5.0 out of 5 stars Totally underrated Blues Soul Funk album!!!
I first heard this 10 years ago. I had the 2 cd King of the Blues box set of his 3 albums on the Shelter label and liked some of it so much that I wanted to hear more of his stuff. Burglar was all I could find at the time.
Published on 2 Nov 2003 by Mr. K. Sinclair

3.0 out of 5 stars Long time in the hearing
I had heard of Freddie King's 1974 album "Burglar" long before I ever heard it.
Published on 28 April 2011 by M. D. Ripley

5.0 out of 5 stars Totally underrated Blues Soul Funk album!!!, 2 Nov 2003
Mr. K. Sinclair (leeds, w yorks United Kingdom) - See all my reviews
(VINE VOICE)    (REAL NAME)
This review is from: Burglar (Audio CD)
I put it on in the shop and I had a dilemma. This wasnt the Blues! Not the blues that I was religously listening to at the time anyway. First of all there were horns in there. At the time I couldnt stand horns in music (except classic soul) as I was a guitar nut and all I was interested in was hearing the guitar.
Next up it was, well, just too damn funky!
I didnt really start to appreciate soul and funk until I was in my mid twenties. I bought Burglar a few weeks ago and shook my head in embarrasment. How could I have not appreciated this album then?
It's funny how tastes change.
I still generally dont listen to much music that was recorded after 1980 because of the production used (Phil Collins drums etc) but my tastes are now much broader. If you are not a blues purist (whatever that is) and you love good music then this album is the very definition of good music! Yes you will need to appreciate soul and funk to fully appreciate this album but its probably not essential.
Lets get down to the music though.
The musicianship is amazingly tight. This is because the backing band are mainly culled from Gonzalez, an English group who recorded an album which has recently been rereleased by Soul Brother Records. Freddie is definitely on fire on this album and it sounds like he's having a ball. He seems to be feeding off the band in a way that really comes across to you as you're listening. The album shows how 'hip' Freddie was too. The man was a real dude which he needed to be to pull off some of the funkier stuff. He's not pretending or being forced into a record executives marketing strategy here.
The band help to completely stand the old blues formulas and cliches on there heads which is why the album is so good. The horns dont intrude at all, like they do on Luther Allisons Night Life album (those Brecker Bros are overated if you ask me!).
The production is slick, but not sterile. Freddies voice is AMAZING! He's rarely sounded better. His playing is wonderful, much heavier and flashier than BB King and much more complex than Albert King. Freddie is actually my favourite of the Kings of the blues guitar, and when you're ready to hear something a bit different from the bog standard blues, then I cant recommend a better Soul Blues album than this one. Eric Clapton and his band back Freddie on Sugar Sweet, but it's interesting to note that it's by no means the best track on here. (Clapton just plays the rhythm in the left speaker, no soloing!) Thats a testament to how Great Freddie was, he didnt need anybody to prop him up, although with the backing band who play on the Burglar album he rises to the very top of his game.
Standout tracks: Pack it up, Getting Second Best, Texas Flyer and Burglar are all fantastic. Perhaps My Credit Didnt go through is a little bit cheesy, but it's enjoyably cheesy none the less! Thats the only track that is in any way contrived.
Buy it!! ;)

5.0 out of 5 stars Freddie King - Burglar, 11 Jan 2010
This review is from: Burglar (Audio CD)
Freddie King is new to me ... but this album is getting lots of plays .. fills the blues funk label well and it's hard not to hear riffs that influenced Clapton.

5.0 out of 5 stars the texas cannonball., 26 April 2008
M. G. Czubkowski (Notts,uk) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Burglar (Audio CD)
Wow ,what a disc i did hear this about 20 years ago on tape & i had forgot just how dazzling freddie is.Not a bad track on the entire cd & his voice is amazing,the playing is stunning just try sugar sweet with its almost discord opening notes or the pure instumental pulp wood.I had a dream is pure electic blues with freddie sounding great,the jj cale number i got the same old blues never sounded this good before,buy this with confidence you will not be sorry.

