Format: Audio CD|Change

on 27 December 2000
I remember hearing a song on the radio at about 8 years old that haunted me in to adulthood. The song was "Moonlight Shadow" and it remains one of my favourite ever songs to date. It would be sad to write Oldfield off as only being famed for Tubular Bells and co as there are some truly wonderful and charismatic songs on this album. "Five Miles Out" shows how its all done and "Heavens Open" is a must for playing whilst driving the long open road. This album is brilliantly quirky but so easily listened to I don't why I am the first to review it!
on 8 February 2001
I first bought this ablum for my aunt birthday when i was about 15. I thought i would play it and see what all the fuss was about - and i liked it so much she never actually received it. I bought her something else instead!! Now i am 21 and looking to buy the CD. I think my favorite song on the album is Family Man. It is catchy, the words mean something, and it makes very good background music as I drive. Do not asume Mike Oldfield is just a classical writer, he is amazing and you will probebly recognise some of the songs.
Mike Oldfield, a multi-instrumentalist, achieved worldwide success with his debut, Tubular bells, but never came close to matching its success again although his albums continued to sell well in his British homeland. This collection of his music from the seventies, eighties and early nineties shows Mike's development as an artist. Although titled Elements, this is really a Best of package.
The set opens with the opening theme to Tubular bells and includes his four British top ten hits (In Dulce Jubilo, Portsmouth, Moonlight shadow, Sentinel) as well as Family man, which was only a minor UK hit for Mike but which became a top twenty UK hit via a cover by Hall and Oates. Some of Mike's lesser hits are missing including the UK top twenty hit, Blue Peter, which is Mike's interpretation of the theme to the long-running children's TV series - it was even used on the TV for a few years.
The vastly under-appreciated Maggie Reilly (a brilliant soprano) sings on some of Mike's records, most notably Moonlight shadow, an extremely sad song albeit with a bouncy tune. Another brilliant guest vocalist is Bonnie Tyler, featured on Islands.
While you might wish to buy the original Tubular bells album in its entirety, this sampling of Mike's best music spanning nearly twenty years shows plenty of variety.
on 8 July 2014
It's ok, I really love Mike Oldfield and bought this because of price. There are some brilliant tracks on it Moonlight Shadow, In Dulci Jubilo and Portsmouth and some not so good ones in my opinion. Again i think at the right price it's worth putting this on your album list.
on 7 April 2014
This is was a fantastic compilation of great music from a great artist. Amazon is one of a very few places where you can get it. For the true lover of music I recommend this CD to any one that fits that description. Get it while you can.
on 25 January 2014
any true mike oldfield fan should not be without this c/d. his class as a musician shines through every track. once again amazons delivery was second to none. love the c/d love amazon.
on 1 June 2014
Featuring Mikes best compositions, can't go wrong if your a fan. Maggie Reilly should get more acclaim for her singing.
on 4 October 2010
For those of you who are fans of Mike, this is deffinatly for you. This album is filled with some of the most magical music he has ever created. I have searched for years to find this album, with little in the way of results. Then, thanks to Amazon, I am finally in posession of my own copy. There really isn't anything I can write about this album - it speaks for itself. Go out, buy it and emerse yourself in Oldfield's world.
on 15 October 2014
The best hits of the "classic" (i.e., pre Tubular Bells II and its sequels) Mike Oldfield, from the most "pop" ones (Moonlight Shadow, Heaven's Open, Islands, etc.) to the first instrumentals (Incantations, Ommadawn, etc.).

This is a great gift for someone that thinks that Mike Oldfield is only what he's been doing the last 20 years.
Elements is probably one of the best places (along with Tubular Bells, of course) to start with Mike Oldfield. This has a great selection of his music over the years up to his Tubular Bells 2 album. You get a fair range of his instrumental stuff, as well as his other songs such as the excellent 'Family Man' which has one of the best Oldfield solos ever, in my opinion. He has always been an original, enigmatic character and this collection goes some way to introducing you to the music of this unique songwriter and musician. Well worth a try.

Feel free to check out my blog which can be found on my profile page.