Format: Audio CD|Change

on 25 April 2001
Although poor sales combined with a poor (almost non-existent) promotional drive from the now defunct record label have lead to the band and fans alike slating this album, it is undoubtedly one of Therapy?'s finest offerings. Although a more diverse album, Semi-Detached is comparable to previous effort 'Troublegum', seeing the expanded line-up (with new drummer Graham Hopkins and guitarist/ cellist) return to the hard-edged, yet melodic rock music of their breakthrough album. Every song offers something new, with standout tracks 'Tightrope walker' and 'Tramline', almost unlistenable in parts, quite brilliant. Singles 'Church of noise' and 'Lonely cryin' only', two of the 'popier' songs in the running order boast great sing-along choruses, although they are not the best tracks on the record by any means, being overshadowed by the less radio-friendly 'Black eye purple sky', 'Safe' and 'Born too soon'. With the emotional 'The Boy's asleep' concluding proceedings, listeners will be left reaching for the repeat button. Summary: 5 STARS - BUY THIS NOW!
on 8 July 2002
I love this album, it has some reall catchy songs like "Church of Noise", "Lonely, Cryin' Only" and "Don't Expect Roses". Most of the songs are great and well worth the listen to. The only thing I find slighty odd is the guitar intro to "Safe" sounds extremely similar to a song by Black Sabbath called "Heaven and Hell". Apart from this I would by the album, but if you are one of the people who are after more "Troublegum" style music you may not like it. Therapy? are one of the few bands that actually try using different styles of music. For example this album is completely different from "Troublegum" and the album released after this one "Suicide Pact - You First" is again completely different. However I would still buy it if you are a fan of Therapy? or someone who likes rock music.
on 18 June 2010
After Troublegum, the expectations were that Therapy's followup, Infernal Love, would simply be Troublegum Part 2. It wasn't. Maybe they didn't do themselves any favours in terms of sales but they've never been a band to do what's expected. Just as that's true now, it was true in the late 90s when they released Semi Detached. Sitting somewhere between Infernal Love and Troublegum, it's one of those albums that requires more than a couple of listens to really get. At first go, Church of Noise and Lonely, Cryin', Only may seem like obvious pop-rock singles. It's only after a few plays that you can appreciate the punch in the face of the first and the undercurrent of bitterness in the second.

The same is true for much of the rest of the album. Straight Life and Don't Expect Roses have real anger buried below the melodies. Tramline takes hold of its tune, gives it a kicking and throws it out the window. Black Eye, Purple Sky is as much the sound of pulling a friend up out of it as it is Andy Cairns telling himself to not return to the rage of his younger years. And it's superb. Lastly, The Boy's Asleep - a song that makes cellos sound double hard.

If there's a niggle, it's that one or two of the tracks don't realise their full potential. Maybe that was down to the expanded lineup of the band of the time. While you might expect too many members to result in tracks sounding unfocused, a couple are actually thinner than they should be. Even so, Semi Detached is well worth a purchase.

4.5 out of 5.
on 27 March 2008
The late 90s. Therapy? were on TV shows like The Ozone and TFI Friday regularly, Andy Cairns got a bit fatter, and started wearing his hair like all the indie kids of the time. Fyfe Ewing had left the band, and they added a second guitar. Was the record company trying to push them in a poppy direction based on their previous two successful albums?

Probably, but Therapy? didn't compromise, despite the haircuts, and the more mainstream artwork. I didn't like "Church of Noise" when I first heard it on TFI Friday, but I had to admit that the band still rocked.

Therapy? are a real enigma. Really, they shouldn't even be a band, but they continue to make unique and classy rock music. They're the kind of band that you forget how good they are, then you go to one of their shows and they knock you flat, or you listen to one of their old records and it instantly brings a smile to your face. Semi Detached is one of those records. I'd had my interest in Therapy? rekindled lately when I got the Never Apologise, Never Explain LP. I put all my Therapy? CDs onto my iPod, and started listening to them again. I didn't get to this one though, not until a couple of days ago. I always think of it as a slight disappointment; but it's not. It's not as dark as most of the band's other work, but it still has that hard edge, it's still undeniably Therapy? The big chords are still there, the noise is still there, the singalong choruses (should that be chorii? - just kidding) are still there, it's just a tiny bit lighter in feel.

As other reviewers have said, all Therapy? albums are different. Some are great, all are at least worth owning and returning to from time to time. I managed to pleasantly surprise myself when I revisited this one. But then, that's Therapy? for you.
on 20 March 2008
I bought this recently with some trepidation, for years I held my Troublegum album, thinking they were a 1-good-album-band (thanks mainly to an off putting poppyrock single called Diane I think).

How wrong was I!

Suffice to say I have now ordered another 3 Therapy albums!
The album kicks off with (welcoming you to the)
'Church Of Noise' & sends you home with
'The Boys Asleep' so
'Dont Expect Roses' inbetween, but do
'Stay Happy' are all excellently catchy- but not NOT NOT NOT pop.
The rest of the album is good too, I am yet to skip a track & its been on & on & on....
Therapy music is a good breed, they are not afraid to diversify, but keep the grittiness/angst/anger - somehow there is a definite 'them-ness' to their songs, which even when slow keep a heavy style, not bettered or equalled by many (apart from the Smashing Pumpkins)
I hope that the bad single track I heard many moons ago, was an ill advised track, (well we all make mistcakes dont we?) & that I am not gonna find they sold out at some stage- but even if they did, this is a great cd, (currently on Amazon for under £2.50 DELIVERED) easily worth the entrance fee!
on 26 April 2006
therapy? in semi detached continue their undisputed trend of releasing albums that are as rocky and poppy and indie in equal measures,its what they do,i aint stating that they are pop as they arent ,they just bring elements of pop into their chorus' at times and that isnt as bad as it sounds as the songs stay in your head always,this is a more accessible album than high anxiety or suicide pact and is filled to the brim with class songs.

church of noise is the ultimate opener,filled with spiky guitars and cairns distincy lyrics and snarl,its a groove laden song,other classics such as tightrope walker,lonely cryin' only and stay happy highlight the bands all round appeal,the album has all the classic therapy? ingredients that can get you jumping and rocking,never a dull moment here
on 14 September 2011
With regard to Therapy? I would say that 'Troublegum', 'High Anxiety', 'Suicide Pact-You First' and 'Crooked Timber' are indispensable albums.
This one is not. I will update this review should my opinion change.

28/12/2011 Yep. My opinion changed. Listened to this album a good deal more and suffice to say I did it poor service (2 stars before).
It is up there with the best of the Therapy? crowd (see above).
Highlights are 'Church of Noise' 'Black Eye Purple Sky' 'Safe' (awesome!) 'Straight Life' 'The Boy's Asleep'.
Could this even be the best mid-field Therapy? album? By that I mean the Therapy? album that is best placed between 'Troublegum' & 'Crooked Timber', my favourite T? albums.
on 30 March 2006
Right now as I right this, Therapy? blast away in the background taking chunks from my consciousness with their amazing music. With Therapy? I feel like I dont actually need anything else. Kinda relaxing :P
Some absoloutely great songs on here. Church of Noise.. grew on me at first but 'Straight Life' 'Safe' and 'Lonely, Crying' were all instant. Thats not to mention the other load such as 'Tramline' and 'Tight rope Walker' which also blow my mind.
Excellent!
on 16 January 2016
Perfect
on 13 September 2013
I don't think that this is in the same league as Troublegum or infernal love. Sry everyone, but thats just me. The album is samey, but wait you say Troublegum is samey but amazing, but the tunes on this album aren't as mindstompingly cool as the 1st two albums worth.