5.0 out of 5 stars A GREAT COMPLETE REMASTERED ALBUM, 21 April 2011
FastHand (Harefield, England) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Burglar (Audio CD)
It's great to hear a complete album as it was originally recorded. I want to experience the emotion the artist tried to create whilst making the album. This Blues album does just that it captures the mood of that moment in time,great stuff.
Freddie has a brass section which gives it a big sound but not too much to drown out his guitar playing. His voice is fantastic, powerful and soulful. I like the whole album. There are some tracks that drive along like "Pulp Wood" and "I had a Dream" and some real slow smouldering numbers full of soul like "Only Getting second Best". If I did have a criticism it was that the tracks were too short as is the album but never the less a great album all the same. You can hear in Freddies guitar playing how he influenced Eric Clapton ( Eric appears on "Sweet Sugar") and so tragic that he died at the young age of 42 years. Buy it and I don't think you will be disappointed.

5.0 out of 5 stars Wrong photo!, 27 Sep 2012
R Lackey "Rachel Ford Lackey" (Keighley, West Yorkshire UK) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Burglar (Audio CD)
Freddie King died at 42 years old ...surely you can see that the guitarist in the photo is older than that! It is in fact a different bluesman called Little Freddie King.

5.0 out of 5 stars a great sound, 3 April 2014
Victor Preston "gvb" (birmingham, west mids United Kingdom) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Burglar (Audio CD)
i have had this album on vinyl since it was first released.
the main reason I bought it was because eric clapton was involved.
he is only credited on 1 track but his influence is everywhere.
the new ec box set has an album of clapton/king outtakes from these sessions.
modern blues with rock and jazz influences.
not for the purists but a great sound.

4.0 out of 5 stars good old Freddie, 1 Feb 2013
This review is from: Burglar (Audio CD)
Freddie King was something to behold on stage.
These days he seems to be all but forgotten.

Dressed in a yellow suit, he ignited a dull Crystal Palace Garden Party many years ago in astonishing style.
He was "showbiz" and really knew how to work a crowd.

This studio cd feels quite close to the blues-funk he delivered with such verve back in 1976.

Nice production throughout, a Mike Vernon job I recall.
Great horns, great everything.

No bonus tracks, issued as per vinyl edition.
I wish cd was longer, but you can't have everything you want can you?

3.0 out of 5 stars Long time in the hearing, 28 April 2011
M. D. Ripley "Mike Ripley" (England) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Burglar (Audio CD)
I had heard of Freddie King's 1974 album "Burglar" long before I ever heard it.
After seeing numerous cross-references in discussions of the work of blues guitarist Buddy Guy and also the impeccable living legend that is B.B. King, I could not resist this ridiculously cheap CD. It is possible to hear both Buddy Guy and B.B. King's influence on Freddie's playing style - and there are many of BB's trade-mark 'bends' here - but "Burglar" is not a conventional blues album, trying as it does to fuse blues, soul and funk. When it gets the mix right - as on tracks like "I got the same old blues" and "Texas Flyer" - it is at its best. The album also has tracks which are not easy to pigeon-hole. The instrumental "Pulp Wood" and the guitar riffs and breaks on "Sugar Sweet" and even the title track "The Burglar" reminded me at times of a jam session by any one of the British blues/rock super groups of the late Sixties, early Seventies. Not surprisingly, then, does one finds among Freddie King's supporting musicians Eric Clapton, Ray Davis and organist Brian Auger.
I am not sure this is the seminal "fusion" album some fans would claim, but it is certainly an interesting one if only for showing the underlying importance of the blues in popular music on both sides of the Atlantic. For my money, though, 'BB' remains the one true king of the bluesmen.

4.0 out of 5 stars Four Stars, 14 Oct 2014
This review is from: Burglar (Audio CD)
Freddie King Always Rocks!! Thank you, Amazon for your very quick service!!!

3.0 out of 5 stars Three Stars, 31 July 2014
This review is from: Burglar (Audio CD)
it`s okay it`s not his best

Burglar
Burglar by Freddie King (Audio CD - 2001)