5.0 out of 5 stars POWER AND MELODY
Published on 26 Jan 2007 by G. R. Ford

3.0 out of 5 stars Few Good Songs But Don't Play The Original Theme Tune
A few good songs on this album but they dont play the original theme tune of Home & Away which I thought would be on this album. Also Archir Roach There Is A garden is good & Christine Anu's Party & Hunters & Collectors Throw Your Arms Around Me. I think the Australian album though may be better it features songs from Kylie & Danni Minouge. You will recognise some of...
Published on 23 Nov 2010 by frodo2010

5.0 out of 5 stars POWER AND MELODY, 26 Jan 2007
G. R. Ford (Dorking, England) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Home And Away (Audio CD)
I first heard CC by chance on Radio 4's Loose Ends and was captivated by the remarkable voice. At the time I was fortunate enough to obtain the Live album and Mischief but her earler albums with CG were unavailable. Time and again devotees referred to Home and Away as THE album, so its unavailability was very frustrating. Now it has been reissued I understand what all the fuss is about. This and the earlier Live album embody the genius of CC rather than the over-produced studio albums. It contains my favourite CC track - Home Is Where The Heart Is - which also includes superb guitar accompaniment by CG. Listen to the sheer subtlety and melody of his accompaniment on Touch And Go which perfectly compliments the equally ravishing vocal range of CC. And if ever two voices complimented one another, these are they,epitomised on Blowin' Away and the chorus of Home Is Where The Heart Is. You will find endless joys on this wonderfully creative collection by two great contemporary musicians.

5.0 out of 5 stars Superb, 23 Oct 2006
This review is from: Home And Away (Audio CD)
In my opinion the best album from CG and CC. Like other reviewers I had the vinyl but have had to make do with a substandard recording from someone else's record.

This release is long overdue. For those who don't know it's a live album with just the two of them. They work together superbly - better live than most of their studio work as it's more natural if that makes sense. I get a similar buzz from 'Free Live' which is raw but perfect.

5.0 out of 5 stars Long awaited re-issue, 27 July 2006
This review is from: Home And Away (Audio CD)
I bought this album on vinyl many years ago by accident and have been waiting for it re-emerge on CD (I had intended to buy Mischief, the studio album that followed - also excellent and now sadly unavailable).

This is an excellent mix of standards and Gregson originals including the fantastic 'As Lovers Do'. It has a rough & ready 'live' feel complete with dog barking - but don't let that put you off.

If you arent already familiar with Collister's vocal talents - you're missing out. Go and see her live, or try CDs such as Blue Aconyte or Home.

5.0 out of 5 stars At Last, 27 Aug 2006
Amazon Customer (Codicote, Hertfordshire United Kingdom) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Home And Away (Audio CD)
I have this on cassette tape, brought from Clive Gregsons hand from the back of his car during a folk festival in Wales. Its on my 'desert island albums' list - and after some many years I've been fearing for its continued survival. The availabilty of CD is a great joy (lets hope they haven't cut out the dog).

A fantastic album.

4.0 out of 5 stars a lost gem, 14 July 2005
This review is from: Home & Away (Audio CD)
A lovely and very English live album. I have only a cassette version and I suppose this must have a rarity value now. Their version of I Heard it Through the Grapevine is a wonder and has a stunning guitar break.

