Format: Audio CD|Change

on 8 April 2009
I bought this album to widen my knowledge of the '60s folk scene. I contains folk as well as some gospel, blues and country. As a collection of folk songs, it's not as good as some of the Joan Baez stuff I have; but clearly, if I was buying this because I wanted to know more about folk, then perhaps I'm not the best person to compare. It seems though that there is as much gospel material than folk, plus a significant proportion of county, and blues tracks. Regardless, the album yields an enjoyable listen, and I may well pursue some of the artists included.
on 22 October 2000
Apart from featuring the only known recorded collaboration between Pete Seeger and Bob Dylan, this album consists of a superlative selection of performances from what used to be the premier American folk festival in the early 1960s. The usual suspects are there - Phil Ochs, Tom Paxton, etc. What makes the CD really special are the considerably rarer songs by the likes of Jim Garland and Sam Hinton. All in all, an excellent introduction to American topical music from a certain era - and a must-have for established aficionados of the genre.