5.0 out of 5 stars At Their Best, 15 Oct 2000
mddacarr@aol.com (Seer Green, Enlgand) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Greenslade (Audio CD)
When a friend at school asked me to lend him the "best" album from this band I had been talking about (that no one else had yet heard of) this is the album I gave him. Yes, there may be better individual tracks on other Greenslade albums, but overall the material here represents their strongest compilation of work, in my opinion. And don't get me wrong, there are classics here too, in particular Melange, which remains one of my favourite tracks. The make-up of the band was (and is) unique - two keyboard players and no guitarist - and sounds as good today as it did when first released.

5.0 out of 5 stars One keyboaqrd good, two keyboards better., 28 Oct 2009
T. M. Higginbottom "Mike Higginbottom "19... (Blackpool, Lancashire) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Greenslade (MP3 Download)
In the early 70's BBC Radio One used to have "live" concerts on Saturday evenings. One week it was Wolf (Daryll Way ex. Curved Air) and Greenslade playing for a half-hour each; both new groups. Greenslade were dual keyboard band with no guitarist - Dave Greenslade (ex. Colosseum) and Dave Lawson. They were not the first two keyboard band (e.g. Rare Bird) but their level of symphonic progressiveness and sheer range of "sounds" was, to me, a revelation - although Dave Lawson's singing voice was a bit of a audio 'Marmite'. The key songs on this, their first LP, were - as in the live performance - Feathered Friends, Drowning Man and Melange. More records followed of good music (the next, "Bedside Manners are Extra" often rated as their best - but not by me) but none to compare with this one. By 1976 it was all over - Dave Greenslade has had a fairly good solo career and has put formed / reformed Greenslades from time to time - but not even close to this!

5.0 out of 5 stars Prog at it's best, 23 Oct 2010
BobM (South East England) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Greenslade (Audio CD)
My brother introduced me late in the day to this group, having been a fan of progressive rock since the early 1970's. Took a couple of listens to, but it grew on me and I can say that not one track is anything other than uniquely enjoyable.

5.0 out of 5 stars Wonderbar...pardon my French, 21 Nov 2009
A Kid's Review
This review is from: Greenslade (MP3 Download)
Also worth pointing out, Mike, that Radio One's Saturday evening concerts were actually pre-cursored in the late 60's by the Light Programme's "Workers Playtime", which included early but definitive tracks from artists such as Arthur Askey (e.g. "Hello Playmates" and "Bumble Bee"), The Bonzo Dog Doo Dah Band ("You Done my Brain In") and Ken Dodd ("Tears for Souvenirs")...all Svengali figures to the then adolecent Darryl Way and Dave Greenslade. By 1974 the influence of these 60's titans of pop was crystallised in Darryl's live rendition of "Donkey Serenade" at the WRP's autumn conference at the Blackpool Winter Gardens. The hits that followed, "Golly... You're a Bird!", "Open the Box - I'd Rather take the Money" and "We're Only in it for the Lolly" defined the era in a way that has never been surpassed. Sadly the dizzy heights lasted all too briefly and by the time I saw them in 1987 at the Whisky-a-Go-Go in Barnoldswick they were a tired and emotional shadow of their former selves...the replacement of their previously magnificent Moog Synthesiser with a Rolf Harris Stylophone summing up the entire evening.

Greenslade
Greenslade by Greenslade (Audio CD - 1996)