5.0 out of 5 stars Over Priced, Rubbish Recording, Quite Brilliant!, 19 Aug 2005
This review is from: Home & Away (Audio CD)
'Home and Away' was the first album I heard by Clive Gregson and Chistine Collister, and I have to say that after hearing their other releases I still don't think that either Clive or Christine have bettered their perfomances on it. Ok, so the sound quality is a bit ropey at times, but the songs are fantastic and the perfomances are brilliant.
Clive's fluid guitar style and his rich tenor work well with Christine's soulful, emotive voice, and they compliment each other perfectly throughout. It actually took me a couple of listens before I really felt at home with Christine's sound, as at first it sounded a little harsh, but it was definately worth persisting with, as subsequent listens allowed me to hear and appreciate the rich textures, the timbre and the emotion contained within it.
There is a good selection of original songs on the album, 'Home Is Where the Heart Is', 'All the Time in the World' and 'It's All Just Talk' to name my favourites. There are also a few inspired cover versions such as 'Matchbox', 'Mama Tried', 'Slow Down' and 'I Heard It Through the Grapevine'. Clive draws his inspiration from a wide range of sources, from folk through Atlantic Soul to 1950's rock 'n' roll and this helps make 'Home and Away' the varied and inspired collection that it is.
'Home and Away' was recorded live at various venues, to small and appreciative audiences. The sound quality is not great and the cd packaging is rather poor, but to be fair, it was never intended as a cd release. It was sold at gigs, originally in cassette form and later by Cooking Vinyl on 12" lp. You can put up with the poor sound quality though, as the songs and the performance are so good that you don't even notice after the first few bars.
It took me years to get hold of a cd copy of this album, and it didn't come cheap, however, I still rate 'Home and Away' as one of my favourite albums of all time and a bargain, even at the price I paid.
When I was trying to get a copy, I contacted Clive and he told me that there are no plans to re-release it and that purchasing a second hand copy would be the only way of getting hold of this classic album on cd. So, if you see a copy for sale, snap it up quickly before someone else does, even if it does mean paying over the odds for it. You will not be disappointed.

5.0 out of 5 stars classic stuff...should be on CD, 14 Nov 2005
Mr. E. T. Williams (runcorn, cheshire United Kingdom) - See all my reviews
I first heard of this album many years ago in the HI-FI review magazine but never got round to hearing it, then I heard "all the time in the world" and just had to get a copy, alas it's not available on CD so I had to get the hissy cassette, great songs tho' it's really getting under my skin
get a copy now!

4.0 out of 5 stars Flaming Galaah!, 22 Nov 2008
This review is from: Home & Away (Audio CD)
Let me be the one that you turn to, someone you can rely on. Closer each day..........need I say more!
It's all here. The tune to the opening titles, the tune to the closing titles, the tune to the advert break and other impressive mood music to suit all of those emotional rollercoaster moments we tune in for.
A must purchase for all "Swivel" production studio fans.
Throw another Ken on the Barbie Bruce, it's great down under

5.0 out of 5 stars Beautiful music for those who hear the soul,,,, 13 Feb 2006
This review is from: Home & Away (Audio CD)
I can only really endorse the comments made by others on this site - this is a wonderful collection of performances that shows a master guitarist and superb vocalist are all that's needed to make powerfull yet simple music to make your heart soar! I've not heard Clive play with more inventive fluidity, and Christines vocal performances are up there with the very best female vocals I have ever heard. Though simply recorded on their four-track, the recording can take you to the very heart of a great live performance and were often used at hi-fi demo's in the 80's...
I am fortunate to own the original LP realease of this album and its had a strong place in my heart since I first heard it all those years ago. With my reord player gathering dust in my loft (alas for space restrictions), I do so wish a Cd version of this could be re-released.
Definately an album that deserves to have a far wider audience....

5.0 out of 5 stars The Breathtaking Brilliance of Gregson and Collister, 26 Sep 2011
This review is from: Home And Away (MP3 Download)
I have been listening to this wonderful Gregson and Collister recording of "Home and Away - Live," for over twenty years, but however my copy was very rough! This recording is extended to add tracks not previously available.
Myself I do not like to single out individual tracks - to give an impression that only one track is worthwhile, while the rest are inferior. Well this certainly isn't the case on "Home and Away - Live," where it is extremel;y difficult to prefer either Clive Gregson acoustic guitar playing (which is superb throughout), or Christine Collister's beautiful expressive voice. In my opinion this album is a classic of the often bland 1980's, where the duo (Gregson and Collister) seem to feed off one another's electrical energy - and create exquisite music that any lover of real music would love to own. It is very sad that Gregson and Collister aren't together anymore, but I urge you to also look at their other available albums - all sublime. To my mind Live albums capture the real essence of music - there's simply no faking, and no studio gimmicks, and this album in particular "Home and Away - Live," is just what it says live and extremely beautiful, wonderful, superb, and throughly true. Music is my absolute life, and this album I couldn't do without, and so should you, own it and know it - know beauty, truth, and social realism, and the reality of contemporary life. I love this album, and so will you too. Buy it and know strong music, music with truth as essence. Home And Away

Home & Away
Home & Away by Christine Collister (Audio CD - 1992)