1 Review

5.0 out of 5 stars A String of Pearls....., 12 May 2012
Tim Kidner "Hucklebrook Hound" (Salisbury, UK) - See all my reviews
(TOP 500 REVIEWER)    (REAL NAME)
This review is from: Diving for Pearls, Vol. 1 (Audio CD)
If you like your minor, indie 80s and early 90s, with a veer to the lighter, non electronic side, here is a real gem. When I mis-filed it in my 500+ CD "system" and I thought I'd lost it, I was very miserable indeed. It was one of those real finds S/H in a proper record shop - ones that we treasure even more, because it was "meant to be".

For those that know, these are sublime little numbers, that happen to follow each other beautifully, though they do vary in style. Some tracks you'll know and possibly like me, many not, but it's those that are the real surprises.

Without further ado, the tracks:

Department S - Is Vic There?; Stone Roses - Sally Cinnamon; Paul Quinn & Edwyn Collins - Pale Blue Eyes; Kirsty MacColl - A New England; Everything But the Girl - Night & Day; Red Guitars - Good Technology; Sugarcubes - Birthday; Spacemen 3 - Hypnotised; Mari Wilson - Cry Me a River; The Monochrome Set - Jet Set Junta; The Au Pairs - It's Obvious; Robert Wyatt - Shipbuilding.

Believe me, if I didn't think it worth the effort I wouldn't have bothered to take the trouble to write at that list if I didn't think the album was well worth it.

Red Guitars' "Good Technology" is a particular favourite of mine. And, please note, it's SugurCUBES, not babes....a whole heap of difference!

The album is topped off with Robert Wyatt's gloriously hypnotic hit "Shipbuilding", from which the CD's title emanates from.

I've been looking on the quiet for Vol 2 for years.....