4.0 out of 5 stars Truely Beautiful
Published on 8 Mar 2001

3.0 out of 5 stars i made a mistake
i made mistake I thought it was the FILM its just the MUSIC from the film.So if future I shall read the details more closely
Published 14 months ago by mutti

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 | Next ›

4.0 out of 5 stars Truely Beautiful, 8 Mar 2001
By A Customer
This review is from: English Patient (Audio CD)
I was initially captivated by the music by of course watching the film which is as equally beautiful. The music is a combination of 30's jazz, Hungarian folk music which incidently sounds very arabic, Bach and of course the haunting symphonic score of Gabriel Yared. The album sums up all the emotions in the film, love, passion, hope, tradgedy, happiness and despair. Utterly compelling and in all honesty some of the most beautiful pieces of classical music i have ever heard. Regardless of whether you have seen the film or not, this is a must have.

5.0 out of 5 stars Oscar Winning score, And Deservedly so !, 21 Jun 2002
Scitzo (coventry, england) - See all my reviews
This review is from: English Patient (Audio CD)
Gabriel Yared has composed some timeless compositions and this in my opinion is his most creative to date.
Not one track is below par out of the 20+ on this CD its an instrumentally tribulant work that is so eminant of the African Locations in the film, it really captured the 1940s and i loved the nostalgic 'Cheek to Cheek' thrown in By Yared to enhance his own Music.
This CD really reminded me of Peter Gabriels 'Last temptation Of Christ' the music ranges from the haunting woodwind tradgedies to Bulgarian folklore and what I liked best was that i didnt find myself skipping tracks because some irritated me, from start to finish it moved and inspired me, and you cant say that for many Artists.
I have appreciated this soundtrack more and more as i have listened to it, on first listening to this i was mildly disappointed as i had another of Yareds work (City Of Angels)and my expectations were that the music would be the same, then i watched the film and the next time i listened to it, the music became much like a picture book improving both the soundtrack and the film. Gabriel Yared is so much more unappreciated than say 'James Horner' (titanic, braveheart ) i consider Yared much more diverse than horner as all Yareds work from 'Betty BLue', city of angels, 'the lover' etc are so different and indistinguishable to Yared, making him in my opinion one of the great pioneers of the classical music for film genre.
I would highly recommend this to any romantic, or soul searcher looking for divine inspiration by way of music.

5.0 out of 5 stars De-Ja Vu, 10 July 2009
This review is from: The English Patient (Audio CD)
Yes, this ost of the 1996 movie repeats itself quite alot, but who really cares......there are 28 songs on this beautiful album and it runs for over an hour; a little repetition is just fine with me.

This ost won an oscar for best music for the Minghella movie. Just like the 1962 david Lean movie 'Lawrence of Arabia', Minghella sought a ravishing musical soundtrack that reflects the mystery of love in the desert.

Composed by Gabriel Yared, this is a brooding symphonic score, which features the Goldberg Variations by Bach (I bought the Bach cd via Amazon, after hearing it on this ost); the mesmerising voice of Marta Sebestyen the Hungarian folk singer; Benny Goodman; Ella Fitzerald etc......

I have been listening to this album for years, and i never tire of it. Standout tracks include 'I'll be back', 'Rupert Bear' and 'As far as Florance'.

After i listen to it, i have a tear in my eye and sand in my shoes.

"We die............... we die rich with lovers and tribes,
tastes we have swallowed, bodies we have entered and swum up like rivers,
fears we have hidden in, like this wretched cave.

We are the real countries, not the boundaries drawn on maps with the names of powerful men.

I know you will come and carry me out into the palace of winds. That's all I've wanted -- to walk in such a place with you, with friends, on earth without maps."

4.0 out of 5 stars An interesting and highly sensitive collection of songs, 12 Jun 2001
By A Customer
This review is from: The English Patient (Audio CD)
Having loved the book and been disappionted by the film, i was intreiged by the different styles of music I heard throughout the film. The soundtrack is sensitive and melodious, charting the different lives, stories and cultures that the main characters lead. The tracks are a collection from different countries, from a Hungarian ballad to Ella Fiztgerald and Fred Astaires very different recordings of "Cheek to cheek". It is a lovely album, very relaxing and every track is different, each superb in its own way. However the classical melody composed by Gabriel Yared is slightly repetative as it occurs frequently during the album. A work of art in it's own right, which seems to capture the spirit of the book better than the film does. Buy it if you like your music well thought out and meaningfull.

5.0 out of 5 stars Excellent!, 25 Feb 2007
This review is from: The English Patient (Audio CD)
Some people have critisised the OST for being too repetitive- on the contrary i think the repitition and the length of the listening experience helps to trace the narrative arc of the film. The central leitmotifs used - Bach's Aria from the Goldberg Variations, Marta Sebesteyn's Szerelem Szerelem and Gabriel Yared's own theme are devastatingly effective in the context of the film but I don't think you will need to have seen in it order to appreciate the music! The swing music by Benny Goodman is simply fantastic and evocative of the era.

5.0 out of 5 stars Haunting, 27 April 2005
This review is from: English Patient (Audio CD)
If you loved the film then this will only enhance that pleasure. It is impossible to not relive the film in your memory when you listen to this CD. My favourite has to be "Read Me To Sleep".

5.0 out of 5 stars Evocative soundtrack, 18 April 2008
This review is from: The English Patient (Audio CD)
This is my favorite soundtrack album. I like the almost heartbreaking tracks such as 'Rupert Bear' and 'As far as Florence'; the exotic sound of others that conjurs up the desert and the fun ones such as 'Wang wang blues'. Most soundtrack albums have a few good good tracks but that is all. This is so complete and is a pleasure to listen to all the way through.

5.0 out of 5 stars Beautiful peaceful music, 6 Oct 2013
Mrs. Lynda A. Byford (Great Yarmouth ,England) - See all my reviews
This review is from: The English Patient (Audio CD)
This music is quite lovely .I f you have seen the film as I have multiple times , each piece sends your mind back to the relevant scene in the film , the Hungarian lullaby, where she sits and copies pictures of the swimmers found in the caves at the Gulf of Kabir onto paper to put into his copy of Herodoteese. The planes flying over the desert ,to the dance songs of Irving Berlin . A great CD,I don't normally buy soundtracks but I have this copied onto my various 'toys' and even brought my musical father a copy. He agreed -it is beautiful music.

5.0 out of 5 stars The English patient soundtrack, 3 Oct 2013
This review is from: The English Patient (Audio CD)
Beautiful music. I nearly forgot how lovely the soundtrack of this wonderful film was. A real treat to listen in the car

5.0 out of 5 stars Cultured soundtrack., 22 Aug 2013
This review is from: English Patient (1998) (Audio CD)
After watching this excellent film I just had to own the soundtrack. The music is beautiful and evocative of the feel of the movie, a tragic love story. The overall indian themes dotted throughout the album rival the excellent recent Life of Pi sountrack. Highly recommended for great film soundtrack collectors.

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 | Next ›

The English Patient
The English Patient by Gabriel Yared (Audio CD - 1997)