Format: Audio CD|Change

on 4 July 2001
Well well well, having heard some of Way Out West's more recent stuff like UB Devoid, and the The Fall, I decided to splash out on this album. It was well worth it! I have been listening to it almost non-stop and there is 4/4 trancey tracks, vocal breakbeat, bassy monsters, downbeat chillout, a touch of dark stuff with the excellent track Drive By, and even some hiphop style beats. I would recommend this to anyone remotely interested in dance music because it is pure genius and the ambient, melodic and just downright beautiful wonders available here will leave you astounded and make you think why you didnt buy it before.
on 21 December 2000
Back in 1997, this was one of the first house/trance albums I bought and boy, did I get off on the right foot!
More a collection of singles than an album as such, Way Out West's first effort an absolute belter, packed to the gills with hooky melodies and body-bursting basslines that deliver time after time after time. Expertly produced to be heard on a decent hifi at high volume, this album illustrates that these guys know exactly what they're doing but it is in the melodies themselves that Jody and Nick really come into their own.
This album will appeal everyone because of the hooks, lyrics and the sheer energy that is imbued into every one of the tunes. You can sing along as well as dance to them!
Most people who are into techno/trance/house have this album. Forget the Eurocheese of the last two years - this is proper music.
In short, an essential purchase. Buy it. You won't be disappointed. If I had my way they'd be teaching this sort of stuff in schools. It makes you feel glad to be alive!
on 3 April 2000
Six stars!
Progressive, ambient, downbeat, breakbeat... you name it, it's here, engineered for maximum listening pleasure. If you're a fan of late nineties electronica (BT, Tomski, Disco Citizens, Tilt, Blue Amazon, Chicane, Airscape et al), this album is a must-have. When it plops through your letterbox, like me you'll be annoyed that you hadn't had it sooner: tracks like 'Blue' have such breathtaking scope and *harmony* that they simply never get tiring.
Also check out Nick Warren's chill-tastic album, 'Back to Mine'.
Way Out West's first album, from 1997, is stunning.

For their second and third albums they moved more towards using vocals, but on this album with the exception of a big Joanna Law sample on "The Gift", this is mainly an instrumental album, and proof that an instrumental album can keep you listening over and over without ever getting bored.

You get a good blend of club-friendly tracks and more home-listening-based stuff. On the club side you get the genius of "Domination" (one of the best slowly-building tracks I've ever heard), their hits "The Gift" and "Ajare", and another favourite of mine "Sequoia". If only Way Out West had been a bigger hit and more dance music had ended up sounding like this.

On the home listening side, "Blue" is a version of the main theme from the movie "Withnail & I" into a moody electronic style. "Drive By" is lovely. The only track that doesn't really work for me is the outro "Earth", which sounds to me like a failed attempt to be The Orb.

This album is great, but I have to say, their second album "Intensify" is even better. It carries on the same feel as some of the material on "Way Out West", but with added and stunning vocals and some improved production touches. Particularly if you like pop songs, check out "Intensify" first, but because you'll definitely love it you may as well order "Way Out West" while you're there!
on 13 January 2009
This album apart from the classic The Gift is mostly instrumental and boy is it good. There are not many instrumental albums around that will keep you listening to end never mind over and over again. This really is brillantly put together and should be in everbodys dance collection. The sound out tune is Domination which is still played in clubs and by top DJ's today because it is that good.
on 16 October 2004
For me, this is in the top 5 dance albums ever.
An amazing piece from start to finish. Mindblowing complexity in the prouction, smooth and sometimes edgy.
WOW's finest moment comes from "Domination" a true classic.
They have done well to follow on with Intensify and Don't look back, but this remains the finest.
Music how it should be.
on 29 August 2015
I only liked about 3 tracks and as an ex-clubber of trance/hard trance, deep/funky house. I think some of it is like techno-y and just plain boring or repetitive for my liking.
on 16 January 2013
I hadn't heard of this band before but took a chance on it and was happily suprised. It is great old school electro/dance.
on 4 April 2014
I searched for ages looking for this and now I have found it I love it.A true original classic in every respect
on 31 December 2012
Bought as a gift from my girlfriends wishlist. More browny points for me. What more can I say? many more