Format: Audio CD|Change

on 10 October 2004
OK, it's not as good as 'Back to the Light', but it's still a great album. Heavy rockers, ballads, and almost everything in between, by one of the greatest guitarists around.
As mentioned in other reviews, this does grow on you. When I first listened to it, I was dreadfully disappointed, but in fact the more times you play it, the better it seems to become.
This album was written over a fairly turbulent period in Bri's life. As he says in the cover booklet (or whatever it's called...) "This album is the outpouring of a confused brain still trying to make sense of EVERYTHING, and amidst vast areas of despair, finding a few flashes of light...". This shows, especially in tracks like 'Space' (which, despite only being a few seconds long, I love) and the title track 'Another World'.
If you haven't got any of Brian's earlier work (Back to the Light, and Live at the Brixton Academy), go for those before this. But if you like his previous stuff, give this a go. Just don't expect it to be identical to what he's done before.
Please vote for this review if you found it helpful. Thanks.
on 5 September 2001
In 1998, when this album was released, I immediately rushed out on it's day of release and purchased the first copy to be sold in the shop.
I raced home, whacked it in the CD player and pressed play, ready to behold the genius of Brian May pound through my speakers.
And that is exactly what happened - sort of. Brian has seemed a bit uneasy since he went solo. With a six year gap between his first, better, effort 'Back To The Light', and this, it's easy to see that he wasn't quite sure what his next direction would be.
'Another World' is a very mixed bag, but by no means to be written off as bad. It's very good, but hover over the 'next track' button. Some tracks are better than others, and don't expect another 'Back To The Light'.
'Business' is typical Brian - relentless, chugging, wailing, remarkable guitar playing and ever reliable, though sadly now deceased, Cozy Powell, reducing his drum kit to sawdust. 'China Belle' is an unusual rocker in oriental style, followed swiftly by tender ballad 'Why Don't We Try Again'.
We're off to a good start. 'On My Way Up' is an amusing, funky, but ploddy acoustic track that, unfortunately, begins to sound too much like a sing-along-a-knees-up-down-the-pub before too long. Then, we arrive at the shouldn't-be-allowed atrocity that is .. 'Cyborg'. Featuring Foo Fighters man Taylor Hawkins on guest drums, it begins with a bass riff that sounds like someone drowning and is immediately matched by the only redeeming feature - the gob-smackingly complicated lead guitar part, followed by a robot-like voice reciting some truly awful lyrics ('Calling out for the Cyborg/Gonna rub you out', 'Calling out for the Cyborg/Gonna put your light out', 'I'm gonna erase your file' etc.) Only Brian!
Jeff Beck and Ian Hunter of Mott The Hoople fame also appear fleetingly, and there are very creditable covers of Hoople track 'All The Way From Memphis' and Larry Williams' 'Slow Down'. But that's about it.
It has to be said that Brian's voice, although having the range, does not have the power to compete with the strong rhythm and musical backing, and strains on numerous occasions, and has habit of being quite annoying. I await the day a new May album appears (discounting film soundtrack 'Furia'), as it will no doubt feature more of the same, but hopefully, a bit better.
on 18 April 2002
I preferred Back To The Light but this CD is definitely worth a listen and the tracks do grow on you. There are some really hard rock songs such as "Business" that need to be played loud. A few too many mushy ones, though, I thought. The real favourites have to be "On My Way Up" which has a real positive groove (one to play before an interview!); "The Guv'nor"; "One Rainy Wish" (outstanding and deserves to be played really loud!)and "On The Way From Memphis". Some fantastic guitar work and raw lyrics. The title track, for me, is a bit of a let-down. On the whole, though, well worth the wait.
on 21 October 2006
Another World is guitar virtuoso, Brian May's, masterpiece solo CD. This version includes the exemplary instrumental song F.B.I. It further bolsters an eclectic and dynamic CD that fuses blues, metal rock and ballads. Other dynamic tracks that permeate this very elaborate record are "Space" "Business" "Wilderness" "Guv'nor" featuring Jeff Beck and the yearning and poignant "Another World" featuring Brian's most tender and wonderful vocals. Brian May is a guitar wizard, a scientist, an author, an astronomer a big-time animal rights activist and a humanitarian. Thank God not the Queen for Brian May !
on 5 July 2006
This album, as many people before me have said is completely different to "Back To The Light". However, I still really like it! I agree with people when they say that it isn't up to the same standards as "BTTL" but it's fantastic in it's own way. I'm currently on my first listen, after having only ordered it 2 days ago and recieved it this morning but from what I've heard so far I love it. I can already see what will be my favourite tracks.

The album is made up from fantastic and well ranged vocals from Brian. He manages it incredibly well considering that he isn't a 'singer' so thumbs up on that front. Along with this there is obviously some mind blowing guitar work, but that's to be expected on any album featuring Brian.

As I said before, this album isn't as good as "Back To The Light" but has it's own charms. I'd recommend it to any fan of Brian because it gives another light to his personality.
VINE VOICEon 27 March 2002
Brian's not too sure where he's going any more by the sound of it, both in his own life (as he opens his heart on songs such as "Business" and "Why don't we try again") and musically as he produces a varied but strangely ordinary collection of songs (by his standards).
Despite that harsh opening paragraph I've given it 4 stars because tracks like "Business" and "China belle" are typical May and with the late Cozy Powell behind him on most tracks it's still a quality rock album with some softer interludes.... but it's not Queen and it's not quite as good as "Back to the Light" so if you're a Brian May fan alone then it's worth picking it up.
Oh and I actually like "Cyborg"!!
on 29 July 2009
I really like this album. A lot of people regard this as inferior to Brian May's first solo album 'Back to the Light', but i have to disagree. The songs on this album are punchier and more varied. Right from the outset, you notice the pounding drums of Cozy Powell on "Business". This album is noticably heavier, particularly on tracks such as "China Belle" and "Cyborg". Sound quality is also clearer on this album than the previous one, the final mix bringing out each individual sound very crisply. Well worth purchasing if you're a Queen / Brian May fan.
on 11 March 2014
Well, it has taken a long time for me to have found this album. I wish I had bought it years ago. I am a big queen fan and thought I would give this a go after buying 'Back To The Light' a while back. I am so glad I did. After listening to the album over and over quite a few times now I can honestly say that this album is one of the best albums I have bought in the last couple of years. It has so much feeling and emotion. If I had to pick maybe 2 tracks from this album that stand out they would be 'Why Don't We Try Again' and 'Wilderness'.

Why Don't We Try Again is my favourite track. It is beautiful, haunting and quite unexpected. I wish I had found this a long time ago. I would strongly advise people to read the inlay as it provides a good background to the thought behind the album.

Anyways I'm off to listen to this album again.

If you are in ay doubt whether to buy this album or not, don't be. You won't be disappointed. When you get it, listen to it a few times, then pass your judgment. I personally think it is better than 'Back To The Light'.
on 25 February 2011
Ignore any negative reviews of the this album. I bought this about five years ago and I still find myself listening to it in the car every now and then. It's a fast, electrifying collection of songs, much more fun to listen to than the frankly depressing Back To The Light. In between the lines you can still hear Brian's heartache about the loss of Freddie Mercury and the dissolution of the band.

This album was originally conceived as a selection of covers of May's favourite songs, but evolved into something new. If you want to hear the tracks he left off the album, buy the Red Special EP too.

Great album, shame he hasn't done any more solo albums. It's been nearly 13 years now, time for more!
on 1 August 2013
Took Doc may along time too follow up back to the light but this absolute stomping album is just as good if not better than back to the light ,this is a must have ,don't have ? you haven't lived !!!