appreciated knowing in advance that it was in a cardboard sleeve, rather than a plastic case, as this may have influenced my purchase.
on 25 February 2011
Bought this album to replace an old tape so new it was what i wanted.All i can say is seller was top notch.It came promptly and just as described (used but like new)no problems at all.
on 29 September 2015
Great singer with excellent musicians from Liverpool
on 18 May 2015