5.0 out of 5 stars I don't agree - I really like this
In the early 80's Heaven 17 were my favourite artist - had their three major albums and several 12 inch singles. This CD has got me back into them again, and I've just ordered their latest album and a couple of early BEF recordings
Published on 22 Mar. 2006 by Tim Sture

3.0 out of 5 stars A few great tracks but not to everyone's taste
Published on 11 Nov. 2007 by Elizabeth Taylor

3.0 out of 5 stars A few great tracks but not to everyone's taste, 11 Nov. 2007
Elizabeth Taylor (France) - See all my reviews
(VINE VOICE)
This review is from: Retox/Detox (Remixed) (Audio CD)
I decided to invest in this CD after having purchased two of the tracks on-line, and liked them so much, I decided to invest in the CD, unfortunately I was disappointed. The reason for this is that the two best tracks for me (Temptation, Penthouse & Pavement) are the ones I had already had. The only other song that really appealed was Come Live with Me which transformed into a `'loungie'' version of the slow classic.

Everyone's music taste is not the same so maybe this CD will appeal to u, so let me explain what this 2 CD box set contains. What it is not, is an original 1980s mix of Heaven 17 tracks, so if a authentic 1980s sound is what you are looking for this is not the CD for u. What it is are techno-remixes of Heaven 17 tracks by different DJs (using original Heaven 17 vocals), the packaging states that the DJ's produced these themselves on a non-profit basis due to their passion for Heaven 17. The mixes are therefore mainly modern and dance/techo in style, which, means there is not much of Glenn Gregory's great voice and more of dancey repetitive beats. The three best tracks for me are those which make most use of the original vocals.

So if you like Heaven 17 there are a few great tracks on there where the remix really works for me - and I use those to workout in the gym or bounce around in the car. If you like Heaven17 and are a dance/techno fan then this may be for you but it may not suit all tastes especially 1980s fans. I therefore recommend you listen to a few tracks before purchase to make sure its what you want

2.0 out of 5 stars PERHAPS I'M JUST GETTING OLD!, 22 July 2011
HAYLING BOOK & MUSIC VENUE (follow us on Face... (26 Rails Lane Hayling Island) - See all my reviews
(TOP 500 REVIEWER)
This review is from: Retox/Detox (Remixed) (Audio CD)
The first thing to say is that this is excellent value on Amazon at the moment - a double CD set for a few pence. But there is a reason why...

Now to the music - I have always loved Heaven 17 and their originality and this was a brave step, allowing various DJs loose on their back catalogue and with their blessing!

The results are mixed. Some of the remixes are interesting and reasonably likeable but some are just abysmal and now rather dated.

The beats on some of the tracks sound like the music the local youths listen to in their cars - all you can hear is the 'bump bump bump' of the repetitive and monsylabic bass!

With this in mind, a forty something bloke is probably not the target audience for this album! This is akin to Wishbone Ash's flirtation with Trance - for the majority, it wasn't their cup of tea.

Ful marks for experimenation and bravery but only ** for quality. I shall stick to the originals!

5.0 out of 5 stars I don't agree - I really like this, 22 Mar. 2006
This review is from: Retox/Detox (Remixed) (Audio CD)
I agree with the previous reviewer in that this is NOT an album of simple remixes, where the original tune is at the forefront of the sound and where there's just been a bit of twiddling around with the basic ingredients of the original recording.
It's a major rehash and, in places is not all that similar to the original recordings - so don't buy if you just want a simple remix. However, this is one of my all time favourite CD's, found by accident in a secondhand shop in France, bought on a whim several years after I had listened to any Heaven 17.
I really like the extent of the remixes (not to be listened to quietly) which in some cases has the effect of retaining a relatively small portion of the original track and introducing a lot of new stuff (which I happen to really like) - but it is still there. There is a lot of variety betwen the tracks, which is a good job as there are several repeats (including Let me Go x 2, Geisha boys and temple girls x 3) but I don;t find it at all repetitive and I don't think Heaven 17's inpuit has been lost - not for me, anyway.

2.0 out of 5 stars disappointing, 29 Jan. 2006
This review is from: Retox/Detox (Remixed) (Audio CD)
Like so many of today's remixes, the tracks have been altered so much as to render them unrecognisable. The focus point is obviously the latest drum machines and synth kits and has nothing to do with the vibrance and originality of the original recordings which are completely lost here.
If they weren't cashing in on the name Heaven 17, the people responsible for these calamatous remixes could easily package them as entirely new and original works because they have nothing to do with Heaven 17's 80s sound.

Retox/Detox (Remixed)
Retox/Detox (Remixed) by Heaven 17 (Audio CD - 2002)