5.0 out of 5 stars Ange's theatrical rock, 11 Nov. 2009
Deven Gadula (san francisco, ca, united states) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Le Cimetiere De Arlequins (Audio CD)
I think that this is the overall strongest album of Ange. First of all, if you have not listened to their music at all and especially if you have not listened much to the rock music of the early 1970s, or not for a while, you need to go through your quarantine period. Do no listen to this album once but listen to it all day long. Every next time you hear the same song you will like it more, I promise. This music might not be Close To The Edge or Lamb Lies Down On Broadway but it does grow on you just fine (which as you know is a great sign). My first exposure to Angie was hearing one of the most beautiful rock songs I ever heard. When I love a song as much as I love Sur La Trace Des Fees (Emile Jacotey) I search for more similar songs by their creators and I end up buying all of their music, including their solo releases. That allows me to get the big picture and to compile their music later on, for my personal use. I mostly focus on songs which either contain the most spiritual or emotional content or create a nice mellow atmosphere, because such is my personal taste. Ange has left us many such jewels behind.

Ange was the most prolific and the best progressive rock band coming out of France. Their golden years where between 1972 and 1976, and a lot of their fans list their Au Dela Du Delire (1974) album as their favorite. I prefer the lighter atmosphere of this album, Le Cimetiere Des Arleqins (1973). Another significant album is Emile Jacotey (1975). The music of Ange is so theatrical that I can't really compare it to any one English band, but Van Der Graff Generator joining hands with the Genesis of the same 1971-1975 years, adding some King Crimson to the mix and possibly 5% of Black Sabbath could get us close. I love English language but it does get a bit boring to listen to one language over and over. I find it a greater listening experience to mix things up a bit and French language is truly beautiful. Ange did release one album in English but again, part of my attraction is their French language. Christian DeCamps has raised the bar of what could be considered singing. He sometimes sings with a beautiful voice, sometimes he just talks and sometimes screams and makes it very dramatic. Again, his approach is extremely theatrical which I find very appropriate for a French vocalist. I guess my favorite songs of this album are #7, #8, #3, #2. As far as the overall music of Angie, the following songs are my favorite: Sur La Trace Des Fees, Around The Fireside, Virgule, La Route Aux Cypres, Ballade Pour Une Orgie, Atlantis, Elle Fait Mes Ridles, Dans Les Poches Du Berger, Dignite, Interieur Nuit, Patisonges Et Mentisseries, Le Bal Des Laze, Couleurs En Colare, Le Soir Du Diable, Quelquefois, Bivouac 1.

5.0 out of 5 stars Ethereal Classic, 25 May 2008
Peter Duff (london) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Le Cimetiere De Arlequins (Audio CD)
Ange played keyboard and vocal led progressive music of outstanding quality during the early seveties. Singer Christian Dechamps has a razor edge to his voice that sometimes borders on the manic and his brother's ethereal mellotron sound was so distinctive that I have never heard the instrument sound like this anywhere else. The opening track "Ces Gens La" is a Jaques Brel cover that is a rolling cavalcade of mellotron and lead guitar underpinning the brilliant vocals, Killer! A real must have record for any serious collector of the progressive rock genre.

Le Cimetiere De Arlequins
Le Cimetiere De Arlequins by Ange (Audio CD - 2000)